KTM Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SD\R\GT Daily pics&works no1

475K views 2K replies 207 participants last post by  Troppo 
#1 ·
Today is a great day in the garage. Bike has 400 miles and it's time to get rid of that proboscis sticking off the rear and add the Ktm Carbon slip on holder. Since the rear seat cover is in order, the passenger foot pegs are going too.

#7 ·
My Duke took a hit tonight. I was away for a week. Came home and jumped on the bike. Truck in front of me kicks up a baseball sized rock and I tried to avoid it but.....

BANG.
header pipe sacrificed itself to save the oil reservoirs life. And / or prevent a very probable cracked right side engine case. I went over the whole right side while holding back the urge to vomit and that appears to be the only impact point. Not happy, but very lucky at the same time. My new baby has a hell of a bruise.

#11 ·
SUCKS!!
flipping bad luck, but at least it hit your bike and not your head.

We had some cool, dry air yesterday and I managed an 80 mph wheelie in 3rd gear:) When this monster hits that 2nd burst it scares the livin' dogcrap outta me but, I keep doing it.

#13 ·
I use abs always and mtc more than 1/2 the time but I always ride in sport and adding a K&N air filter smoothed things out a bit, I have 6600 so 6000 actual miles of mostly backroads and the engine felt like it was starving for air. I was initially nervous about going in there when the box says 1-3 hrs installation but it's pretty easy with the two plastic pieces with 2 screws in each, 2 screws in the tank, 1 electrical clip and swing the tank around and out of the way then 8 screws to take the filter cover off and there she be, the velocity stacks look serious! just remember to drain the gas before moving the tank, my rubber hose had no clamp and slid right off. i'll look at rottweiler after my link pipe arrives.

#14 ·
thanks for the tank removal info. I am of course thinking about mods, but using control with this one. I modded my 690 so quickly that i forgot what the bike was designed to be. this one im going to enjoy stock for a while and only change things i feel are needed to tune it to my taste. It has more than enough power for the street bone stock for me. I would like a better exhaust note but dont feel like going for it yet.

#15 ·
It figures that the day I buy my sdr (during my lunch break) my boss informs me I will be traveling for the next 3 weeks.
But finally I have dropped my bike off for first service. 718 miles on the 10% high odometer hit pretty close to the recommend service interval. Should have it back on Saturday and then I can get busy putting the milage on it.
Can't wait to see if they notice the dented front header. Also he agreed the wheel powder coat issue was a tire mounting issue from factory. So I got that going for me.

#16 ·
Replaced my dented header pipe and also gave my dad the stock slip on I bought at the same time. He took it apart and completely removed the baffle. It looks stock and sounds great. Louder and deeper without being nuts. I'm very happy with it and have no plans to do anything more to the exhaust system.

Also added the Evo tech rectifier cover and am waiting for my newest shipment of power parts to arrive. Pillion seat cover. Ergo seat. Tank pads. Rear stand and a black front fender and race graffix stickers.

#18 ·
Although "The Beast" comes with a steering damper, having the ability to adjust/tailor it to ones riding style is certainly beneficial. Although I've used Scotts in the past (they make a high quality product), this time I went with WP to complete the current WP setup.

#1,341 ·
Although "The Beast" comes with a steering damper, having the ability to adjust/tailor it to ones riding style is certainly beneficial. Although I've used Scotts in the past (they make a high quality product), this time I went with WP to complete the current WP setup.

Mirage YOu mentioned you changed the fluid in the steering damper..
does this take any special tools . Do you know where I could get instructions on how to do mine.. I have a new 2019 GT and it's steering damper is almost worthless it is just too soft.. Thanks Speedy I live in Austin Texas USA

#19 ·
the stock damper is a little weak from the factory. I changed the fluid in mine from the stock water to 15# fork oil and its almost perfect. this winter i will go to 20# and it will be great. just going to 15 made a big change in the lightness of the front end.

#21 · (Edited)
I read previous posts here & elsewhere regarding fluid changes in the stock beasties, living where I do with the roads we got I decided to go the scotts for 2 reasons obvious one the performance & flexibility (or adjustability?) of the thing from extreme sh!t surface to hats backwards love it to death awesome rolling hills/corners & the other was getting the stock thing thee hell away from my rad guard which in turn encourages me to more regular removal & cleaning behind the radguard .. money spent happy days

on the change of oil scenario ... may replace oils in forks before cartridges though :)

#22 ·
Realized that I had flipped my rear blinkers when doing the evotech conversion. So I removed the tail tidy and changed the blinkers left to right. Now the weep hole is down and matches the front.

Rear brake is getting soft again and fluid was black so I bled that and flushed some new 5.1 through it.

Nothing else to do when it's been raining for 4 days. Next move is putting a flat screen in the garage for Internet and tv.

#30 ·
Well my 60mm socket showed up so I got to play with my new static balancer. Rear wheel that had no weights on it from assembly was 47.5 grams out of balance. That is hopefully why I get some vibes at highway cruise.

Not having to mess with chain and sprocket and disc is a great thing. Wheel comes off easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.