"New Old Stock": too risky? - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

"New Old Stock": too risky?

Folks: I am deciding between the Duke 690 and Duke 790. There are several "new old stock" model year '17 and '18 690s within my geographic reach, and the price on these is quite enticing, as the dealers (somewhat desperately) try to part ways with the quickly aging fleet. But my worry is, and this is my question to you: how bad is it for a bike/motor/moving parts/fluids to sit around a dealership for year or two, not being driven/used? My sense is that these machines "like" being used, and to sit idle for long stretches can't be good for reliability.

I would appreciate your insights on this question. By buying a NOS 690, are we saving money merely to spend it later on repairs and reliability issues? What are your thoughts on buying NOS bikes?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:57 PM

Garage
I found that the 790 is so much different to the 690. Have you sat on them ? Taken them for a test ride ?

I would go for last years model and save the money. Do the 600 miles and then they will change the fluids, etc. Job done.

And I have never had a turbo bike. I dont know what NOS is like either.

Previous bikes: GoPed, FS1SE, CB125T, RD350F, Z400F(4), CB250T, RGV250, KLR650, FZ750, TDR250, RD350F2, DR650, FZS600-S, FX650, XL1200N, GSR600, Tiger1050
Now: KTM Duke 690 (5)/2017
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dominator end can,Kevs O2 and KTM higher windscreen.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Jamieson View Post
I found that the 790 is so much different to the 690. Have you sat on them ? Taken them for a test ride ?

I would go for last years model and save the money. Do the 600 miles and then they will change the fluids, etc. Job done.

And I have never had a turbo bike. I dont know what NOS is like either.
Lol

I wouldn't have any problem with New Old Stock - enjoy the saving, make sure it gets the updates and change the brake fluid 2 years earlier

Whale oil beef hooked

2016 KTM Duke 690, 1967 Yamaha TD1C race bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I wouldn't worry at all if the bike hasn't been ran-up yet with ZERO mileage on it. They come with assembly lube and other measures to get across the pond and sit for a few years if need be.

If the bike was a demo bike and just a shop ho' then I would be weary about startup & cooling measures, maintenance, rev-limiter action, etc.

2016 Duke 690: Akra + Decat / PCV / 15-42 / DNA S2 / Ghause Design / CF fenders / Powerparts

2018 EXC 350: Stock for now
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 12:32 AM
Forum Junkie

I'd happily buy them that old with the right pricing..

Tough to say which of the 2 i'd go for too..
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:36 AM
Mega Poster

I would buy a NOS bike in a second. Particularly if the warranty is still 2 yrs. The oil and coolant don't go bad and the brake fluid won't suffer much living indoors. Being me, I'd probably flush new brake fluid in but it would be overkill.

'61 BSA Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Daytona 675R (track bike), '13 Duke 690, '17 1290 GT, '18 Street Triple RS
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:30 AM

I definitely wouldn't worry about a year or two. I was in a similar situation with a Suzuki DRZ400SM. I HAD to have the older blue-and-white scheme and drove down to Ohio to get a leftover 2014. It was about a year-and-a-half old at that point, but the price certainly made it worthwhile. And no issues with it whatsoever.

It has since been replaced by the Duke, and no issues with that, either. In fact, you could say I'm downright happy about it.

-Robert

The correct number of motorcycles to own at any given time is N+1, N being the number you currently have.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
I would buy a NOS bike in a second. Particularly if the warranty is still 2 yrs. The oil and coolant don't go bad and the brake fluid won't suffer much living indoors. Being me, I'd probably flush new brake fluid in but it would be overkill.
I bought my 2018 690 at the end of August last year. At 2600 miles I changed the clutch master to the Oberon based on the failures discussed here. I was surprised by how dirty the clutch fluid was. Since we'd already opened a bottle of DOT 4, we also changed the brake fluid, and it was nasty dirty as well. So your point about changing the brake fluid is a good one.

FWIW, I've had zero issues with mine in cranking the miles on. I decided to go with non-synthetic 10-50 at the 600 mile change, then went to the full synthetic 10-60 at 1000 miles. It has used absolutely no oil since then, despite my best efforts to flog it!

I'd also agree that the 790 will be quite different ergonomically- lower bars and more rearward pegs. The 690 is simply perfect for me in terms of fit. I'd add that the 690 makes the same torque as the 790 and is lighter, so it will be more fun in the twisties!!!!

Dave

2018 KTM 690 Duke
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:24 AM
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdave39 View Post

I'd also agree that the 790 will be quite different ergonomically- lower bars and more rearward pegs. The 690 is simply perfect for me in terms of fit. I'd add that the 690 makes the same torque as the 790 and is lighter, so it will be more fun in the twisties!!!!

Dave
Errrrrrm going to have to say NO on that...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:37 AM
Mega Poster

Years ago, the industry took a downward turn and distributors were stuck with thousands of bikes the dealers couldn't sell. It took a couple of years to sell off the leftovers at discounted prices and I never heard a peep about any of them having issues from being stored.

A year-old bike on the showroom floor should be as good as a new model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in