KTM Forums banner

Anyone want to talk 990 Sd

18K views 135 replies 14 participants last post by  Jordo 
#1 ·
I am big on the ktm dirt bikes, but I am thinking it is time to get into the road bikes. My budget unfortunately will not buy me a 1290, but a 990 sd is on the cards.
Questions: If I can buy an 09, 2 grand cheaper than an 06/07 but has 15000kms more, do I buy the 09? I think so.
How many kms are they good for?
I know about the water pump issue, but I was just going to fit a hardened shaft if it hadn't been done already.
What other issues?
Best year models?

#4 ·
Very helpful guys, I really appreciate it, thanks heaps. I think I will go for the 09. Newer is better yes? and it only has 15000 more kms than the earlier ones listed and is cheaper. I do 15000 in a year anyway, so I would only be a year behind.
I also prefer the look of the 09.
By the look of those reviews the 05-07 were basically all the same and the 08-12 were the same (basically)
I might fit the hardened water pump shaft to it if I get it, then replace the seal every second service.
Sold 1 of my dirt squirters, one to go, hopefully tomorrow, then it's SD time:grin2:

#5 ·
Very helpful guys, I really appreciate it, thanks heaps. I think I will go for the 09. Newer is better yes? and it only has 15000 more kms than the earlier ones listed and is cheaper. I do 15000 in a year anyway, so I would only be a year behind.
I also prefer the look of the 09.
By the look of those reviews the 05-07 were basically all the same and the 08-12 were the same (basically)
I might fit the hardened water pump shaft to it if I get it, then replace the seal every second service.
Sold 1 of my dirt squirters, one to go, hopefully tomorrow, then it's SD time
I always had a soft spot for the 990SD DW, I think the better fuel range of the post 07 model (120 miles vs 90 miles) and better rear shock spring would make it worthwhile. Have fun looking and post up some pics ;)

#7 · (Edited)
It is Official

I was going to hold off until the next group ride us south east qld guys are having, but f*ck it.
I waved my much loved and loyal 525 away :crying2:, but replaced it with an 09 990 superduke.:grin2:
So I guess I am in the super duke owners now. (have to change my avatar title).
Was pretty cheap for the year I got, but has a few ks on the clock, but I expect it will handle a lot more.
One owner from new, stock as a rock and judging by the 30mm chicken strips on the rear tyre I would say he wasn't a hooligan like me.>:)
This is also my first big v-twin and I have noticed a reasonable vibration through the pegs at revs, but I'm guessing that is probably normal. No where near as bad as my old 500 2 stroke was.

So what should I do first? Set of akro's maybe as this thing sounds like a mozzy on steroids at the moment.

Oh yeah, a picture. Yes it is on a trailer, only because the whole family wanted to come and pick it up and my wife doesn't like towing a trailer. First and last time it should be on one of those.

Attachments

#8 ·
@DW that's awesome, plenty of fun to be had there, if you can afford I'd go pipes/filter/powercommander first up :)

Reactions: DW
#9 ·
Great looking SD. the Sdr was my first twin and yes they do have some personality (vibes). You will find the rpm it likes in each gear either cruising or getting on it and the vibes will almost disappear against the rumble and the wind.

#10 ·
Congrats DW!

Nice bike.:grin2:

Don't forget the "little bikes" you help out with now that you've gone poly cylinder.:wink2:

Reactions: DW
#12 ·
Thanks guys, responses have been awesome.

Kb, now that I think of it, I think it already has a different air filter in it, but exhaust is definitely stock. Quietest bike I have ever owned. I noticed the akro's are pretty expensive for them, here in Oz anyway. I might wait and see if a good second hand set pop up.

Baja mate, I will still keep trolling the dirt squirter forums, I have been a bit slack lately though. I still want an older 2 banger, never know I might end up buying the 380 you have been looking for>:)

Njd, I was thinking those vibes were normal, you can really notice it under acceleration through the pegs. I think I might have to do something about the rear suspension though, I would get more travel sitting on an iron bark stump than it at the moment, but the previous owner did have 20kg's on me.

Scrubby, you alright aye, let's get these 2 sd's out and give the south/east 690 boys a reason to go bigger. I don't know if you could learn anything from me though. We will find out in a couple weeks anyway. I know I probably won't be following 690arrr on the back wheel this time as I am still getting use to this thing. I can get her up and hold it for a little bit, but I am still a little afraid I am going to go past the vertical:surprise:

#13 ·
I haven't bothered to search through the threads, but does anyone know if and what year they improved the 990 waterpumps? My coolant is green as, no sludge and the oil is good to. I know in the 09 they went to the longer shaft style, so does that mean it's the improved pump? I am just asking as the original owner of this bike has never done the wp and said the bike has never had a coolant issue or coolant in the oil and it has done 50k + kms. I have ordered a kit anyway, but I was mainly just wondering.

#14 ·
Correction, 09 they went to upgraded housing, I think 07-on they had a different wp shaft.
Anyway, I have ordered a new one. Going to fit it for piece of mind.

#16 ·
I am wondering whether the 990 sd has a buffer plate in the fuel tank or surge pot? I have noticed when I am not far off the low warning light, but still not on, when I accelerate out of the corner the bike surges like it is running out of fuel. I kind of figure it might be due to the braking before the corner and all the fuel rushing to the front of the tank and away from the pump.
I might just have to always keep it at least a 3rd full as I don't want to burn out the fuel pump.

#19 ·
Maybe, I just fitted a set of yoshi cans on, thanks to one of our members (stellmon). I thought it would back fire on throttle cut and be to lean, but it appears to be perfect. I think it was rich before as you could smell the unburnt fuel.
Is it yours?
How much?

#20 ·
it owes me 150 euro, if you want it you can have for 150 euro, it will sit in my garage for a while more .I havent been able to secure a 990 and it looks like im staying and playing with the 690 now that ive geared it up further.
Actually one more speeding fine for me and they take my finnish license :|

#21 ·
Will you hold it for me.
I will buy it. I just have a $500 power bill to pay and 2 registrations due next month, so if you can hold it for me and you don't find a 990, I will grab it.

#23 ·
I just have a $500 power bill to pay and 2 registrations due next month,
HOLY CRAP , now ive got melbourne memories of mum telling me to have a 5 min shower , dont leave the lights on when I go to school.

My last electricity bill was 8 euros from an apartment building.

#24 ·
This maybe a dumb question, but obviously the 990 sd fuel tank is plastic, but if you wanted to polish it if it's starting to fade, is it painted or do you use plastic polish. Obviously the painted guards you would use normal car polish, but I was thinking it was just black plastic so I started polishing mine with plastic polish, either it's really bad or it is painted, because I am getting a lot of black sh-t on the polishing rag!
Hope I haven't buggered it. @weeksy might know. You are the polishing guru.

#27 ·
Yes. I know. Trust me it took a fair effort. Plus a few scotch's. Hadn't washed it since I come from your place, still had scrubby dirt road all over it. Wife said "you're not going to the toy run with it looking like that?"

#29 ·
Looks ok. The underneath photo if you expand it you should be able to see the grey patches I was talking about.

Attachments

Reactions: weeksy
#30 ·
#31 ·
Cool, thanks mate. I will see how it goes over the next couple months. I know I have some mothers black trim and plastic restorer. Might be the way to go.

#33 ·
Maybe when I stop breaking sh*t. Just spent $300+ dollars on a new chain and sprockets. I am suppose to be buying a power commander off this bloke in finland, but seem to keep spending money on essentials (tyres ect).
I was going to paint the frame orange, as I wanted the R look, but we actually have a hydro dipping mob here in Bundy which will do both wheels for $300. Should look a bit like the below. I might get the wheels done then I don't need to pull the bike apart.
Do you not like the white tail plastics?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.