SW-Motech Rear seat rack Super Duke GT - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

SW-Motech Rear seat rack Super Duke GT

The reviews are really disappointing. They report fitment and installation issues.
The first review says that the rack is incompatible with the side bags on the SDGT.
WTF?
I find it hard to believe that SW-Motech would do something that idiotic as far as offering extra luggage accessory which requires you to ditch the bags.
Really interested in that rack for an upcoming trip in end of May, but it sounds terrible.
Has anyone here used tried this?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...BoCDfMQAvD_BwE

I've found this other one, but no reviews on install, fitment, or water seal:

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-b...RoCdbkQAvD_BwE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:12 PM
Mega Poster

I have the SW-Motech Alu-Rack that (along with an adapter) attaches my Monokey topcase with absolutely no interference with the stock panniers. Unless the seat rack attaches altogether differently I can't see how it could interfere. The Alu-Rack replaces the stock grabrail with a couple of flat brackets that attach to the rack.

The Motech seat rack looks as if the bags have to go on before the rack but the Hepco-Becker rack looks like it would interfere with the stock bag attachment points. The Alu-Rack leaves the passenger seat in place. It may be slightly smaller than a seat rack, but its shape nicely follows the line of the taillight fairing.

Last edited by Hammerhead; 04-11-2019 at 06:17 PM.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:39 AM

I also have the SW motech rack to fit my givi monokey e52 box on my 2019 SDGT. Install was a breeze, and as usual quality product. No fitment or interference issues with the cases.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mst3kguy View Post
I also have the SW motech rack to fit my givi monokey e52 box on my 2019 SDGT. Install was a breeze, and as usual quality product. No fitment or interference issues with the cases.

I also have 2017 SDGT with SW Motech Alu Rack ,Fit +Finish were excellent works perfect with my Givi 46 ltr+ 26 ltr, no interference with Panniers
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:02 PM
Silver Member

Garage
Cheers H-o,

I have the rear seat cover/rack on my SDGT....... so I know all about it

I bought it because I was able to get a 'solo' rider registration discount and the SWM seat rack plate was ideal to 'show' any difficult law enforcement orrificers that I had 'no passenger seat' (pegs removed also).

It isn't the best thing - it is not water proof, fits well enough but unless you intend to strap extra luggage onto the back I'd say it isn't worth the $ (I got mine with a sale discount and I wouldn't pay full price for one).

Here's a pic - it could have been so much better but it is fit for my purpose and when I run with my KTM(Shad) cases I just clip the oem seat pad back on. I had no issue with it's fit but I had to seal the holes with silicone even though water will pour in at the back....... and the dust skirt (foam) doesn't fit snuggly either....... pretty rough really, but it's all I needed to stop any agro from a hot headed overzealous copper .... and it has already paid for itself with this years rego renewal on solo rider discount.

PS the seat rack fits very close to the SWM Givi conversion racks.... but gets in the way of the oem Shad (ktm) cases..... I suppose those tags could be bend upwards, to make room for the case lugs... but the seat plate would have to come off each time you want to remove/install a pannier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The business end.... SW Motech racks + seat plate  6-3-2019.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	87428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motech rear end adds 7kg includes set rack and EVO side rack.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	87430  

Current bikes ...
017 1290 SDGT - 12,400kms
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 CBR1100XX Blue - 130k garage ornament
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sadly departed as trade-ins..
014 caponord 1200TP - 39k
02 CBR1100XX Black - 54k
94 FZR1000 Genisis - 150k
93 FZR1000 Genisis - 24k
88 FJ 1200 - 84k
85 FJ 1100 - 54k
(+XS1100P..... appx 10k)
84 VF1000F - 30k
(+CX500 & VF750S..... appx 30k)
81 Z1000J1 - 55k
79 Z1000ST - 36k
78 CB750F2 - 27k
74 CB360T - 36k
CB175 pre licence learner in 1974

Last edited by DaveAu; 04-19-2019 at 11:28 PM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:06 PM
Silver Member

Garage
Thumbs up

PS...... the Op isn't referring to the "Alu" rack....... he is asking about the SWM rear seat rack as shown in the above pics..... I have both the Alu rack and the rear seat rack installed (as well as the conversion frames for larger Givi side cases).

Current bikes ...

02 CBR1100XX Black - 54k
93 FZR1000 Genisis - 24k
88 FJ 1200 - 84k
85 FJ 1100 - 54k
(+XS1100P..... appx 10k)
84 VF1000F - 30k
81 Z1000J1 - 55k
79 Z1000ST - 36k
78 CB750F2 - 27k
74 CB360T - 36k
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:13 PM
Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldo_psf View Post
The reviews are really disappointing. They report fitment and installation issues.
The first review says that the rack is incompatible with the side bags on the SDGT.
WTF?
I find it hard to believe that SW-Motech would do something that idiotic as far as offering extra luggage accessory which requires you to ditch the bags.
Really interested in that rack for an upcoming trip in end of May, but it sounds terrible.
Has anyone here used tried this?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...BoCDfMQAvD_BwE

I've found this other one, but no reviews on install, fitment, or water seal:

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-b...RoCdbkQAvD_BwE

Cheers Ho...... that H&B seat rack plate looks way better than the SWM version...... still nothing written about allowing the oem cases - maybe email Hepco & Becker for confirmation or phone your local stockist and ask if they 'know' it will fit with cases........ it looks like it has heaps more coverage than the SWM (taller/longer/etc) - The SWM has been around since 2016, I haven't seen this one before so it may be very new to the market.

PS I think the Germans figure if you are fitting the metal seat plate, you won't be using the road cases when off road.... the seat plate works well with all their other rugged metal products. Make sure the H&B system will work with the thicker case lugs...... good price too......

Current bikes ...

02 CBR1100XX Black - 54k
93 FZR1000 Genisis - 24k
88 FJ 1200 - 84k
85 FJ 1100 - 54k
(+XS1100P..... appx 10k)
84 VF1000F - 30k
81 Z1000J1 - 55k
79 Z1000ST - 36k
78 CB750F2 - 27k
74 CB360T - 36k

Last edited by DaveAu; 04-19-2019 at 05:18 PM.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:38 AM

After only owning my 2019 SDGT for a few days and limited riding (due to snow and cold), the first thing that hit me was that it has far less hard bag storage space than my Concours 14. On top of that, there is no luggage rack. I generally tour with a waterproof bag strapped on the luggage rack. I thought I could just strap it on to the passenger seat, but this results it two issues. The first is that the waterproof bag will contact and rub the top of the bags. If any dust gets between the two, the hard bags will be a mess. The second issue is the lack of places to add tie down straps. The reviews are not very positive, but I though I'd give it a chance. I ordered the following:

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-b...-super-duke-gt

I also ordered an enlargement rack to keep the waterproof bag off the tops of the KTM hard bags:

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-b...ar-racks-black

I am hopeful that the sportrack will allow the bags to fit on the SDGT (there seems to be mixed opinions out there). I am not concerned with being able to take the bags on and off, just have access to the bags. Time will tell. I am expecting an issue when I have the enlargement rack in place as it may block access to the locks on the bags. If everything else is working well, I can always use a hole saw to cut a couple of key access holes. It might be just as easy to remove the sportrack and enlargement rack as a combination to access the bags. I only envision using the sportrack and enlargement rack when touring as the stock passenger seat will be used other times. Will keep the forum posted on my progress or lack thereof.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:13 AM

I ordered the sw motech rack and adapt for the givi monokey topbox. The rack has plenty of attachment points if you want to pack on back without using the givi (or shad or whatever box you use). Sw motech makes quality products and has been doing it for a while.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostmeister View Post
After only owning my 2019 SDGT for a few days and limited riding (due to snow and cold), the first thing that hit me was that it has far less hard bag storage space than my Concours 14. On top of that, there is no luggage rack. I generally tour with a waterproof bag strapped on the luggage rack. I thought I could just strap it on to the passenger seat, but this results it two issues. The first is that the waterproof bag will contact and rub the top of the bags. If any dust gets between the two, the hard bags will be a mess. The second issue is the lack of places to add tie down straps. The reviews are not very positive, but I though I'd give it a chance. I ordered the following:

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-b...-super-duke-gt

I also ordered an enlargement rack to keep the waterproof bag off the tops of the KTM hard bags:

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-b...ar-racks-black

I am hopeful that the sportrack will allow the bags to fit on the SDGT (there seems to be mixed opinions out there). I am not concerned with being able to take the bags on and off, just have access to the bags. Time will tell. I am expecting an issue when I have the enlargement rack in place as it may block access to the locks on the bags. If everything else is working well, I can always use a hole saw to cut a couple of key access holes. It might be just as easy to remove the sportrack and enlargement rack as a combination to access the bags. I only envision using the sportrack and enlargement rack when touring as the stock passenger seat will be used other times. Will keep the forum posted on my progress or lack thereof.
YEs please come back and let us know what you find. I'm really interested in fitment and ability to use / access the side bags with the plate on. Looking forward to your comments

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode