Dyno Day!! - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Silver Member
KTM Forums Team Racer

Garage
Dyno Day!!

690 is on the dyno at BSD right now for a remap. Sounds awesome!! I’ll post the graphs up if I can, I’m hoping it’ll have the a/f ratio on there too. ✊
dsmer06, Keith Jamieson and Taipan like this.

Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Silver Member
KTM Forums Team Racer

Garage
Here’s the graph, not amazing but not too bad. They had to add lots of fuel low down and take lots away up top as it was too rich. Pulls better from low down now but not much difference top end. They had a 2016 690r in a while ago with the same exhaust/filter and it made the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12379C4F-1636-4798-87F5-70F51870B6D8_1555616157194.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	458.4 KB
ID:	87404  
bigtree, dsmer06, cors187 and 1 others like this.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

Nice graph. thats a good running Duke.

2014 duke 690 - sold
2015 superduke 1290R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Silver Member
KTM Forums Team Racer

Garage
Post mapping riding thoughts

So I’ve had the remap done and had a chance to put some miles on the 690 both on familiar and unfamiliar roads. The result is really good, much more grunt at the bottom and a little up top too. They had a hard time getting the map right and it took a while as they weren’t 100% happy so it was agreed that I’d take the bike and ride it for a week to see how it was and report back to them. In the meantime Andy was going to pick through the map to see if he thought he could make any improvements and if so he’d get me back in and load up the modified map to try. If I had to make any criticism it would be that it has a very slight surge at part throttle at around 3-3.5k but it’s barely noticeable and probably feels worse due to the rest of the rev range being so much smoother. I was hoping for a before and after comparison graph but they took the Akra ktm map straight out and loaded a standard map in which was tweeked to suit my specific engine and state of tune so they didn’t run it up with the Akra map. More power/torque and much smoother, also peace of mind knowing it’s not running too lean or rich anywhere so well worth the cash. Whether it’s better or worse than a pc5 or a hilltop tune I don’t know but the end results from either are probably pretty close. I’ll be phoning Andy on Friday to let him know what I think and maybe I’ll nip it back to them if he thinks he can improve the map anywhere.
dsmer06 and Keith Jamieson like this.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:30 AM
Full Throttle

Whats your bike though, i cant remember , its an 2011 650cc or is it the R 690cc?

2008 1190 RC8
2007 690 SM

racers toolbox thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Silver Member
KTM Forums Team Racer

Garage
It’s a 2013 690, not the R. Not sure if that makes any difference in engine spec anyway does it? I thought it was the chassis parts that were better?

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:08 PM

Garage
Could they smooth out the 5000 rpm dip? Do you have an air/fuel ratio reading?

Whale oil beef hooked

2016 KTM Duke 690, 1967 Yamaha TD1C race bike
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Silver Member
KTM Forums Team Racer

Garage
That’s something I’m going to discuss with them on Friday. Hopefully yes! No a/f readout but he showed me on the screen. I’m definitely gonna take it back in cos I think it’s far from perfect.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Silver Member
KTM Forums Team Racer

Garage
Dyno Update

Ok dyno nerds strap yourselves in, this may be a long one! So I’ve just got off the phone to Andy at Bsd and he’s optimistic he can make a big improvement which is great news as I was expecting a “sorry that’s the best we can do”. What he explained was that ktm are a pain with their mapping in the 690 in that you could get 5 bikes of the same year and they’ll all have different mapping as they tweak the maps as they go. Mine had a map they hadn’t seen before,ktm also only use a 2d map whereas the bike has the capability to have a 3D one. The problem he was having was that for some reason the map that was in mine wasn’t taking the adjustments he was making low down in the revs and was trying to revert back to using the o2 sensor but couldn’t as it’s been switched off. This meant it kept switching between trying to use the o2 sensor and not, which was causing the snatching at part throttle. He’s working on a 3D map for mine now which should hopefully make it run a lot sweeter. As for the dip at 5k he said that a lot of them are like that because the engine is really efficient at low revs and as the revs rise it comes onto the cam, the dip is the transition between the two phases. It looks a lot worse than it is and can’t be felt on the road (not by a numpty like me anyway) Now I’ve just got to wait till he’s finished the map and nip back to have it loaded in.
weeksy, Keith Jamieson and Taipan like this.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Silver Member
KTM Forums Team Racer

Garage
Back to Bsd at the weekend to load the final map. A few tweeks then another dyno run. Andy is really confident he’s found some good improvements.
weeksy, IDTrav and Keith Jamieson like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode