stupidity challenge - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Lightbulb stupidity challenge

i had a thought today of some of the dumb bonehead mistakes i made while learning how to work on motorcycles and i thought it might be fun to share some of our less than proud mechanical accomplishments. even though im sure that i would probably win any contest that required wholesale stupidity i thought it fun to offer a challenge to some of our forum mates to laugh at ourselves and maybe learn a little as well. any takers?? lets hear it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 08:35 PM
DW
Dirt Wizard

Garage
I have a couple and I'm not afraid to admit it.
I was rebuilding an xr400 for a mate and one of the parts turned up wrong. He was upset that he couldn't ride it on that weekend. I felt sorry for him and said he could take my old xr500. (Wasn't going to lend him the good bike)
The following weekend his bike was ready, he wanted me to go out for a ride, so I said I will bring it around and I will just ride the old 5 for the day.
Turned up to his place and my xr500 was filthy, I took the air cleaner off to clean it and he said to be careful as the young one liked to put small objects in exposed holes, so I shoved a bit of rag in while I was cleaning it.
Put it all back together and went out to the riding place. Kick started the old 5, she fired first hit but was running like a dog. Hmmm strange the 5 always runs good. So replaced the spark plug, still running like a dog. I started to get heated then as I was thinking my mate has f*cked my bike. Removed the airfilter, drain the carb, ect and Still running like a dog. While I was doing all this he was off riding. He came back from doing a loop and I was obviously extra heated and started into him about my bike as he was the last that rode it.
I then started pulling the bike apart as I was going to strip the carby and check it out. Removed the carby and guess what was stuck behind the reed valve.... the stinking rag. I was incredibly apologetic to my mate, bought him lunch and a beer. I suppose I have to be thankful the 82 xr500 had a reed valve otherwise the rag would of been wrapped around a valve.

Sad thing with this story is I wasn't learning to fix bikes Auggie. I was a fully qualified mechanic by that stage!!!
Axzon likes this.

Dw "Day walker"
The Daywalker is a Ginger that does not burn in direct sunlight. Hated by true Gingers, the Daywalker can sustain extended periods in sunlight and even has traces of a soul. Because they are still part Ginger, freckles may or may not be present. daywalker definition by Urban Dictionary.Nov 27, 2014
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 05:59 AM
DW
Dirt Wizard

Garage
Just moved your thread to general talk Auggie. Hope you don't mind. Starting line is more for new members with introductory posts.

Dw "Day walker"
The Daywalker is a Ginger that does not burn in direct sunlight. Hated by true Gingers, the Daywalker can sustain extended periods in sunlight and even has traces of a soul. Because they are still part Ginger, freckles may or may not be present. daywalker definition by Urban Dictionary.Nov 27, 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
stupidity challenge contender

i was pressed for time during last post and didnt have time to back my claim of being stupidity king of all,or most. and yes, i still have plenty of stupid attacks now and always. i had a yamaha ttr125 that i purchased a few years ago for the grandkids to ride around the yard when they visited and as the kids outgrew it,bike received less use and sat in shed for longer intervals,but i would ride it around yard like a maniac,much to my wifes frustration. the bike recently developed a performance defect that acted exactly like a partially plugged main jet. and my knowledge of the history of this bike supported this theory. bike starts and runs fine and revs nice until you ride it hard as if it wont transfer from pilot to main jet and it would blubber and sputter until you slowed motor speed. a huge particle in carburetor bowl was suspected and checked and rechecked. my experience with this symptom has been that the particle will get sucked onto main jet and removing suction by lowering engine speed allows particle to swim around fuel bowl until fuel flow allows it to get sucked back onto main jet. i have found many bikes with this symptom and was sure this was my trouble. the main jet is lowest point in carburetor and particles are heavy and sink to low point and that has to be the trouble. i refused to believe anything else was causing my trouble and my quick fix repair was frustrating me,until i took carburetor off for inspection and removed fuel line and found barely trickle of fuel from tank and carburetor bowl was full. turning fuel valve onto reserve position found a nice stream of gas. dumb *** was low on fuel. took me almost an hour to figure out what should have been first thing to check. she ran fine after adding fuel.
Frankenschwinn likes this.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 10:22 AM
Full Throttle

ive locked the keys in the work van a few times

2008 1190 RC8
2007 690 SM

racers toolbox thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I was reminded recently of an incident that i though was worthy of a stupidity challenge mention. Recent forum discussions about older bikes and such reminded me of a front drum brake mishap I had many years ago on my ancient Yamaha air cooled drum brake monster. I had a heavy crash in a long sand whoop de doo section that wadded up my front number plate. I snatched and ripped number plate off and restarted my bike and took off like a madman. Until I hit the whoops again and did an endo at warp speed. Couldnít figure out why the front wheel locked up and she spit me over the bars... hmmm.. front drum brake cable got fouled on forks top during compression and pulled brake cable on extension and locked brake. In my haste I didnít realize importance of brake cable guide on missing number plate until that exact moment
DW likes this.

A REAL MANS CREED
If it rolls, burns rubber, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gun powder, makes lots of noise, produces recoil or a
rooster tail----it's cool.
But if it uses a ball, a bat, racquet or club, or is played on a court or green by yuppies or liberals----it's a piece of
crap!
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 10:14 PM
DW
Dirt Wizard

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggie View Post
I was reminded recently of an incident that i though was worthy of a stupidity challenge mention. Recent forum discussions about older bikes and such reminded me of a front drum brake mishap I had many years ago on my ancient Yamaha air cooled drum brake monster. I had a heavy crash in a long sand whoop de doo section that wadded up my front number plate. I snatched and ripped number plate off and restarted my bike and took off like a madman. Until I hit the whoops again and did an endo at warp speed. Couldnít figure out why the front wheel locked up and she spit me over the bars... hmmm.. front drum brake cable got fouled on forks top during compression and pulled brake cable on extension and locked brake. In my haste I didnít realize importance of brake cable guide on missing number plate until that exact moment
Haven't had that happen exactly, but definitely had a few occasions of incorrectly re-route of throttle cables up past the steering head, turn one way it's fine, turn the other and the bike revs up and spits out from underneath you

Dw "Day walker"
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

amateurs ...

I been married twice
DW, graves, Frankenschwinn and 1 others like this.

SDR & loving it - NOW any day above ground's a good day!!

Also - DIRTIEST SDR in QLD- possibly .AU
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I saw a picture from my racing glory days recently and was reminded of one of my past bonehead maneuvers worthy of a stupidity challenge. The photo shows me holding checkered flag after a rare race win. But the victory lap afterwards was the photo op when I rode off and did a high speed wheelie to show off afterwards I did not see the rider on the infield that crashed during race and took a while to restart his bike and was in my path and I was too high and too fast to avoid hitting him and took us both down. So much for showing off!! And what a dirty look that guy gave me... grumpy bastard he was!!!
DW likes this.

A REAL MANS CREED
If it rolls, burns rubber, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gun powder, makes lots of noise, produces recoil or a
But if it uses a ball, a bat, racquet or club, or is played on a court or green by yuppies or liberals----it's a piece of
crap!
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
my recent forum reply to a forum post reminded me of a situation with a fellow at my shop who is well known for being a cheapskate. He rebuilt his Honda 4stroke motocrosser and was using those bargain knock off engine parts purchased online from no name cheap sources. He was enjoying the money saved building his stroked big bore crf250 until he broke the cylinder and piston warming up the engine in first gear. And less enjoyable when he called for warranty replacement and got no answer on phone with supplier. Definitely worthy of honorable mention for stupidity challenge

A REAL MANS CREED
crap!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode