790 Adventure USA release date?? - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

790 Adventure USA release date??

I've asked a few dealers and, even though the early buzz was that the 790 Adventure was supposed to hit dealers in the USA in May 2019, no one that Ive asked seems to have a date yet. Do any of you folks know when KTM plans to turn this thing loose?

I'd like the basic model with upgrades rather than the R-model due to the difference in saddle shape and width, as I'd like to mostly tour, not bop around off-road.
LomvMoto likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

And an update. Just called a different dealer who just discussed this with his rep this week. Thanks the delightful folks in Californicated, KTM has delayed release for at least a month till they find a way to meet CA's draconian emissions bullcrap. For every other state, the bike is absolutely OK, and already has less emissions (thanks to the "evappa-crappa" that gets added to US bikes) than any Euro-spec bikes. I say it's high time to let California be it's own country and see how well they support themselves when they don't have the rest of us to support them. {Rant Mode off}

More news, KTM-USA tried to blackmail the US dealers (heard this from multiple dealers) into taking multiple items of product that they had no hope of selling or they would withhold the 790 ADV. Results? MANY MANY dealers said "fine, forget it!", resulting in very few pre-orders. Now, KTM has rethought the error of their ways and is offering the bikes to dealers previously declined in the extortion program.
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:05 PM

Thank you for providing the information on what is causing the delays on the 790 Adventure. I realize it is problematic politically to hurt CA's feelings, but they still could deliver to the other States. I put a deposit for the 790 Adventure in January. (actually for 2 units) That was when they were still expected in April. Then it shifted to May and now who knows. I have plans for a long trip in late June. This would have been my first KTM, however, if there isn't any information soon, I guess I will need to change to plan B. I have considered a 690, though I am not sure I want a single banger for long distances. I was really looking forward to trying KTM, but I may need to go back to the old tried and true and get another BMW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:12 PM

I have a 790R on deposit, I'm the third in line, there were a total of 4 coming to this dealer, who is huge.I was told initial delivery would be in beginning of May.Salesman said KIM usually delivered early in the month.Second delivery is supposed to be in June, that's when mine would come in.There are no set dates, they ship em when they're ready, and supposedly they are limited in supply.I'm kind of surprised at the lack of communication KIM has with the dealer, I went to the dealer yesterday and still no first shipment, I'm hoping they combine both and ship all the bikes together. Salesman also said he heard of a guy in Israel getting one, so I guess the U.S. is low man on the totem pole, not really happy with this.
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleman View Post
I have considered a 690, though I am not sure I want a single banger for long distances. I was really looking forward to trying KTM, but I may need to go back to the old tried and true and get another BMW.
The 690 IMHO still has way too much vibration for any significant enjoyable road time. Even with the 2017(?) improved counterbalancing, I could not find an engine RPM, gearing, or speed that handlebar vibration didn't intrude on ride enjoyment. And that was just on a short test ride. I'd definitely say test ride one yourself before popping the wallet out.
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Probably not su much of a totem pole issue, but rather that they have to do more emissions stuff for US bikes, so that gets added last. Europe doesn't require all the evaporative emissions stuff, so all that has to be engineered and added to US bikes. Then, apparently after all that, CAn has forced them to go even further whit who knows what (and whether it will affect how well the bike runs, as in excessively lean) I already plan to do a "cannisterectomy" on mine upon delivery, as well as to add a Rapidbike EVO piggyback fueling computer as soon as it's offered by Dimsport.
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:47 PM

That's interesting, I thought the European emission standards were higher, the crf450l has 45hp in the U.S. and only 25hp for the euro models, and I heard it was because of emission restrictions.I'm probably wrong but either way it's still frustrating.
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:53 PM

Just be careful about removing stuff as it may void warranty, do you have a deposit on a 790 yet? Every dealer I called were just about out of available stock, and that was a month ago, but i am in the metro N.Y.C area.
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

talked with our local dealer and put my hat in the ring. I'm willing to wait though. There's always the idea that early buyers are the beta testers for all the stuff that didn't show up in development. When has a brand new design ever come out that after 6 months users developed a list of items to make preemptive repairs on? So I'm OK with letting others go through the discovery phase. ;-)

And it seems like a majority of folks hot to trot want the R version, where as I want the base model for the potentially more tour-worthy perch. Of course, if they use recycled particle board for the seat foam like they did on the 390 Duke, I'll be doing a seat rebuild right off anyhow.
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:56 PM

I hear ya, the LC8C has been out for a while so I'm not worried about that. Yeah I want the R because I want to ride hard off road, plus I feel the R may have better resale if I so desire.Who knows, it may be the bike of my dreams, or kind of a let down, only time will tell.If I hear any thing I will let you know, hopefully soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode