KTM Forums banner

Break In

8K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Dragon Rider 
#1 ·
Hey, in have not posted on here in years ... but, I recently bought a 2019 KTM 690 SMC R and just wondered everybody’s opinion on whether I should break it in by the manual or the “other “ way by riding it hard and dropping oil sooner and replacing with conventional oil a couple times before 1500 miles or so . Then changing to the synthetic Motorex or Motul after it has broke in????? Have extended warranty so I was thinking of doing by the book so as not to give them a reason to deny coverage, but didn’t know if that was detrimental to engine. Also, does everyone just reuse the screens on the 690 or do you buy the full kit?

#3 ·
You are probably right... might be better to do it how the manual says! I just wondered if instead of waiting 600 on first change, maybe drain it at 100 and then at 600? I know my 2010 Duke was run in like they said too and it had a lot of metal I’m screen at 600 miles.... just makes me cringe with all that circulating for 600 miles. I hear the most of the break in is 20 to 50 or possibly 100 miles, so I wondered if is wise to let it stay in there the long on the first break in change?
Also, they put conventional oil from factory and if I drain it too early (before 600 miles) , that could be bad to put synthetic that soon in the motor. I guess they don’t sell that Cobra oil or I would use it for first conventional change ... then go to synthetic....

#5 ·
Why??

:surprise: Why would you have to leave the grit in there,:frown2: I changed my oil and cleaned screens at 300, did filters and oil again at 600 miles and then again at 1000, I have a 18 690 Duke and am running Rotella 15w40 dino till 3000 before going to syn oil, I have 2000 on her now and runs great, AGAIN its only 2 Quarts, :smile2:

#6 ·
I broke in my '17 690 duke per the manual. I replace the screens and filters and used the recommended oil at 660 miles (1,000 km). The whole kit was about $100.

I didn't find any filings in the screens or filters and at 1400 miles now it hasn't used even a drop of oil.

In fact it hasn't used any oil from mile 1. The level in the sight glass just doesn't change. :)

I plan on chaining the oil every 1,500 miles, with screens and filters every 3,000 miles. As was pointed out, it is only two quarts, so I want to keep those quarts fresh. And I've got another bike, so the miles are spread around so the oil changes won't be monthly or anything.

I want to keep a nice log book with receipts and notes for all the maintenance (I do it all myself) so there won't be any issues with the 24 months of warranty I've got.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.