GPS Mounts for 2019 SD GT - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

GPS Mounts for 2019 SD GT

Anyone have a picture of their GPS mount setup on a 2019 GT? PowerParts shows nothing and the offering on KTM Twins https://ktmtwins.com/collections/ktm...tm-61312992044 has no details of where or how. I'm thinking there is a better way than the Garmin handlebar mount.

2019 Super Duke GT
2002 Aprilia Futura...moving to a new home
2005 Aprilia Tuono...sold
1971 CZ 250 RIP
1966 Hodaka Ace 90 RIP
1968 Honda Trail 90 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:20 AM
Mega Poster

I use an Iphone 10s as a GPS, so the Touratech cradle I got as a bonus works fine. Rather than pay $60 or the adapter for the GT, I made my own from a piece of light steel channel. Not sure if the '19 would require anything different, but if I needed something larger, I'd consider one of the X-shaped cradles that can handle different sized units.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riktator View Post
Anyone have a picture of their GPS mount setup on a 2019 GT? PowerParts shows nothing and the offering on KTM Twins https://ktmtwins.com/collections/ktm...tm-61312992044 has no details of where or how. I'm thinking there is a better way than the Garmin handlebar mount.
Just a thought...I also have a 2019 GT, and I almost put a GPS mount on it, but once I got the KTM Navigation and helmet audio working seamlessly, I just end up using both Google maps on my phone (phone in pocket or charging on the left compartment) and the KTM navigation on the display. That gives me voice guided and in dash directions. Pretty sweet, and so clean, no ugly mounts anywhere.
It takes only a few seconds to fire up the second app (google maps + ktm) on the phone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:15 PM

But doesn't the MyRide navigation and the Google Maps directions differ frequently? Mine does (due to Google using traffic to optimize route, etc.) and it's annoying. I just use my phone since it's highly water resistant and I can see the map clearly - on a Ram X grip with wireless charging it's perfect.

Current rides
'19 KTM SD GT (white)
'15 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 Touring
'09 KTM 450 XC-W
'16 Yamaha Kodiak 700 SE
'73, '74 & '75 Honda ST 90's
'67 Hodaka Ace 100

Past rides
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic
'75 Kawasaki F7 175 silver
'72 Honda Z50 Mini Trail
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper1500 View Post
But doesn't the MyRide navigation and the Google Maps directions differ frequently? Mine does (due to Google using traffic to optimize route, etc.) and it's annoying. I just use my phone since it's highly water resistant and I can see the map clearly - on a Ram X grip with wireless charging it's perfect.
KTM Navigation is powered by Here, which is also a major nav / mapping company. Their routes, when online, also optimize for traffic, although their algorithms surely are different than google's.

My my experience, they are "mostly" dead on.
One thing to keep in mind is that the KTM Navigation app has the box for avoiding freeways checked by default. So, make sure to unchecked that when you start a route.

Give it a try for a week or so and see what you think.

The main reason why I like this setup is that, one, the dash is clean. And two, on long trips, the phone is nicely stowed in the left compartment and charging. Pretty sweet

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:53 PM
Mega Poster

My setup is all hard-wired and I monitor things by way of noise-cancelling earbuds. I can listen to music on the phone or Ipod (which is easier to control than the phone for volume etc), take a call, speak though the inline mic, or even hear a radar detector audio alert. One coil cord runs from the tankbag to my belt. Everything connects to a Belkin Rockstar splitter inside the bag. I currently have a dual-USB plugged into the stock lighter outlet for charging the phone and Ipod, but eventually want to relegate charging duties to the always-on front accessory lead under the gauge pod.

The noise-cancellers do a pretty fair job of cutting steady-state motor and wind noise. I always wore earplugs anyway, so these pull double-duty.

With a satin helmet-liner cap, the lid slides right over the buds with no discomfort. Keeps your helmet from getting ganky, too.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
My setup is all hard-wired and I monitor things by way of noise-cancelling earbuds. I can listen to music on the phone or Ipod (which is easier to control than the phone for volume etc), take a call, speak though the inline mic, or even hear a radar detector audio alert. One coil cord runs from the tankbag to my belt. Everything connects to a Belkin Rockstar splitter inside the bag. I currently have a dual-USB plugged into the stock lighter outlet for charging the phone and Ipod, but eventually want to relegate charging duties to the always-on front accessory lead under the gauge pod.

The noise-cancellers do a pretty fair job of cutting steady-state motor and wind noise. I always wore earplugs anyway, so these pull double-duty.

With a satin helmet-liner cap, the lid slides right over the buds with no discomfort. Keeps your helmet from getting ganky, too.
I did a similar setup for years. Used Etymotics in-ear buds. I once tried the Sena bluetooth thingie, and it was just magical. I never fiddled with wires again. The nice thing is that the Sena connects with the SDGT dash together with the phone. So, all controls reside on the handlebars, and feedback on the screen. Its so legit, I love it.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:33 PM
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldo_psf View Post
I did a similar setup for years. Used Etymotics in-ear buds. I once tried the Sena bluetooth thingie, and it was just magical. I never fiddled with wires again. The nice thing is that the Sena connects with the SDGT dash together with the phone. So, all controls reside on the handlebars, and feedback on the screen. Its so legit, I love it.
An observation and a question: I'm not sure, but I don't think the 1st-gen GT has bluetooth capability, although I know some com/sound systems do. My Q? is; without in-ear speakers, do you wear earplugs and crank up the volume to overcome wind/motor noise?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldo_psf View Post
An observation and a question: I'm not sure, but I don't think the 1st-gen GT has bluetooth capability, although I know some com/sound systems do. My Q? is; without in-ear speakers, do you wear earplugs and crank up the volume to overcome wind/motor noise?
I use a Sena and Pinlock filtered earplugs.

IMO, the Pinlocks are awesome.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pinlock-earplugs

They drastically cut wind/road noise. But you can still hear the Sena clearly.
Can also hear traffic noises you need to hear and even hold a conversation with them in while stopped.

I have the cheapest Sena. The earplugs reduce the heard volume but it actually gives it a better sound quality, not as shrilly.
I do have to crank my volume up all the way, which probably reduces battery life, but I can hear the music clearly up to about 85-90 mph (Shoei helmet). After that the I can hear the music as background noise, but the lyrics get a bit hard to distinguish.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:12 PM

I use a Ram mount with the rubber band thing for extra support with an IPhone 8 Plus.
I do mount it low in the mount, and it avoids interference with the windscreen.

I use Google maps for basic directions.
I use the REVER app for planned routes. I won’t give the app a wholehearted positive review. It does seem glitchy, gets confused with multiple waypoints sometimes wanting to take you back to a previous waypoint (maybe because it is closer on an alternate route than the next point - or maybe it is operator error/incompetence) so I may switch to a different app when my subscription is up.

The downside to cell based navigation is if you are in the back country and lose your signal. Google will keep going, just don’t reset your route or need to punch in a new route, cause you can’t until you have a signal.
Of course, I have T-mobile, so if I wasn't so cheap and got Verizon it probably wouldn’t be as much of an issue.
Sat-Nav shouldn’t have that issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1E464249-AD04-4050-964D-75495C1216A2_1562803825819.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	89416  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode