Looking for some Jetting help at 6000FT - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Looking for some Jetting help at 6000FT

So long story short, I bought a 2006 Ktm 950 SM last year, scary fast, previous owner installed a complete full Leo Vince exhaust system and Rottweiler intake system. I don't know if I'm just getting old, but its just to loud for me, I am in the process of installing the stock exhaust. Need some advice on re-jetting. I'm some what familiar with these carbs, I rebuilt them a few months ago.
I am running 165 main front carb, 168 main in the rear, looks like they added a washer for the needle. Any else I should replace, slow jet?

Any actual advice would be welcome. I might want to sell this Leo Vince system as well, what's a good asking price?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:13 AM
Full Throttle

Id fit new spark plugs and scotchbrite the new exhaust pipe exit.
Keep the same slow jet but checking pipe exit color

If it goes Overly black and fury then your definitely rich.tune down straight away.

I did a lot of playing and that dark shade or grey is a good sign that overall fueling is getting close.
Ive swaped out maps and jets and had some nice grey pipes in the past and overall the bike was good.ride and enjoy when your pipe is grey.

You will have to give the spark plug some time to show something.

2008 1190 RC8
2007 690 SM

racers toolbox thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

My old Leo Vince's had the black soot that was noticeable, wondering if I should have the Ktm shop look at it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:33 PM
Full Throttle

hmmm , dont stress on black but you can use that info to help you tune.
Wondering what @augiedoggie thinks of tail pipe inspections. Hes tune time far exceeds mine.

2008 1190 RC8
2007 690 SM

racers toolbox thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Donít trust the pipe

I like spark plug readings for tuning. Some tuners like the exhaust tip ring color for cruise speed setting, but motorcycle tuning speeds vary too much to put much trust in exhaust tip color. If you get a ghost white ring there you need to check for trouble. Those high altitude readings can be tricky. If she runs good and plug burns brown, no further action required. Watch and listen for detonation or ping. High altitude running with ethanol laced fuel is tricky because ethanol wants a richer tune and the absorbed moisture in the ethanol makes motor sound blubbery and rich but plug burn remains lean. You have to jet for plug color and you may find one cylinder likes a different jet number than other cylinder. Give it what it wants as if itís 2 separate motors. They donít have to share common jet number as long as your plug burns brown you are good to go.

A REAL MANS CREED
If it rolls, burns rubber, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gun powder, makes lots of noise, produces recoil or a
rooster tail----it's cool.
But if it uses a ball, a bat, racquet or club, or is played on a court or green by yuppies or liberals----it's a piece of
crap!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:56 PM

I suspect you'll find quite a bit of bark from the intake even with the stock exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode