Ktm 50 jetting - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Ktm 50 jetting

Can anyone tell me a good place to start with a 2013 50 sxs for pilot jetting? It doesn't foul but it hates to start and oil drips from the pipe so I believe its idle circuit is too rich.

Also, is it normal for them to have clutch drag? I can't start it unless it's back tire is off the ground when it's cold. My son lost interest in it and wants another 4 stroke since I have to start it for him each time.

To be honest this has been a very troublematic bike. It's hard to start, the clutch cover has leaked since new and the rear suspension kicks up over every little bump regardless of setting. I'm going to try to address the problems one at a time, but if I can't get it right I'm going to have to sell it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 07:56 AM
What the curtains?

I'd try lowering the needle jet by raising the clip a notch
or so. It's easier than fiddling with replacing jets.

There is a thread on Sportminicycles about a cracked clutch
hub causing a similar issue. Read through the sticky.

2008 KTM 950 Super Enduro R
2008 Husqvarna 610 TE

Past Rides
'14 Honda NC700X
'11 Husaberg TE 300
'06 Ducati 1000S Multistrada DS
'04 BMW 1150 RT
'03 KTM 450 EXC
'02 KTM 640 LC4e
'01 Honda XR650R
'00 KTM 520 EXC
'98 Honda XR600R
'95 KTM 620 RXC
'90 KTM 500 MX
'88 Yamaha TT600
'86 Yamaha XT 350
'84 Yamaha IT465 (STOLEN)
'83 Kawasaki KDX 450
'83 Honda CB1000 Custom
'82 Kawasaki KDX 400
'77 Yamaha DT200
'70 Honda CT70

See you at Papa Fernandez!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

The needle only controls mid range throttle though, so that wouldn't help the rich idle. I guess I will just drop a size and buy a few extra sizes.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 03:10 PM
What the curtains?

From motorcycle repair website.

"The idle jet system (comprised of pilot air jet, pilot fuel jet and pilot fuel screw) controls from 0% to about 25% of the throttle opening. The throttle valve controls 0% to 35% of the throttle opening. The needle jet and jet needle control from 15% to 80% of the throttle opening and the main jet controls 60% to 100%. This means that when you open the throttle about one eighth of the way open, all of the gas/air mixture going into your engine is controlled by the idle jet. As you can see, the different jets over lap the operating range of each other. That is, the jet needle starts to effect things before the effect of the idle jet ends. This is something to remember when working on carbs... everything is interconnected. Change one thing and it will effect other things."

2008 KTM 950 Super Enduro R
2008 Husqvarna 610 TE

Past Rides
'14 Honda NC700X
'11 Husaberg TE 300
'06 Ducati 1000S Multistrada DS
'04 BMW 1150 RT
'03 KTM 450 EXC
'02 KTM 640 LC4e
'01 Honda XR650R
'00 KTM 520 EXC
'98 Honda XR600R
'95 KTM 620 RXC
'90 KTM 500 MX
'88 Yamaha TT600
'86 Yamaha XT 350
'84 Yamaha IT465 (STOLEN)
'83 Kawasaki KDX 450
'83 Honda CB1000 Custom
'82 Kawasaki KDX 400
'77 Yamaha DT200
'70 Honda CT70

See you at Papa Fernandez!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

That's kinda what I was getting at, changing the needle isn't going to clean up the rich condition when the throttle is closed at 0-5%.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 12:51 PM

Hi,
We have a 2014 sx50 for my son.
Regarding the clutch dragging, ours is exactly the same. That is until it's been ridden and the gearbox oil and clutch are warmed up, then it's fine.

We too had the same issue regarding the jetting and no matter what I did there wasn't much difference. So I bought the 19mm race carb which comes with leaner jets to start with.
75main jet
45pilot jet
Straight away after installing this I noticed as massive improvement in the bike. It was very very crisp. I repacked the silencer and to date I have no spooge (oil) running out of the silencer. And it's helped my sons riding a lot.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 11:18 AM

may I ask where you bought that race carb?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

KTM 50 nightmare!

So, I likely will never own another ktm after this bike, its been nothing but problems since I bought it, I fix one thing and up crops another.
My Son hasn't even gotten to ride it long enough to actually get fast on it.

First I bring it home from the dealer in 2013 as a slightly used 2013 model, someone supposedly bought it and it was too fast.
First night home all the oil leaks out all over my basement floor.
I find out the dealer had been into the side cover for some reason and destroyed the threads on the case using the wrong size bolt. I called them up and all they would do was sell me the case half at dealer cost... Mind you it was right after I bought it!! So I helicoiled that bolt hole instead of dealing with perhaps the worst dealer ever.

Next the rear shock breaks.
Next the kicker gets stuck down, so I replaced the little C spring after reading how common it was.
Next it starts overheating. So thinking it was running lean from sitting so much since it was new, I cleaned out the carb and checked for air leaks.
Then the ignition stator burns out. Replaced it with over priced ktm unit.
Then the reed valves break.

ALL of this has happened... in less than a liter of motul through it. I'm not kidding I still have the original liter of motul (half full) that came with the bike. He hasn't rode it because he lost interest because its always broken. Most of the premix I add ends up getting drained and used in my lawn tools so it doesn't go bad, since this is always breaking.

So today he wants to ride with his friend, so I take him out and all the sudden the thing sounds like the gear box is a buzz saw. The kicker lever tries to jump down and its making grinding noise.

I took it apart and I see nothing wrong, but the gears are making a terrible noise. When he rides it, it sounds like its about to explode and to top it off its running hot again.

So, any advise would be appreciated, I'm going to upload videos of the gear box and him riding in the field on it making the noise. Its intermittent so you have to listen for periodic grind noise.

https://youtu.be/jmwaphwO8MA

https://youtu.be/__L3gut3jrw

Last edited by 92rslt1; 10-09-2016 at 09:06 PM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 02:53 PM
Full Throttle

Your story sounds like my friends story except it was an aprillia.
Friends youngest son was winning everything so he told his dad he chooses Aprillia over a KTM for an upgrade.
New bike Literally broke down everytime it was raced or padock tested until the little guy cried enough and my friend said he didnt want to put his son through anymore sorrow.He became a strong little guy pushing his bike back to the pits everytime.

current -2007690SM
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 02:14 AM
Full Throttle

I watched the video. One thing i would try is to use the old school techniques in diagnosing noises using ear tubes and screw drivers.

To me it sounds like a misalignment noise.

current -2007690SM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode