General Failure warning came and went - 2019 SDGT - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

General Failure warning came and went - 2019 SDGT

So, I turned off the bike (2019 SDGT), turned the TFT off. One minute later, I turned it back on, and as I rode away, I noticed a red warning on the left bottom side (kinda like the normal yellow ones that show on the left bottom, but this one was red, and on the right). It said "General Failure". How great!
So, I'm riding this thing, swearing inside my helmet, and trying to see if the bike was in limp mode (rain mode). It definitely wasn't. It was still operating at full power, and all functions were still there (quickshifter, etc).
I pressed the "Set" button on the handlebar to go to menus and see wtf, but as I pressed it, the warning went away and never came back.

I started the bike over several times again trying to reproduce, and nothing. Everything seems normal.

Should I worry about this? Anyone else seen this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:07 PM

I got a general failure notification early on when my grey "Race On" switch was failing. It did all kinds of crazy things like dying at stops, switching on/off repeatedly when I pressed the switch to wake it up, etc. Once when it died on me at a stop, I restarted it and got the "General Failure" message. I think it went away later after I restarted it. Anyway, all of that was eventually resolved after they replaced the whole right-side switch mechanism which had apparently failed - broken wire or something they said. After the fix, thus far, I've had zero issues.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper1500 View Post
I got a general failure notification early on when my grey "Race On" switch was failing. It did all kinds of crazy things like dying at stops, switching on/off repeatedly when I pressed the switch to wake it up, etc. Once when it died on me at a stop, I restarted it and got the "General Failure" message. I think it went away later after I restarted it. Anyway, all of that was eventually resolved after they replaced the whole right-side switch mechanism which had apparently failed - broken wire or something they said. After the fix, thus far, I've had zero issues.
hmmm. I don't have any of your symptoms like dying at stops or anything. It runs like a champ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:14 PM

General failure is usually nothing serious, you can get a general failure from a bulb that is out or if you don't click the turn signal switch all the way to the left or right. I can actually trigger a General failure purposely on the turn signals on command lol.

Nothing to be worried about.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Paul

--
2016 1290 Super Duke R
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo.gyds03 View Post
General failure is usually nothing serious, you can get a general failure from a bulb that is out or if you don't click the turn signal switch all the way to the left or right. I can actually trigger a General failure purposely on the turn signals on command lol.

whew! Thanks!

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:15 PM

Yours is a 19' so this won't be your issue but when the battery in my 16' GT started to fail I had some similar issues. Especially at start up.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Rig View Post
Yours is a 19' so this won't be your issue but when the battery in my 16' GT started to fail I had some similar issues. Especially at start up.
That correlates with what the tech was saying when they were trying to diagnose mine. He said that these SDs really don't like a low-voltage battery condition.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:27 PM
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo.gyds03 View Post

Maybe that's why you have to leave the horn wired in when you add a louder horn. Probably throws that warning.
pablo.gyds03 likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
Maybe that's why you have to leave the horn wired in when you add a louder horn. Probably throws that warning.
Crazy, I was just looking at air horns then this popped up. Lol nice!

Paul

--
2016 1290 Super Duke R
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 09:00 PM
Mega Poster

My Stebel Nautilus makes quite a racket alongside the stock beeper.
pablo.gyds03 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode