KTM Forums banner

Picking up my 2019 SDGT White Saturday - can't sleep or concentrate on anything

9K views 53 replies 20 participants last post by  DaveAu 
#1 ·
Last time I felt like this was in 2008 when I bought the all new Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS. At the time it was one of the best sport touring bikes available, Cycle World awarded it MOTY that year. I remember being at work in meetings while waiting for the call from the dealer when the bike would be ready for pick up, people were talking to me, but all I could see were talking heads saying blah blah blah.
When I finally picked it up, I went back to work, parked it, and ended up throwing up with excitement.

Fast forward 11 years and here I am about to pick up again the best sport touring bike in the world, arguably the best road bike. It is coming from the warehouse arriving Saturday morning. Loan papers are already done.

I can't sleep or concentrate on anything. At work, the talking heads are back.

#4 · (Edited)
:laugh2:..... yeah, and no puuking until you've taken your helmet off eh :grin2:

Just a little bit of difference...... Concourse 290kg, SDGT 234kg....... still, the Concourse was like a BMW RT with big screen and cases and shaft drive........ the GT is definitely more sporty 'sports touring'.

:grin2:

#5 ·
Agree with the summary about the C14, but 11 years ago that was one ballistic sports tourer (and it had about 40 hp more than the bmw RT1200 at the same year).
About 70kg more than the sdgt, that's like a whole person...So, the sdgt has 20 more hp, about 70Kg less, and "quicker" geometry. I briefly sat on a '19 sdgt at the dealer, and when I swung it side to side, it felt soooo light in comparison. I haven't ridden a twin before, so it will be interesting to see. I can't wait. What an upgrade it will be.

24 hours to go....

#6 · (Edited)
Cheers haroldo,

I'm always excited when buying a new bike...... the thrill of deciding what to buy, then doing it, but also making sure the slick sales manager isn't trying to trick me out of more money than should be...... and the BS extra's like extended warranty etc. (tip.... arrange your own insurance before going to pay for the bike :wink2:).

Keep in mind the SDGT can be fitted with accessory racks to carry cases other than the small 30Ltr KTM (=Shad) cases...... google SW Motech if you think you will want larger cases (I have both, the KTM 30Ltr and a set of 40Ltr Givi E41 cases that I attach with the quick release SW Motech rack). I'd be wary of a huge (and expensive) 50Ltr top case unless you have a passenger..... just too much bulk/weight too far back past the axle..... I used the SW-M rack for the SDR and fitted a 34Ltr Shad top case in as close to the seat as possible - but I don't have a passenger. There are some pics on the other forum, 'KTM Super Twins', of the KTM 50Ltr case and oem power parts rack..... it sure sits a looong way back!

Ps...... riding a big twin for the first time eh? No worries, it's just another bike....BUT..... don't think because it's a twin that it can be lugged around at 3k rpm like the concourse can...... remember...... the 1290 motor is missing 2 cylinders! And, it is close to a race superbike spec..... so it's got a lightweight crankshaft, almost no piston skirts, 13.6 to 1 compression and it will be very happy if you let it spin over 4k rpm during the first 620mls (5k is better .... after break in you can look at over 6k, then it will blow your mind at 9500rpms :grin2:). Just stay a gear lower than you are used to and let it spin rather than lug it and make it 'chugg' or shake..... :wink2:.. or alter the Euro spec final gearing once you have ridden it in your conditions. (note my Gt took over 5,000kms to "run in" and loosen up - engine & suspension).

I haven't ridden the 19 yet, but my 17GT had to use 2nd for city/suburban speeds - until I changed the rear sprocket to +2 teeth (40).... to correct the slightly tall gearing for no penalty to economy and heaps smoother city traffic riding (and 6th was then useable at highway speed limits). That is a 15minute job due to the clever quick change rear single sided swingarm design.

So just like my mate with his 16 R1200RT..... rev it don't lug it....... hell even new HD's like more revs than the old tractor's..... :grin2:

Pps Yu are joining at a great time..... there's so much info around now..... and the guys have worked out which mods do what etc etc depending on what you might want to change after getting used to the new bike. :clap:

#7 ·
Thanks for the detailed reply. So, what about the extended warranty? Should I not get it? I was planning on doing so... If anything, typically you can buy extended warranties as long as the original warranty is still valid.

I don't have the bike's VIN yet, but I checked my insurance app (geico) and I can add the bike right on my phone, so I'll do it tomorrow.

About the cases, are you talking about SW Motech replacement side cases, or added top case?

#10 ·
Cheers H...... this is what I can choose from...... Oh darnit I've dragged and dropped pics so can't post below them..... I was going to say I never buy extended warranty as we have a 2year stat warranty here in Aus, but your circumstances may make the extra cover well worth while.... eg short riding season due snow vs we ride all rear round and clock up 20+k kms (12+k miles) without much effort (unless you have to stop for some heart surgery like me :laugh2:..... but I'm back onboard the Gt now...... a whole 112kms on today's ride :grin2:).

Ps see how close the 34ltr Shad top case sneaks in to the seat..... the KTM (made by Shad) 50Ltr sits much further back to allow for a passenger back rest pad...... essential if you travel 2 up..... but awkward for solo use.

I'll see if I can download a pic of the KTM gear from the other forum......

Attachments

#8 ·
Yeah, just don't expect it to be as smooth as an inline 4--it's a completely different animal, but in a good way. When I go from my FJR1300 to the SDR it's like going from a Cadillac to a go-cart! That's what 440 lbs. and 177 HP will do for you.

#11 ·
Cheers H......

Here's a pic of Gary's Kato I pinched from the other forum....... he has it set up with the 50Ltr top case and rack from the power parts catalogue...... and it is keyed alike to the ignition.

https://www.ktmforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=86926&stc=1&d=1554007309

That's a seriously big top case and it sits a long way behind the rear axle....... I just wanted to alert you to the options available if you want larger side cases and a smaller (less costly) top case...... there's lots of other stuff out for 1290GT's now....

Happy searching and accessorizing :grin2:

Ps yur model is different in the front..... but identical at the rear to ours so you will have a key for the cases regardless of keyless ignition up front.

Attachments

#13 ·
We're home!

It's here! I arrived at the dealership with the KTM delivery truck. Even their semi truck is bad a$$. Then I proceeded to wait for about 5 hours. The dealership guys kept on apologizing for the wait, and I kept telling them how excited I was to be there and that it was OK. I finally got it late afternoon, and went for a 400 miles ride yesterday up the north coast of California (SF to Mendocino and back, all on hwy 1).
I have no words to describe how awesome this thing is. It is so much more manageable than the Concours. It does everything so preciscely and quickly. The suspension somehow is comfy in the freeway, but stiffens up in the twisties.
The quickshifter makes me sounds and feel like Valentino Rossi.
I came back with the bike covered in bugs. Already had its first bath :D

Attachments

#18 ·
Good Lookin Bike

That's one grand entrance to the forum :wink2:

I think you've scored the best looking one...... the all black version is nice too, but doesn't make the statement the white one makes........ and the silver/grey colour scheme I've only seen on the KTM site doesn't stand out much - though it could be the black one with tricky lighting reflections :laugh2:

Happy riding mate :grin2:

Reactions: Riktator
#37 ·
Good Lookin Bike

That's one grand entrance to the forum :wink2:

I think you've scored the best looking one...... the all black version is nice too, but doesn't make the statement the white one makes........ and the silver/grey colour scheme I've only seen on the KTM site doesn't stand out much - though it could be the black one with tricky lighting reflections :laugh2:

Happy riding mate :grin2:
Maybe so but the black ones are faster. ;)

Reactions: DaveAu
#19 ·
Yes, the Superduke is easily the greatest and most entertaining motorcycle I've ever ridden. There's a reason why it won so many awards. It's damn fine, and you can't go wrong with it.

Now scram! Go ride it!

#21 ·
D@mn you!!!!!!!

The '19 GT has taken so long to actually get around to dealers that I'd actually pretty much talked myself out of "needing" it more than my '13 ZX14R. Especially with the quite steep price, that crazy @ss lookin' front end :surprise: ... and apparent suspect build quality and reliability :dizzy:

And then you go and post this ... :crying2:

#23 ·
I owned the Kawi C14 for 10 years. I bought it new in 08. Long story short, a mother f#$%er rear ended me as I was standing still in the shoulder last year in June (2018). The Concours was totaled, I went to the ER with a bad concussion (don't remember the crash) and a fractured sacrum, which I learned later is the bone which connects both sides of you pelvis, so, kind of an important bone to keep together.

Truth is, if it wasn't for that sac of $hit person, which was barely insured by the way, I would still be on the C14. I had been eyeing the SDGT since 2016 when sightings of it came about and rumors became reality. I thought, what a perfect sport tourer that is, maybe one day I'll own one. The accident, as bad as it was, was the catalyst for be getting the Duke GT.

After the accident, and after I recovered, I realized the 2019 model was going to get lots of updates, so I waited patiently until now :D

I'm sure your ZX14R is fun as hell, I wouldn't feel left out

#25 ·
Like several others here, I bought an 08 Concours 14 (non-abs) in late 2007 and loved that bike. Last Fall on the way back home from the Carolinas, a deer decided to run into the left front of the bike forcing the bike and I into the ditch. A couple of guys in a truck helped me get the bike back up on the road. Checked the bike over an found a lot of cosmetic damage, but fired it up and rode another 90 miles home. Turns out the bike was totaled. Went into the ER and found that I had 3 broken ribs. I've found that (at 72) I don't heal like I did when I was 30 or 40. Finally feeling good and back responding to fire & EMS calls. My new SDGT (black) is waiting for me to pick it up in Cambridge, MN. If it weren't for the snow we received over the last week, it would be in the garage. I'm a little concerned that I may be inseam challenged (30" inseam) on a bike with a seat height of 32.9". I'll find out next week when I pick it up. I also question my sanity over going from a low maintenance shaft drive to a chain, but hopefully the improved handling will offset the additional chain maintenance. I'm like a 72 year old kid on Christmas Eve. Wonder if I can get a set of knees replaced with extensions to take care of the seat height. Austrians must be tall folk.

#26 ·
Congratulations! :cheers: I'm sure you can hardly wait. We're lucky in California, winter here is also riding season. I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam also. No problems on the SDGT. In fact, I noticed no difference between its height and that of the C14. You will love this thing. You'll be amazed as to how effortlessly it rides compared to the Concours.

Speaking of C14, I'm sort of surprised as to how many SDGT owners previously owned the Concours.

By the way, ask your dealer if your bike has hand guards. The 2019s come with hand guards, but KTM started shipping them (at least in the US) without them and giving buyers an IOU note for them. Right before my bike was prepped, the salesman said my hand guards were not yet shipped by KTM, but new bikes arriving already had them on, so it could be any time. I told them I wasn't going to buy the bike without hand guards, and asked them to transfer from a recently uncrated SDGT on the floor which had them. Of course, they did it.

Took the bike in for 600 miles service Tuesday morning, and the dealer still hasn't got to it. Miss her so much :grin2:

#27 · (Edited)
G'day Bootmeister (in advance of delivery)...... :wink2:

You will be impressed with the quality...... the SDGT is as good as any Kawasaki/Honda/Yamaha and just as reliable as anything........ maybe some early 2016's (on the back of the very early SDR's) might have had some odd issues with assembly quality, but my 17GT has been perfect.

It's light weight racy style of tourer so don't fall for the myth that big cap V2's are supposed to like lugging around at idle revs....... they don't (except for maybe the 1800cc cruisers with battlesgip sized crankshaft's :laugh2:). (keep in mind that it will take 3-4000miles to fully loosen up engine AND suspension.....).

Your C14 was a fabulous bike, but at over 300kg it would have been a heavy lift. The SDGT weighs 233kg fully fueled so you will think it's a 250cc....... except it puts 150hp to the ground straight out of the crate :grin2:.

So welcome to the forum and for the first few rides, keep those revs up around or over 4k - it won't hurt that motor and they need to rev to stop that super light crankshaft and 13.6 to 1 comp motor from chugging.

There are some tweaks to consider once you get used to it....... I put a +2 teeth sprocket on the quick change rear (15 mins to swap) to lower the slightly tall gearing for my local speed limits and urban traffic or you could choose to do the O2 elimination dongle kit to richen up the <5k rpm lean air fuel ratio...... have a look at Rottweiler's O2 dongle video for an excellent explanation. The SDGT has no "fueling" problem, it just has been made to run on the lean side of perfect to pass E4 and Calif emissions regs :wink2: and Rottweier has a simple solution.

Anyway, enough blabbing :)clap:)...... you have chosen a brilliant bike...... adapt to it and you will be super happy.

PS there is an ergo comfort (heated) seat, but it is 12mm (0.5") taller even thought it is better shaped, so you might need to have the oem seat sides shaved - see how you feel after a few rides....... and at risk of drowning you with BS...... ask the dealer to disable the 'low pressure' warning message (but retain the TPMS = tyre pressure readout) so you can run safer tyre pressures - it's such a light bike, it will slip with 36f42r (Eg most of us run around 35psiF & 37psiR solo unloaded....... those who don't have already crashed on cold/slippery roads :wink2:). Your chain won't need much maintenance...... it doesn't stretch unless you do wheelstands, and it's easy to brush on some Motul C5 chain paste......... or.......... get one of these for weekend trips....... (it's the Snapjack SS prop stand...... brilliant) :grin2:

Attachments

#29 ·
In all honestly, I would likely gone back to another Concours 14 except that I have been attending bike shows ever since I bought the C14 and asking the factory reps to add cruise control. I swore that I wouldn't buy another bike that didn't have cruise. Yes, I know that there are aftermarket kits (Rosta, Audiovox, Mccruise, etc.) available, but on a cross country sport touring bike, you shouldn't need to drill, fabricate, and end up with something that may or may not meet expectations.

Weight, or lack of it really gets my blood moving. Sport touring bikes have been getting heavier over time. I ride with some guys that have moved into bikes like the BMW K1600 GT. Nice bike, but you might as well be driving a tank. Scott's newest one even has reverse! I like bikes that handle! While I was in Arizona over the Winter I rode a Honda 600. I was grinning so much that it was hard to get the helmet off. You could flick that puppy from turn to turn using the force. The idea that the SDGT weighs just under 500 pounds is exciting.

I'll check out the O2 dongle info. Also appreciate the info on tire pressure. I had already considered going up 2 teeth on the rear as I had heard that the factory gearing has the bike loafing at (semi-legal) freeway speeds. Again, thanks for all the good info. Now, if we can just get rid of the snow!:frown2:

#28 ·
Thanks for the tip on the hand guards. I've seen them in pictures and just assumed that they would be delivered on the bike.

The input on being inseam challenged sounds positive. It is likely the biggest concern I have had with this purchase as I was unable to find a 2019 to sit on to check it out. I didn't think the idea of riding in high heels would come off as being very manly.

#31 ·
not the place to start a new argument, but I've owned a K1600GT and they actually handle REALLY surprisingly well. I could pretty much keep up with most of my sport bike friends on all but the very twistiest roads, two up without a sweat on mine.... Still - I'm really enjoying my SDGT '19 its a weapon :)

#32 ·
I owned a K1300S ... and it was a bit disturbing in how quickly it covered ground without ever seeming to be going quickly. My R1100S was the same..... just not as horizon bending as the K13.

My issue with the K13 was that it was just too long in the wheelbase, and slower to turn as a result for the country I was riding it in. Staggeringly fast in sweeper territory, not so good up in the Kosciusko National Park. My MV Brutale 1078RR was the exact opposite. It felt fast everywhere, particularly when the going was tight. I traded both to get the GT .... and got both bikes in one.

#34 ·
Just an update to earlier info......

I stumbled onto a post in a car forum about putting a washer under the O2 exhaust sensor to fix lean running.

So I tried that after removing my O2 fuel dongles...... I left the 2mm Cu washers in place (they came with the bungs to seal the O2 ports) and after a 140km ride I thought the standard set up (O2 closed loop) with the washers under the O2 sensors was almost as good as the O2 removal kit....... and cost nothing.

I haven't re-tested my initial thoughts yet..... yesterday I rode my GT in stock trim (paper airfilter, O2 closed loop) so next I'll try the washers under the O2 probes again - but I've been reading on the forum that there may be factory service updates for tune and suspension available for download at service time. So maybe 19 GT's won't need any dongles etc as revisions come through the system - and maybe 16-18 GT's might get some updates too.

I think my 17GT might have the suspension software update, but I don't know for sure (could be imagining it)..... Mine has always been good on the throttle (lively, not troublesome) - sometimes I regret not testing a 16t front sprocket for myself, but certainly, the +2 teeth rear makes Aussie speed zones/city traffic easy.

Anyway, 12,600kms up and it's running great, suspension nice and plush compared to when new, heading to it's 15k km second service and some new tyres :clap:. :grin2:

#36 ·
I expect to be back in Gold Canyon in mid October and we can schedule a ride then. I won't have my SDGT with me, but I have an FJR1300 sitting in the garage waiting for me in AZ. Two days ago we had a rain-snow mix here. Hopefully the weather will moderate and I can get some additional miles on the SDGT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.