KTM Forums banner

2020 KTM Duke 890

9K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  cors187 
#1 ·
As anyone heard of the new 890 coming out, I saw a photo looks like the 790 with some changes . The part that I really did not like was where its going to be made India , that is so disapointing to hear. With all the reliability issue these have already now outsourced them to a 2 world country to save on cost come on man really .

I had planed on buying a new 790 duke next summer after selling my 690 duke. Now Im going to take that off the table and try and find a 2010 + 990 SMR if I can find one I absolutely love my 06 950sm , only thing I did not like was carb starve when wheeling and pilot jet plug when not in use for a month so FI 990 would I think make me a happy camper again this 690 is not doing it for me .

The future origins of the new dukes are scary in my opinion . So if anyone out there plans selling a 990 SMR in the future even a dealer hit me up.

#3 ·
I wouldnt say let me down, I would say I should researched it a little more. The 690 is a really great bike once you take care of a few things that I learned on this forum , pro shift kit , 190 thermostat, 42t rear , that has made it better for me . I'm waiting on some clutch parts so I can get it back on the road. These 690s from my researching on the web are flawed in the clutch department across the board with slipping issues . its a conspiracy that no one makes an aftermarket clutches for them weird .

The power and handling is is top notch very fun and way more power then I ever thought it would have reminds me of my old CR500 . My real and only complaint it the vibration the bike makes my hands numb after 30 min or so like my old 500s its really hard to see whats in my mirrors . I have to pull the clutch to check on johnny law when moving at a higher speeds . I have always been a fan of KTM and have been riding them since the 80s. This time I need more of a commuter instead of a weekend ripper. I have been checking out the FZ09 MT09 waiting to get a chance to ride one.

Still not a fan of KTM opening a plant in India , maybe they should open one in north america so we can get some of the R bikes and cool **** that Europe gets. are they paying more for their bike over there then we do ? seems like we pay a premium for a standard KTM vs and R

#4 ·
I wouldnt say let me down, I would say I should researched it a little more. The 690 is a really great bike once you take care of a few things that I learned on this forum , pro shift kit , 190 thermostat, 42t rear , that has made it better for me .
I never did any of them on either of my 690s, i did 10+ trackdays, toured Europe and many miles on them.... I think you're worrying too much.

If you want every single detail perfect on a bike, there's no 'right' bike out there in the world. They all have their quirks and issues.

#6 ·
NO trouble here...

:smile2: No trouble here with my clutch or anything else, average about 44 mpg and that's no matter how you ride her:clap:, the orange rims show more slop from chain and farm roads but that's normal on any bike,:wink2: 2600 miles on and still having a blast...:smile2:

#7 ·
I have a 2014 690 Duke I inherited from my Father when he passed in 2017. He did a gob of work on it, and I took it furthermore myself. It's not in a place I like to call "perfect" for what it is. But it's FAR from stock, and not something the average Joe would attempt or consider tackling. List of my upgrades below
- rally cam
- 3D printed custom intake plenum w/K&N snorkel filter
- PCV w/AutoTune module - custom mapped
- Factory Pro Evo shift star
- 15/42 gearing
- PowerParts wave rotors w/ EBC HH sintered pads
- Nitron Racing R2 rear shock
- Andreani Ind. fork cartridge kit
- soon to be installed OEM clutch (current original has over 30000km on it, and is slipping bad now after some hard track days)

The vibration through the bars is terrible, indeed...but can be remedied with some anti-vibe bar inserts (available through KTMTwins.com). My bike runs stronger than any other I've thrown a leg over. Have tried 3 other maps from other folks running similar setups...did not compare.

Reactions: weeksy
#8 ·
I don't really care where a bike is made, as long as it's quality. My understanding was that the 790 was already made in India and that the engines will be made in China starting in 2020. I don't really care, as they are a fantastic bike to ride.

#9 ·
As anyone heard of the new 890
Its just more stupidity from new age ktm.
kill the sd990
sd990 still out specs many bikes including the 790 , let the 790 kill off the only loyal bike owners on big single thumper planet , the 690.
now they start to get near 1lt bikes again, at the expense of what .

someone is a farkn idiot in that company.
This can be handled better. it only needs 2 words. turbo thumpers.

I also have a distaste to moving jobs away, no wonder superbikes are scarce in europe, less and less people have any money due to no jobs,
fark china, create local economies.

#12 ·
To much to answer back to , but I think im selling trading in . Any takers 5k with 8k
All most showroom with some extras

And I agree about the 990 a great platform low reving realibility.
Plus this thread was about them doing away with the 790 that was still made in austria and making a 890 and a 500 single in india no thank you

Tell me one thing India does really great as far as machines of any sort.
Even there tractors are junk

Now the 890 and 500 are rumors at this point I guess will see . And I'm glad you are still loving the 690s I tried to love it too
But I guess just not the right fit for me at this time..

#15 ·
sd if i was 85 kilo im sure i would like the 690 16\40 sprockets , but im 115kg and the sprockets needed to scientifically get me from a to b in the fastest time only let me have a bike that 120km highway cruiser..
But yeah , with proper sprockets the 690 keeps up with big bikes until 80km . great for keeping your license if your that way inclined ......
Ive still got my 690. its s frisky revver.

#16 ·
Its almost proven that the 690 was never crowned king of anything. well king of thumpers i guess.

The 500 exc has been crowned king and is a contender.
1290 , its been crowned ans still a naked contender, cant argue with the guys that thought up the 1290 at ktm .
300 exc 2 stroke , crowned king and still contender.

This is my point, i love the 790 , in 10 years ill get one as cheap as fark , just like i did the rc8, and the 690 has gone up in base price here so its already making money while it sits.

I got something against someone at that company , thats for sure , the rest of the company , i love you.

#18 ·
I'm small to average rider , well I test drove a 2017 FZ-09 today and was sold kinda like the first time I test road the 950 SM I was smiling ear to ear.

For my area in So Cal with freeway and highway some mountain roads I really like the stability at high speed with no faring 110 mph wind blast not bad.

Ill be probably be buying it or a new 18 or 19 this week once I figure out witch make the most sense . They had a super duke 990 I wanted to test it just to make sure on my decision and it would not turn over enough to start with a low battery no fault of the bike but I took that as a sign time for a change.

#22 ·
I'm with weeksy on the 690 clutch mods. Mine is bog stock, 12000km, has been raced for the last 3 years and not one single issue to mention.
As for comparing the FZ9 to a 690 they are both very different animals. Riding a Jap bike to me is as stimulating as having a wank with a boxing glove on. I like the character and rawness of the unwieldy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.