Stuff you need to know - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Stuff you need to know

I wanted to start another thread to offer tips and tricks and ideas to share with other riders and request some good ideas from other riders that they would share. I donít street ride but I would hope some of my off road and racing tricks might translate to the pavement pounders as well. I was hoping to add simple maintenance and repair and bike preparation and stuff that may be helpful to some of the newer or less experienced riders. And some of the old school dirty sneaky tricks the old veteran riders used to share( if they liked you)
So I will try to add some stuff as I can,and ask for pictures and descriptions of some of your great ideas. Please put your not so great ideas in my stupidity challenge thread. And deposit your nonsensical ideas in my crap pile etc.etc. etc. thread. Now... if I can think of anything???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Simple basics

Every motorcycle will probably be transported at some point. My bike gets transported with every use and tie downs are simple and easy with tie down loops on rear muffler bolt and fork triple clamps. Inexpensive and simple to install. Mail order purchase from Canyon Dancer products
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	452FA191-E465-476F-8CF6-68A554D27B78.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	544.6 KB
ID:	82140   Click image for larger version

Name:	50F1D316-371B-4850-91F2-53BECF5AB0F8.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	691.3 KB
ID:	82142  
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 07:35 AM
Mega Poster

I have a No-Mar Classic in the garage and do all my own tire swaps. The tech at the local dealer said to be careful breaking the bead so as not to damage the TPS inside the wheel. Anyone else change their own and have an idea how to locate the TPS before breaking the bead?

Also, I want to hook the rear accessory leads to the fused leads for my Gerbings heated gear. Someone said the heated seat hookup required a dealer hooking up the computer and switching it on. Do I need to do this for heated gear that comes with it’s own controllers or is the computer check just for bike-controlled adjustment?
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
My kind of guy

Well good on you for doing your own tire swaps. I am only familiar with the pressure sensor that is incorporated into the tire valve. I donít know the specifics on your model but I would expect to find it there. I kind of looks like a hearing aid that pops in the rim.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 01:52 PM
Mega Poster

Thanks for the tip. I will keep my eye on the valve area.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 03:16 PM
Mega Poster

Still wondering about the accessory leads. Are they always-on or just on with ignition?
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Above my pay grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
Still wondering about the accessory leads. Are they always-on or just on with ignition?
I was hoping one our street bike savvy forum members would chime in with a helpful suggestion for you as I have no specific knowledge of your bike and could only offer generic advice to your question. I would only caution not to add circuits to existing ones. And check accessory fuse circuit for wiring capacity before using. Wish I could be more helpful. But if you had a dirt bike Iíd probably have tons of ideas.... best regards
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 01:28 PM
Mega Poster

Testing of the rear accessory leads, The yellow wire is always on, the red is switched. I haven’t fished them out, but would think the color code up front would be the same. The accessory leads, the lighter outlet and the license plate light are all in the same 10-amp fuse. So no good for powering heated gear, as mine has 2 15-amp fused circuited leads.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
More stuff I remembered

After posting several unrelated posts I remembered an old dirt bike trick I invented or stole(forgot which) my old enduro practice trails were in a swamp and near several deep streams and small rivers. Drowning your bike sucks on a good day and blows friggin chunks when swamp water is crawling with real or imagined snakes and such. Waterproofing airbox is mandatory and a bit of duct tape and air box water check valve will have you waterproof up to the bottom of seat. Some water crossings could put entire front tire underwater and bike would not normally drown. But ignition systems would be submerged and even when our newer bikes used CDI ignition the water will infiltrate under ignition cover. Simple physics here, your motor is running hot as balls through the woods and you quickly quench it in cool water...instantly pushing water past the quickly shrunken cover on your hot motor. You can cement cover with silicone but water will find a way inside past wires or some other location. My trick was to drill and tap small hole in case under ignition cover and connect small hose into airbox inside clean side of filter. This caused a slight suction from motor vacuum to help remove moisture from ignition cavity. This trick may be helpful to some riders with e start motors keep starter and starter drives cleaner under that cover. It was not a substitute for proper cleaning under ignition cover but was helpful keeping ignition moisture free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode