G'day, purple 525 build - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

G'day, purple 525 build

Alice here, just popping in to say Hiya. Recently purchased a 525 EXC that had a shattered Cam chain, cam stuffed, seized bits and pieces and a few other issues so as a full rebuild was required I am (shock horror) customising it to Metallic Purple, black and chrome. Pics definitely to come!

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk
dukebadboy and Madduke like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceNicho View Post
Alice here, just popping in to say Hiya. Recently purchased a 525 EXC that had a shattered Cam chain, cam stuffed, seized bits and pieces and a few other issues so as a full rebuild was required I am (shock horror) customising it to Metallic Purple, black and chrome. Pics definitely to come!

Looking forward mate!

SuperDuke 1290R
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

A few progress pics, the frame is metallic purple, the plastics and fork legs are being done the same colour. Swinging arm is satin black, engine (also having a full rebuild) is a metallic slate grey. The wheels will remain chrome (or possibly be painted in metallic silver to save me cleaning time). And as we go along parts are being painted in metallic silver to break up the purple. A long range fuel tank in black will also be used.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:33 PM
Mega Poster

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to AusPete
Quote:

@AliceNicho I think the Purple People Eater will be outstanding when done. Just a small change from KTM Orange lol!! @DW what do you think?
Lots of very knowledgeable folk around on this forum if you get stuck. Ask plenty of questions and take plenty of pics.
Welcome to the forum by the way.
AliceNicho likes this.

2016 Superduke GT - lucky #13
10 MV Agusta 1078 Brutale
13 BMW K1300S
10 Suzuki GSXR-750
11 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
07 Triumph Speed Triple
98 BMW R1100S
Yamaha FZR 600
Honda CB1100R
Kawasaki Z1R Mk2
Moto Guzzi T850
Ducati 900SS
77 Kawasaki Z650
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:50 PM
DW
Dirt Wizard

Garage
G'day Alice. Welcome to the forum

I dunno Auspete, it's definitely different.
I've seen a few of the sumo guys getting around on black and blue 525's, but never purple.....this is definitely a first to my eye anyway.

The paint looks fantastic Alice. Powder coated or 2-pack?
Have to see how it all turns out. Gonna keep an eye on this thread, keep posting up.

I have a soft spot for the 525's. Had 3 of them.

Where about's are you in Oz?

Dw "Day walker"
The Daywalker is a Ginger that does not burn in direct sunlight. Hated by true Gingers, the Daywalker can sustain extended periods in sunlight and even has traces of a soul. Because they are still part Ginger, freckles may or may not be present. daywalker definition by Urban Dictionary.Nov 27, 2014
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
G'day Alice. Welcome to the forum

I dunno Auspete, it's definitely different.

I've seen a few of the sumo guys getting around on black and blue 525's, but never purple.....this is definitely a first to my eye anyway.

The paint looks fantastic Alice. Powder coated or 2-pack?

Have to see how it all turns out. Gonna keep an eye on this thread, keep posting up.

I have a soft spot for the 525's. Had 3 of them.

Where about's are you in Oz?
Hey DW,

We are in Central QLD, just outside of Rockhampton. The paint is in 2-pack, sand blasted the frame first then a coat of etching primer, metallic silver, the custom purple (our lovely paint shop guys mixed it up to match a sample of one I loved without a recipe so needless to say I have to keep a bit in case I ever need more ) then the clear coat.

My partner is doing all the painting and I pay my spawn to do the sand blasting and wet 'N' dry. My partner is also doing a 450 EXC for himself but his is in KTM Orange, with the metallic slate grey engine, satin black swinging arm and I believe he is going for white plastics and long range tank.

The paint has stuck well and not fractured or come away from the plastics we have done so far and we have given them a good bend. They were sand blasted, then dry sanded with 320 grit, primer, metallic silver, the purple and then clear coat.

DW and AusPete like this.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:13 PM
DW
Dirt Wizard

Garage
Ah wow. Possibly the first rfs owner since I have joined that's not far away at all.
I'm in Bundaberg.
Have to hit the trails one day with you and your partner. (If you want to get that shiny purple machine scratched and dirty)
I don't have a ktm atm though, got it's big blue swedish cousin.
AliceNicho likes this.

Dw "Day walker"
The Daywalker is a Ginger that does not burn in direct sunlight. Hated by true Gingers, the Daywalker can sustain extended periods in sunlight and even has traces of a soul. Because they are still part Ginger, freckles may or may not be present. daywalker definition by Urban Dictionary.Nov 27, 2014
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusPete View Post
@AliceNicho I think the Purple People Eater will be outstanding when done. Just a small change from KTM Orange lol!! @DW what do you think?
Lots of very knowledgeable folk around on this forum if you get stuck. Ask plenty of questions and take plenty of pics.
Welcome to the forum by the way.
Mine in purple and the partners in KTM Orange he's got a 450.

DW likes this.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
Ah wow. Possibly the first rfs owner since I have joined that's not far away at all.

I'm in Bundaberg.

Have to hit the trails one day with you and your partner. (If you want to get that shiny purple machine scratched and dirty)

I don't have a ktm atm though, got it's big blue swedish cousin.
Is that a Husqvarna?

Well she will definitely be hitting the trails and the other half can always repair the pain after

post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:31 AM
Mega Poster

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to AusPete
Quote:
Mine in purple and the partners in KTM Orange he's got a 450.

That is starting to take shape now. Going to do your shock spring orange as a ktm tribute?? Some silver / chrome and black to complement the purple. It will be distinctive - in a positive way.
AliceNicho likes this.

2016 Superduke GT - lucky #13
10 MV Agusta 1078 Brutale
13 BMW K1300S
10 Suzuki GSXR-750
11 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
07 Triumph Speed Triple
98 BMW R1100S
Yamaha FZR 600
Honda CB1100R
Kawasaki Z1R Mk2
Moto Guzzi T850
Ducati 900SS
77 Kawasaki Z650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode