Bought the bike yesterday, seized it today - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

2004 KTM 125 EXC import?

Ok so I am looking at buying a bike and its the 125 exc model. I guess it was imported into the US because I can't find much info on it. When I run the VIN I get some sites telling me its a 2004 KTM 200EXC and some say its the 125. Really weird. Plus when I got on Rockymountainatvmc.com, which is where I get most of my parts from, they don't have the bike as an option, only the 200exc. Does anyone have some info on this bike? I cannot find as much as a wiki page on it. Curious what countries it was sold in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 11:54 PM
DW
Dirt Wizard

Garage
Can you give me the frame number or at least the first 10 digits?

Dw "Day walker"
The Daywalker is a Ginger that does not burn in direct sunlight. Hated by true Gingers, the Daywalker can sustain extended periods in sunlight and even has traces of a soul. Because they are still part Ginger, freckles may or may not be present. daywalker definition by Urban Dictionary.Nov 27, 2014
post #3 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Vbkmxh2394m144095
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Went ahead and bought the bike. Looks like it had been sitting for a month but still rode well. Power valve needs adjusting and a carb clean couldn’t hurt.

Major reason I got this bike is because it’s street legal. Supermoto wheels would be sick but they so damn expensive
post #5 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Bought the bike yesterday, seized it today

2004 KTM 125 sx
I just bought this bike yesterday and the first time I run it under my ownership it dies. I went to get gas (93 from racetrak) 1 gallon of gas and 3 oz Lucas oil. That should be around a 45:1 mixture (within the manuals 40:1 - 60:1 recommendation). I rode to the pump so I put in the gas first then the oil then sloshed the bike around for a minute, which a couple different people I watch on YouTube do it and don’t have issue. Literally 2 minutes later riding down the road and the engine makes this awful sound then dies. I pulled over on the side of the road, where I sit now, and the kicker won’t turn at all.

Not sure where to go from here. Just spent all my money on this bike and now I’ve gotta year it appart and spend more money on it. If anyone knows of a good write up to help out with this process please let me know. My day just went from really good to really bad
post #6 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Throttle was really choppy in the top end. Maybe a result of a clogged jet?
post #7 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 02:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Hard luck or no luck?

Sorry for your troubles @Freggles thatís a tough break. I have seen this exact problem so many times and have had it happen to me as well. A lot of old school 2 stroke guys would scold you for the hillbilly method of fuel mixing but I would not be quick to blame your mixing method. I have seen that method used without any troubles you have here. I sounds like your motor had a hard failure and once youíre done being pissed off thereís nothing left but to see what broke in your motor and fix it. Once you have it repaired be sure to drain fuel tank just in case your previous fuel was suspect or possibly reacted(gelled) with new fuel. Some of the old school castor oils will gell when mixed with new tech oils. Better to drain fuel system and use drained fuel as weed killer.
Markk likes this.
post #8 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. I don’t think it was the method of fueling I used either but your gelling theory sounds like it could be right. Bike was running like sh!t right before so I think something clogged one or more of the jets.

I got the cylinder head off, which is a b!tch and a half to remove because of the weird sized bolts. Oddly enough they weren’t metric even though it’s was designed or assembled in the USA, but they were just barely too big for the 3/8 wrench. Still used it though, just needed a bit of persuasion. Now I can’t figure out the size of the cylinder bolts. If anyone knows that would be awesome.

Found out what needs to be fixed though. Looks like my piston melted because it’s got some edge bits missing. Found those stuck to the bottom of my head. So that’s just a new piston and rings right? How do I find out if it needs anything else? And how do I get out the little crumbly bits of piston that I’m sure fell down into my engine?

I really hope this isn’t too much of a headache to fix. Any advice on good budget rebuild parts (if they exist) would be golden as well as any other tips for a first rebuild. I’m very mechanically inclined (right word?) so it shouldn’t be too difficult if I can get the right size wrenches.
post #9 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about sending it off for an Eric gore big bore kit. Not sure yet though
post #10 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 04:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
off to a good start

well good for you for getting right after the problem. you may find your KTM has a few bastard size fasteners. those may use some oddball 7mm fasteners, but im not certain. just make sure your tools fit the fastener. it sounds like the top ring may have broken on piston as those pieces sticking into cylinder head are usually shards of hardened rings. i thought the cylinder nuts were 8mm stud nuts but anything is possible by now with a machine that age. 8mm should require a 13 or 12mm wrench for removal, but find something to fit fastener as you would not be the first to find non standard hardware on an older machine. take your time with disassembly and take lots of pictures for your reassembly reference. be sure to drain coolant firstnothing worse than working in a puddle of radiator piss you may find some xc200 stuff may interchange on to your motor, but lets take one problem at a time. lets have a look at the damage and form a plan to fix er up. be sure to post up detailed pictures for forum study from some of our other forum mates here. best of luck my friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode