Anyone mount up from the left peg? - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Anyone mount up from the left peg?

I just had my left hip replaced, and once I start riding again, I'll be a bit challenged when getting on my SDGT. I'm planning on mounting it the same way I do my DRZ400: left foot on left peg, then swing right leg over. Does anybody here do it that way on their SDGT? I'm a little worried about strength of side stand, but if others do it that way, I guess it's fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
fat guys beware!!

just a word of caution when mounting your bike cowboy style. you dont mention the size of the rider and this can be a critical oversight for some larger and heavier riders. your side stand is usually engineered to support the weight of the bike with some additional weight considerations engineered into its mounting. they are not designed for big heavy guys to exert riders full body weight while the rider mounts the bike. most riders will do exactly as you describe without issue, but be careful. i try to keep an aluminum scrap or metal scrap plate under side stand foot in soft terrain or gravel. best to be careful not to put too much trust in sidestand mount and try to mount carefully in the event sidestand foot digs in soft terrain or gravel. best wishes on your hip recovery.

A REAL MANS CREED
If it rolls, burns rubber, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gun powder, makes lots of noise, produces recoil or a
rooster tail----it's cool.
But if it uses a ball, a bat, racquet or club, or is played on a court or green by yuppies or liberals----it's a piece of
crap!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

I'm about 200 lbs, geared up (90 kg or so). I do have an oversized foot pad attached to the side stand to prevent sinking into gravel, mud, or hot asphalt (ebay, $14.95). Main question is just how robust is the side stand itself? Experiences of other riders might be a good indicator.

Thanks for the best wishes. Had the surgery one month ago, and am finally feeling human again. Doc took me off all meds today (Coumadin, et al). That alone will make me feel better.
GaryCulb likes this.

Last edited by Clogan; 04-01-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogan View Post
I just had my left hip replaced, and once I start riding again, I'll be a bit challenged when getting on my SDGT. I'm planning on mounting it the same way I do my DRZ400: left foot on left peg, then swing right leg over. Does anybody here do it that way on their SDGT? I'm a little worried about strength of side stand, but if others do it that way, I guess it's fine.
Yep, done it from day one & I am over 200lbs. Yes, S-W Motech kickstand foot enlarger ( https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...r-duke-gt-2017 ) & changed out the KTM SDGT footpegs to the Puig Trail model ( https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/foot...responsivetab7 ). Like the rubber driver pegs for Sports Touring.

Best,

Doc

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:42 PM

Garage
If I have particularly tight jeans on or it has been a long day riding and the joints are aching, I have been known to mount my SD R in the manner you describe.

I have no basis on the metallurgy or the engineers forethought, but you'd think the engineers that designed the SuperDukes would take this into account.

2018 SDR Owners Manual >>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:33 AM
Mega Poster

Garage
Thumbs up

I was concerned like you...... but I also mount up 'cowboy style' - I am only 80kgs in gear (err 176lbs) and have a foot plate extension on the side stand arm.

It looks flimsy, but I am heartened by the above comments, as I too will need a new left hip soon, and sometimes the old hip gets too sore to let me throw my leg over like a real person

Current bikes ...
017 1290 SDGT - 14,091kms
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 CBR1100XX Blue - 130k garage ornament

Sadly departed as trade-ins..
014 caponord 1200TP - 39k
02 CBR1100XX Black - 54k
94 FZR1000 Genisis - 150k
93 FZR1000 Genisis - 24k
88 FJ 1200 - 84k
85 FJ 1100 - 54k
(+XS1100P..... appx 10k)
84 VF1000F - 30k
(+CX500 & VF750S..... appx 30k)
81 Z1000J1 - 55k
79 Z1000ST - 36k
78 CB750F2 - 27k
74 CB360T - 36k
CB175 pre licence learner in 1974
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:23 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Still standing

All of us older riders share common bike mounting issues with our added weight and sore and worn body parts. We should start a geriatric rider thread here and trade stories.
@Clogan mentions a DRZ 400 in previous post. That bike is easier to mount and ride after lowering the suspension 1 1/2 inch. Most older riders like myself find our arthritic hips can swing a leg over a lower seat easier and donít need the extra suspension travel. Also wanted to remind the riders using the cowboy method of mounting their bike to check the side stand mounting hardware regularly as part of normal maintenance and pre ride checks.
Seniors Rule!!

A REAL MANS CREED
If it rolls, burns rubber, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gun powder, makes lots of noise, produces recoil or a
rooster tail----it's cool.
But if it uses a ball, a bat, racquet or club, or is played on a court or green by yuppies or liberals----it's a piece of
crap!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:31 AM
Mega Poster

Yup. 215 lb, geriatric-ish, stock stand, no issues. I do check for soft ground and pull in the clutch when the engine is running.

'61 BSA Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Daytona 675R (track bike), '13 Duke 690, '17 1290 GT, '18 Street Triple RS
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:09 AM
Mega Poster

I think the near-vertical angle of the sidestand would help it resist breakage when mounting as described.

Although I'm long-legged enough to get on from ground level, I have a method; I cock my knee (heel to butt), lay the knee on the seat and then extend. Being able to just swing a leg over doesn't help much with a topcase and a duffle on the pillion.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:53 PM
Full Throttle

255 i reakon and i tried coyboy style but dropped the bike, i just kung fu it through the seat with a bent knee and boot higher than knee.

2008 1190 RC8
2007 690 SM

racers toolbox thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode