KTM Reliability ? - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

KTM Reliability ?

Hello,

I do not, as yet, own a KTM. I joined this forum for the sole reason of asking a question. I am going to buy an Adventure/Touring bike and I have been researching all makes and models. The one question I have is why, when I look at used KTM's, don't I see any high mileage KTMs? I see BMW GS's with 100K plus. I don't think I have ever seen a KTM with more than 30K.

My friend thinks it's because KTM does not have a large dealership network so riders are nervous about traveling long distance without support. Another friend claims KTMs don't survive that long.

Can anyone offer some true KTM owner insight on this?

Thanks,

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:55 PM

KTM longevity

The bikes survive. It's the riders that expire. Then, according to the riders wishes, the surviving bike is buried with them.

keep you nose to the wind
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 02:57 AM

Well i bought mine KTM with 4k km (2013 model) so before i bought him i wrote here smillar thread, coz i saw also alot of ktm's with low millage compared to the other bikers, but i think that there is alot of ppl who buy KTM as first bike, and KTM is very agressive so i think maybe is too much for some ppl thats why they selling them fast with low millage. I can't tell you anything about "Reliability" coz i own him for about 2 months and i did only 600km.
Ps. i'm from Corsica and i see here almost every day tourists motorcyclists from over the world, alot of them are on KTM's Adventure or Super Duke, some times even duke 690, so i think is a good sign.

Last edited by Zolty; 06-18-2016 at 03:02 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 05:49 AM

Ive always been a fan of KTM. I had a Yamaha for a brief period and went right back to KTM. They do have a lot of downfalls though.
Ill break it down.
Pros: -Amazing Power, KTM's can be rode stock by a beginner or a pro. Itll give you the exact power you want to use weather its a slow fun ride or balls to the wall racing.
- A lot of customization to fit your needs. KTM has aftermarket parts for everything.

Cons:
-Expensive. Off the showroom floor or used, KTM's hold value and your wallet will feel it initially buying one.
- Very fragile. What I mean is, bikes break right? You fix it and a couple rides later something else minor breaks, its life. What I found with KTM's is everything minor goes fast. Minor things that wont stop your ride or DNF you at race but small things that add up in value in a great way. Bearings, linkages, fork seals, exhaust pipes, levers etc.

Overall- I think its worth it. Reliable, durable (where it really matters), and do you know of a bike that looks more badass than a KTM? hahaha

I hoped this helped you a little. Keep in mind that this is just MY opinion. Not facts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 09:59 AM

i will do small offtopic here but when i was small i had small romet 50cc

Every familiar mechanic was able to repait it for 1 beer hehe.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 10:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolty View Post
Ps. i'm from Corsica and i see here almost every day tourists motorcyclists from over the world, alot of them are on KTM's Adventure or Super Duke, some times even duke 690, so i think is a good sign.
Hey man, riding around Corsica is on my bucket list of things to do. Beautiful part of the world, I hear. And by the way, when I was a teenager (in France) I too was riding a 50cc moped (mobylette bleue).

Current Ride : 1290SA
Previous mounts have included: BMW K1200R, MV Agusta Brutale 910R, BMW R1150GS, MV Agusta Brutale 750S, Honda VFR800, Yamaha XS650, Honda 400/4 supersport, Honda 360 twin etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode