Help Traction control work around USA - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Help Traction control work around USA

I'm still trying to figure out if my 2017 duke 690 has traction control. I can navigate to a 'traction control' label in the dash, but nothing further. Holding the button down does not do anything like it does on the 'abs' label, where you can get a new menu to turn the abs off.

And reading some of the descriptions of the track pack. It seems like it adds traction control. Or maybe it just adds the ability to modify the existing traction control setting so you can turn it off?

I've tried starting from a stop in gravel and can throw a nice roost, but maybe gravel is just beyond the traction control's ability and you get a roost with traction control.

Will be watching for developments as those of us with 2016+ want to wheelie.

https://www.ktm-parts.com/76000970000.html

PRODUCT DETAILS
KTM Track Pack 690 Duke 16-17

Please visit our AOMC Service Department to unlock these extra features in your 690 Duke!
Sport mode
Rain mode
Traction control (TC) - Helps prevent rear wheel spin under heavy acceleration and the front wheel from lifting
Motor Slip Regulation (MSR) - Targeted intervention by the engine management system prevents rear wheel over-braking due to engine braking
Supermoto ABS
Single channel ABS mode - The rear wheel may lock; ABS controls the front wheel only
Deactivation of Motor Slip Regulation (MSR)
The following additional part is required to have this function permanently available for competition use: 60312953000 dongle
Please note: This is not a shippable product. You must schedule an appointment with our service department to hook up your 690 Duke 16-17 to our computers to unlock these features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Rider View Post
I'm still trying to figure out if my 2017 duke 690 has traction control. I can navigate to a 'traction control' label in the dash, but nothing further. Holding the button down does not do anything like it does on the 'abs' label, where you can get a new menu to turn the abs off.
I have a 2017 690 and it shows the same as yours - TC but no more sub menus. And YES is does have TC, but you are unable to switch it off, just like the ABS. It uses the ABS "disks" on the wheels for TC ( my assumption ) and when the rear wheel goes faster than the front it reduces power. I have had it kick in on a roundabout when giving it a handful ! It wasn't revving just seemed like "water on the HT lead" reducing the spark feeling. But the back end of the bike was showing what was happening.

You can test the TC on wet grass and give it a handful from idling along in first. Most big singles would rooster tail the grass up and you can see a large trench But this bike "just" gives a bit of rolled over grass.

They say the TC lights up on the dash, but at these moments I am busy looking where I want to go !

Another side affect of this, you cant wheelie it !! But I should know better at my age.

Keith

Previous bikes: GoPed, FS1SE, CB125T, RD350F, Z400F(4), CB250T, RGV250, KLR650, FZ750, TDR250, RD350F2, DR650, FZS600-S, FX650, XL1200N, GSR600, Tiger1050
Now: KTM Duke 690 (5)/2017
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:34 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Yeah boys I'd be lying if i didn't say this was one of the biggest let downs in a long time for me. All winter i was stoked to unlock the extra options and now i don't know what to think. Plan was to keep this bike for a looooooooooong time but this is really disheartening.

KTM Canada has been zero help and saying "the 690 is not a race bike blah blah trackpack only available in Europe blah blah" WELL WHY DID YOU RELEASE IT IN CANADA AND POST IT IN THE POWER PARTS CATALOG ONLY TO PULL IT???" Ready to Race... Ok thanks bye.

@hxman has a '17 and track pack so waiting for a PM back so I can contact his dealer that installed it.

Can we not pull a fuse??? Rest of the KTM gurus any ideas for us?

Has anyone tried loading up in 1st gear and dropping the clutch? What happens... i dare to be the guinea pig but if TC does it's job then you should be able launch these bikes likes a SOB without going over backwards.

2016 Duke 690 / 2014 Audi S4 / 2005 CRF 250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 02:07 AM
Full Throttle

What about a manual work around in fitting or splicing the rear feed into the front feed with some gizmo splicer box.

Fitting a manual switch to the box and to get proper function is flick of the switch.

2008 1190 RC8
2007 690 SM

racers toolbox thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 02:11 AM
Full Throttle

@reidmct

Reid seems to be switched on with hidden bike stuff.
Who else would know if the box is being made for other bikes?

2008 1190 RC8
2007 690 SM

racers toolbox thread

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Alright so i just let loose on KTM North American and basically got pushed aside saying it was the US government that banned the track pack 1 year and 1 month ago. Nothing they can do we are SOL.

What can we do here boys??? There has to be someone out there able to build an accessport to by-bass the factory TC. A piggyback system? Pulling fuses??? @reidmct anything?

The PCV piggybacks the factory system so is there not something we can do?

I'm absolutely astonished something like this would impact us across the border too, we are not USA so why are we being blanketed with whatever ridiculous rationale to implement such a change.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:10 PM
Full Throttle

@kevxtx might know if its possible

2008 1190 RC8
2007 690 SM

racers toolbox thread

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

seems timed to about when Harley got smacked.

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/harl...act-settlement

but if they are worried about that, why keep selling the full akrapovic exhaust and maps to fit? Seems the like the same issue. "race only"

My guess is they are planing ahead and want to be able to say 'yea we pulled the race stuff' and get the epa off their backs.
Keith Jamieson likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Interesting Dragon, thanks for the link. Coincidence? Hmm.

So it gets more juicy as i just took my lunch break to go over and talk to the service manager at my KTM dealer. It's not just the 690 according to him. Just had a customer buy a brand new 1290 adventure (?) can't remember anyways he said customer bought the quick shifter spent $1000 on parts and whatever was needed only to find out they can't get the electronics package now.

I'm emailing KTM north america and see where that gets me as we are in Canada and laws are different here.

Does anyone know if you unplug the wheel speed sensors if it throws the bike into limp mode or if it just throws a code on your dash? *Hold my beer watch this* stay tuned...

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 05:16 PM

I bought my 690 at the end of August last year (last days of the .99% financing!) and got the track pack add-on. My understanding was that they needed a code from KTM to make it work. Under the menu, the different options (Race, Street, and Rain) pop up in color and can be toggled.

Sounds like I might have just snuck in before they closed the process down...

Dave

2018 KTM 690 Duke
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode