2012 ktm 250sx problems - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum > KTM Bikes > Two Strokes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2012 ktm 250sx problems

Hi everyone. Im new to the forum looking for some input on my problems with my brand new bike. First i have been having bogging issues with the bike. I live in south louisiana bike was acting like it was running lean on the top end. Richened up the jetting a little but it didnt solve the problem. Bike is cutting on when i pull in the clutch to shift on the pipe. Also when i rev up before i land from a jump. It is very random, so im not 100% sure its a jetting problem. I was running 50% race gas and 50% 93 pump fuel at 32:1 now im running 40:1 all 93 pump fuel. Since the change i have only been able to ride once and it didnt bog. Any ideas? Maybe ignition problem?
Ok next is a shifting issue, this thing will not shift out of third into forth under a load. I have to let off the throttle to shift. Sometimes its hard to shift into third also. Bike is at the dealer under warranty getting repaired. Mechanic says he found some marks on the shift fork and shift drum, but hes not sure if thats the problem. Any ideas? Thanks
Jpl596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ok bike is back from dealer with new shift fork and shift drum and bike still does not shift smooth, although it does shift a little better. Does ktms transmissions suck? Absolutely will not shift without clutch. Also it still bogs. Seriously, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Anyone have an email address for ktm? I cant seem to find one.
Jpl596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Your reeds are no good pull and inspect they will be no good.
topgearmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Junkie

I like the reed idea for sure, that could be inconsistent.

I had a newer 150sx do something very similar, it would just all of a sudden spike into the powerband when you were feathering the clutch.

I actually attributed it to the powervalve and sure enough, with a little bit of tweaking on the preload screws, it was better. The 250 doesn't use the same design, but still its an interesting thought.

Ohh and NO, I have never had transmission issues with the KTM's. I've ridden quite a few, they've all been spot on. Remember, new bikes are kinda strange, it takes a while for things to wear in and I wouldn't doubt a bit of abuse and your dog ends will wear a tiny bit and you'll be all set.

Mad Duc Roadracing page
Tye™ the Kaytem Pinger Ringer Motocross Blog
tye1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

And I am sure KTM is telling you they have never had this problem.. But you can do a search and find all kinds of cases of this in the 250 and 300. My cases are being split for the second time in 6 months on my 2012 250sx.. There are a few problems going on to cause this problem. 1 is the glide plate and shift star and two is a bearing that keeps getting contaminated by small particals that cause the bearing to get sticky and cause it not to shift under a load.. Had the exact same problem with my 10 and 11 250sx... And they assured me they had it fixed and I would not have to do it again,, Guess not lol.

If I can be of helop in anyway PM me your number and I will call you.

Hope this helps.. Cause I know I am just as frustrated as you that I have had to split my cases two different times in 6 months with a brand new bike!
jk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have a 2012 250SX with about 30 hours on it now with no transmission problems. The bike runs rich on the bottom but screams at about half throttle on up. Will put the leaner pilot in that came with the bike and things should be good. Hope you get yours figured out!

"Those that seek safety and security over freedom deserve neither"!
ktmpegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Have a 2012 sx myself been running good here so far.
I have had no transmission problems but some times third gear I do miss a shift some times but only have like 15 hr on the bike so far.

I have jetted like this needle N1EH / Main jet 160 / Pilot 42
Runs fine just a tad bit of goo out the back end.

Ron.
Ron731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

KTM knows about the problem, have your dealer call KTM North America there are cases of it and I beleive we have found the fix. THe bearing I mentioned earlier is getting particles in it and causeing the shifting to get very notchy or even to the point of not shifting (like Mine) we are trying a half open and a half sealed bearing this time to see if this fixes the problem for good. I will try get the part number tomorrow from my dealer for the bearing.. I have been through this multiple times with my 11 and 12 250sx. And they all thought I was crazy forever but now there are getting to be more and more cases of it but if you dont report it to your dealer they think they dont have a problem.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have a 2012 250sx that will not shift or "powershift" under a load from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. It is very frustrating. It kills me on starts when I can't shift to 3rd gear. I want to fix it but my dealer mechanic hasn't heard of this problem so I'm not too confident in him tearing my bike apart without really knowing how to fix it. If anybody has real experience dealing with this or if ktm is warranting this let me know, thanks.
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

I am telling u guys ktm knows about the problem!! Mine has done it 4 times now they know they fix and I know because my bike has been there experiment lol.. Where do u live? Pm me and I will call u or u can call me! I just want to helP others get this done caus ktm also gave me the run around over and over.
Thanks Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement