Howdy and my new Adventure - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum > General Discussion > Starting Line

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Howdy and my new Adventure

Thought I'd say Hi. Just picked up this Adventure R last week and rode it home from California (to Colorado). Had a great time and look forward to many more great times riding it.

Just picked it up near Pismo Beach, CA-

Jammed in the mess of a garage with my ZX 11-
rnoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Running around knees bent

Welcome.

Nice clean bike.

I suppose we will be reading your posts about an Alaska to Tierra del Fuego ride soon....

Past Rides
'03 KTM 450 EXC (SOLD)
'01 Honda XR650R (SOLD)
'00 KTM 520 EXC (SOLD)
'98 Honda XR600R (SOLD)
'95 KTM 620 RXC (SOLD)
'88 Yamaha TT600 (SOLD)
'86 Yamaha XT 350 (SOLD)
'84 Yamaha IT465 (STOLEN)
'83 Kawasaki KDX 450 (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1000 Custom (SOLD)
'82 Kawasaki KDX 400 (SOLD)
'77 Yamaha DT200 (SOLD)
'70 Honda CT70 (SOLD)
bajadog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to rupertu

Its a great bike.. I am currently riding around the world on one. Completed 23,000kmsin Africa and now riding through Europe before we (the missus and I) head to Russia and china. We are thinking of continuing through north and south America if we can afford. We also have same panniers as you so your set up is very similar. We changed belly pan for Touratc one which is a bit more reobust for the rocky off road stuff in places like Namibia and north Kenya. Also a touring windshield which makes all the difference and heated hand grips... as Alps, Turkish mountains and Ethiopian highlands get chilly.

Watch the fuel pump and if any problems change the fuel filter which is a pain, although I expect in USA fuel isn't crap like Africa. Only other problem is that my rear shock went in Egypt... no idea why and not covered by KTM warrantly so was rebuild which White power can do. The catalogue shows 3 rear springs of different tension and maybe the firmer one is an idea for the big trip... but depends on loading.

Pics and all on our website

www.bigbiketrip.net

Last edited by rupertu; 04-07-2012 at 02:59 AM.
rupertu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the welcome.
Rupertu- I have been to your site and read about your trip, went there when I saw you posting questions about the shock rebuild on this or other forums. I love what you're doing and wish you the best!

Baja- only partially correct. Another Adventure (2011 990) riding friend and I are working up details for a July trip to Prudhoe Bay, a little over 7000 miles round trip from our home in Colorado. Will definitely post up when the trip happens, but not making a big deal yet as it's not set in stone.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
baz

Default 990 adventure

Hi,nice bike I owned the 07 model but sold it after one year[the missus did not like being on the back,so we bought her a bike as well and I downscaled to a 690 E]although I did not own mine long enough there is a problem with some bikes with the fuel filter getting dirty.
A friend bought a used 2010 model and did about a 4,000 k trip out to the simpson desert and back and it broke down about 300 k from home with this problem, at that stage the bike had done just under 20,000 k and it is caused by dirty fuel.
It can be prevented though as there is an accessory that plugs into the bike and basically self cleans the fuel filter every time you turn on the ignition.
The number 1 ktm adventure riders dealer in Australia has them,you can find them at www.dalbymoto.com.au and then go to the adventure news section, It also fits the 690.
If it were me I would not go anywhere without one, it has only been out about a year or so and was not available when I had mine,hope this helps,baz.
baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Baz, thanks for the info, I'll look into it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement