2014 Duke 690 Rookie, mod suggestions. - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

2014 Duke 690 Rookie, mod suggestions.

Hey, new to club Duke, just picked up a brand new 2014 and trying to get a general consensus of where I need to go with the intake/exhaust/fueling mods to get the bike running at its peak. Went to my local shop and they are at $3000 (canadian) for the full AKRA kit installed and this seems like a bit of a rip off. Anyone have some good options if a guy was to get all the parts on ebay ect...?

Intake- Is just a new filter good enough?
Exhaust- Slip on or the whole kit? (not looking for louder)
Tuning- Seems like I need tuning and Kev's kit?
Cam- worth it?

Thanks for any suggestions, loving the bike so far just need to open up that motor a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 03:55 PM
Silver Member

There is not much more you can get out of this engine.

You can get the tuning kit with the cam, intake, and fuel map if you want to boost the top end power of the bike and get 1k more RPMS.

For exhaust you need a full system or none at all. Leaving the cat there and putting a slip on is a waste of money. You can eliminate the cat with the Fresco midpipe if you want the cheaper route.

A piggyback fuel system along with the fuel map flash from KTM will definitely smooth the bike out in the lower revs.
weeksy likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

Just curious about your Duke. Is it the R model? Because, as far as I can see, the most useful mod that one can make to the basic Duke is to improve the suspension. Of course, I am a very slow rider, and I did re-gear to 15/42, but, the power seems adequate for everything but high speed stuff, and a few HP gained at big expense won't make almost any difference there. Also, although the bike protests when run at less than 3000 RPM or so, I never notice this, as it is so easy to avoid running the engine that slowly. In fact, I worry instead that screen dumps from my GoPro always seem to show my tach needle way up the RPM scale, and with 15/42 gearing 70 mph indicated is 5000 RPM. I don't ride freeways unless I have to and, I just take it on faith that a giant 690cc single can buzz along at 5000 RPM without fragging.

So, if you don't want more noise, and you are fixing to spend some more money, I would suggest reading up on suspension tweaks since I assume since you want more HP, you are already a fast rider, and, in that case, you should find the nonadjustable suspension kind of soft when you start to really push.
weeksy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 06:20 PM

Unless you just enjoy modding or want the bike to look different, I'd just ride it and save the money. You can change the profile of the rev range but not a whole lot of actual HP with most mods available.

If anything, get the fan temp switch and Kev's O2 mod.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 06:43 PM

I would get rid of the exhaust and cat for weight savings and there are lots of options besides akrapovich that cost less. Intake is fine although I do have a k&n filter. Kevs 02 mod is a must and if you have any fueling issues go with the akra map if you can get it. Cam is nice down the road if you get board with it. Suspension upgrades help the non r if you frequent the canyons.

Duke 690 2013 10000 miles
LV exhaust & cat
crash bars
KTM Rally cam
Akra map
Kevs o2 & fuel mods
stage 1 dna (stage 2 in the box)
race thermostat
hyperpro rear shock
coming next:andreani fork cartridges
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, I don't really take issue with the low rpm smoothness as I find it can be ironed out by ridding style and a little extra attention on the throttle. Coming from daily driving a Subaru STI, where the stock tune is dangerously lean/power robbing and a quick tune adds reliability and about 20hp, I wanted to make sure I wasn't in the same boat with this KTM.

My model is not the R, and this is my first bike, so I have a long ways to go before the stock suspension is holding me back. Sounds like the power mods on the duke are probably not going to get me a significant boost, so I think I will save the money for the Duke R rear sets, and some touring bags/suspension work down the line.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 11:29 AM
Silver Member

I just ride my 2014 no mods needed.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Tmd

Can for better sound (without baffle) heated grips and decent handguards (ktm)

690 Duke
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:34 AM

Cool Mr Dan Chef

Hi All,

i have just put Pirelli diablo rosso 3's front and rear on teh R version 690 duke. anyone else run these and what is the opinion?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:40 PM
Silver Member
KTM Forums Team Racer

Garage
Ready to race as they say, already. A couple of minimal horsepower gains for a lot of dolleros. Cheaper decat and pipe options than the akra are out there and are just as good. The suspension should be ok for the road as well if you are in the 80kg / 180lb range also.

IF YOU FLY JETS LONG ENOUGH , THIS KIND OF THING HAPPENS

Current bikes:
690 Duke race bike
990 Duke R race bike

Previous bikes:
748 Ducati race bike
Triumph Bonneville cafe custom
1098S Ducati
749 Ducati
748 Ducati
Triumph Daytona 955
Triumph Daytona 600 race bike
Kawasaki ZX7/ZXR750
A couple of dirties too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode