Power Commander, decat, duke 2013 - Page 7 - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cors187 View Post
that muffler clamp is supposed to be closed and attached to outer ,if the system is not working that way it should be , make a little 8 clip . you know what i mean?
I havent seen a cheap decat personally but it can lack material thickness and quality control.
Is it? I thought that too but it wouldn't reach the whole way around, and the nut on the inside edge comes with a set of locking teeth, which didn't make much sense without an actual washer to prevent it from chewing up the plastic mounting. I'll have to try closing it fully and finding a washer for the inner ring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
im feeling the idea, well your on the right track using the pcV, if your combo allows for a earlier torque curve and a later torque drop off then the pcV can pick up those middle revs dips etc to get a wider and higher graph.And ofcourse step over this part throttle issues.
Cool. That seems good. I don't need every last ounce of power, I just want it running smoothly (and not so loud now haha). I'm gonna try to find one of these somewhere https://www.yoshimura-rd.com/collect...ffler-ins-03-k

and just plug the big loud hole. Would I have to have it retuned with just a db killer in? My assumption is no, because I know friends have toyed with putting their dB killers in and out on a regular basis... don't remember it really affecting performance.
post #63 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:02 PM
Full Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals View Post
Maybe I can just buy this and be done with it?

https://www.yoshimura-rd.com/collect...ffler-ins-03-k

I am assuming this plugs into the muffler tip and clogs it up. Not sure if that drastically changes the tuning? I think it's not supposed to, but I genuinely don't know. I'm still a newb to exhausts on bikes!
i can only give you an idea.
i think that tip reducer might be great for the dyno time
its probably going to reduce noise a little at revs . its gonna change the tone for sure.
@augiedoggie likes predicting pipes

nice bit of kit from yoshi

2008 1190 RC8
2007 690 SM

racers toolbox thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:10 PM
Full Throttle

Quote:
Is it? I thought that too but it wouldn't reach the whole way around, and the nut on the inside edge comes with a set of locking teeth, which didn't make much sense without an actual washer to prevent it from chewing up the plastic mounting. I'll have to try closing it fully and finding a washer for the inner ring
see instructions and then complain to yoshi , for all we know its the wrong rubber or something but yes , it needs to close more.

2008 1190 RC8
2007 690 SM

racers toolbox thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
i can only give you an idea.
i think that tip reducer might be great for the dyno time
its probably going to reduce noise a little at revs . its gonna change the tone for sure.
@augiedoggie likes predicting pipes

nice bit of kit from yoshi
Shoot. It seems like if I were to install that db killer then I'd have to get it remapped. I highly doubt I can find one at a local shop before I drop it off tonight. Will probably have to get her back to tune her all over again once I stuff the muffler up.
post #66 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:19 PM
KTM Forums Team Racer

Garage
Quote:
I think the best system for the 690 is the akra full system with the pre silencer , but theres options to fit a small pre silencer to your decat mid pipe if its not to thin. then you can make the akra copy
+1 Mine has the full Akra with the pre silencer and sounds great. It’s loud but not harsh just nice and bassy.

Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
post #67 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:22 PM
KTM Forums Team Racer

Garage
Quote:

Shoot. It seems like if I were to install that db killer then I'd have to get it remapped. I highly doubt I can find one at a local shop before I drop it off tonight. Will probably have to get her back to tune her all over again once I stuff the muffler up.
Any decent dyno shop should be able to install a map for with and without the db killer so that you can switch between the 2 with the switch under the pillion seat.

Always outnumbered, never outgunned.

Last edited by Single assassin; 05-10-2019 at 01:48 PM.
post #68 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Single assassin View Post
Any decent dyno shop should be able to install a map for with and without the db killer so that you can switch between the 2 with the switch under the pillion seat.
For sure. But not until I have a db killer to put in haha.

Just spoke to the shop. They said they were super backed up and would be happy to postpone appointment so I'm gonna do that. Checked with Yoshi and this was their response on the insert:

"I don’t think the db killer will limit the sound that much that you are looking for.* If you deleted that cat and made it straight piped that is were all the sound is coming from .* The DB killer will only take it down 2-3DB"

From my experience, people who take baffles in and out drastically changed the volume and sound of the pipes. But not sure what to think of this response. Maybe I should get a straight pipe with a fill.. ugh. Not sure what to do. Mainly want low cost investment. I don't have a welder, so I think I'd like to keep it plug and play.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #69 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

So I ordered a db killer from Yoshi. Didn't end up taking her in to the tuning appointment cuz I wanted to get a db in and out tune..and the guy was backed up and suggested waiting.

Gonna hopefully get it done this weekend.

So far with a 15 min idle and an obnoxiously loud exhaust, she runs better than before even though it's all burps and burbles from the exhaust. It's not running clean, but it is way less pulsey especially down low. Gonna hold judgement until I get the tune but so far it's an improvement

post #70 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

So as the ECU (I think) gets settled with the straight pipe and whatever map the PCV has stock, the bike has been running much better this week without even having it tuned yet. I end up in 3rd in the city all the time where before anything under 4k rpm was awful. Bike cruises in 2nd/3rd at 3k no problem. Power feels broader and more mellowed out but I'm not even full wristing it cuz it's not tuned yet.

I think this may be transformative. But appointment isn't until next week to tune. Wondering if I should try loading up that akra map once I get the db killer tomorrow. See how it feels.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode