SD GT 2019 - no electricity? - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Question SD GT 2019 - no electricity?

Hi, brand new 2019 model SD GT 2019. Less than 200km driven. Race-on tip switch will be changed as I could not start at all (=no electricity) my bike. 2-3 same kind of cases in Finland also in R- model. Do you have any similar experience? Waiting now for new part to arrive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:53 PM

Yes, I bought my 2019 GT in Feb and they delivered it to my house. I took it out the next day for the first ride and it died on me a couple of times. Then it started throwing errors and was acting funny. I called and had them pick it up and take it back - they went through and reset everything, thinking that they just needed to clear the errors and life would go on. They dropped it off a few days later thinking it was fixed. I started it and it seemed to work fine. Then I was going to take it out for a ride the next day with my brother, but the bike was completely dead - no "Ready to Race" or any other signs of life. I took it to a closer dealer thinking I might have a fuse issue (didn't see anything) or something similar that they might be able to fix. No luck. So they kept it and went through a lot of diagnostics with KTM and eventually pinned it down to the same switch you mentioned - the grey button. They said they thought a wire had been damaged during shipping or something. Now however hearing that others have had this issue makes me think it's a defect. All I know is I was unable to ride my bike for over a month while all this went on and then waiting for the part to come in. The good news is my local dealer has good mechanics and only focus on KTM.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

At the moment, they have changed the grey part, ready to go and still do not work. Manufacturer over the internet studying the case. Not good😪
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koskijou View Post
At the moment, they have changed the grey part, ready to go and still do not work. Manufacturer over the internet studying the case. Not good😪
please keep us posted. I'm on a new 2019 GT as well, and about to go on a 5 day road trip in a month. Things like this scare me.

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:03 PM

I bought my brand new 2015 SDR in Nov 2018 (superseded model) and at around the 1000km mark while out riding it just died after I had made a rest stop and couldn't re-start it. After attempting to jump start it I sent a mate to ride off the get a new battery from the Dealer about 50km away, nothing worked.
I spent the rest of the day retreiving the bike as the Dealer refused to assist in my stranding and I eventually sent it off to them for repair the following Monday.......turns out the starter motor relay was faulty.........I am at 6500km and no further problems...(touch wood)
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:26 PM

I've had no issues since - now at 630 miles is all. Check the tightness of the earth ground - where the negative battery post has a cable that runs to the frame just under the back of the tank I believe. Another thread talked about how that was an issue for their bike - the bolt where it ground was not tight.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 01:00 AM
Mega Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper1500 View Post
I've had no issues since - now at 630 miles is all. Check the tightness of the earth ground - where the negative battery post has a cable that runs to the frame just under the back of the tank I believe. Another thread talked about how that was an issue for their bike - the bolt where it ground was not tight.
Yes that's worth a look...... check all the battery connections, but look at the earth lead - it goes under the rear of the tank, to another bolt connector, then it goes down to the engine crankcase - so just to be sure, check they are all tight. It's probably not the cause..... but worth a look. (no need to lift the tank... it's awkward, but you can follow the cable with a lamp in just the right spot.....).

One question though....... do you let the ecu do it's system check before pressing the start button? (my KTM dealer mech said quick starting might corrupt the software).

I've not had any issue with mine, but it's always good to know where or when anyone finds something so I can check mine just in case .

I hope your dealerships are doing their 'pre-delivery' checks properly and thoroughly....... I think that makes a huge difference to the owners experience..... especially those first few days .

Let us know what it was that caused the problem.

Current bikes ...
017 1290 SDGT - 14,091kms
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 CBR1100XX Blue - 130k garage ornament
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sadly departed as trade-ins..
014 caponord 1200TP - 39k
02 CBR1100XX Black - 54k
94 FZR1000 Genisis - 150k
93 FZR1000 Genisis - 24k
88 FJ 1200 - 84k
85 FJ 1100 - 54k
(+XS1100P..... appx 10k)
84 VF1000F - 30k
(+CX500 & VF750S..... appx 30k)
81 Z1000J1 - 55k
79 Z1000ST - 36k
78 CB750F2 - 27k
74 CB360T - 36k
CB175 pre licence learner in 1974
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 03:23 AM

I had same issue on SDR 18 when I installed PCV and didn't tighten negative clip on the battery. The bike would start once, run perfectly fine, but on next start it won't start as if no electricity.

In the end I tighten the screw on negative clip and no issues whatsoever.

SuperDuke 1290R
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Hi, Now I have had two or 3 times the situation when this bike is not starting at all - tried about 10-15 times… Then suddenly started and worked some days - no problem? Today 25th, I got a warning signal "general failure". I stopped it and started - all Okey? Then 15min later - it did not start? Not even tried 20 times. Kills witch off and no gear on etc.
Then I used clutch when starting and it worked. Even again after stopped. What a heck?
This KTM SD GT is 2019 and less tahn 900km driven. Already once "grey buttom" changed - ready to race….
Any similar experience faced?
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:04 PM
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper1500 View Post
Yes, I bought my 2019 GT in Feb and they delivered it to my house. I took it out the next day for the first ride and it died on me a couple of times. Then it started throwing errors and was acting funny. I called and had them pick it up and take it back - they went through and reset everything, thinking that they just needed to clear the errors and life would go on. They dropped it off a few days later thinking it was fixed. I started it and it seemed to work fine. Then I was going to take it out for a ride the next day with my brother, but the bike was completely dead - no "Ready to Race" or any other signs of life. I took it to a closer dealer thinking I might have a fuse issue (didn't see anything) or something similar that they might be able to fix. No luck. So they kept it and went through a lot of diagnostics with KTM and eventually pinned it down to the same switch you mentioned - the grey button. They said they thought a wire had been damaged during shipping or something. Now however hearing that others have had this issue makes me think it's a defect. All I know is I was unable to ride my bike for over a month while all this went on and then waiting for the part to come in. The good news is my local dealer has good mechanics and only focus on KTM.
Hi - Any update on your situation? Was your issue resolved? If so, what was the root cause?

Look forward to your update!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode