KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'07 990 Superduke
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to the 1290 SD... is this a thing? So this has happens to me twice, I start the bike in neutral and let it run and warm up while I put jacket, helmet gloves etc... on. I forget my wallet or something and let the bike continue to run in neutral while I go and get it ... or my wife calls right before I hop on the bike and wants to talk. Anyway, the bike shuts off on its own. No issue restarting, no problems, runs like a dream. Is the auto shut off in neutral after running a while a thing?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Mine does that from time to time for no apparent reason. Was good for the first 110,000km, so I wouldn't call it a thing?

·
Registered
'07 990 Superduke
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya I’m not worried enough about it to start an exhaustive trouble shoot on anything especially that long list :) It happened twice. I just chalked it up to a big lumbering v-twin hiccups now and then. It’s never given me an issue while riding or at a stop light or any thing that would make me not trust riding it. Just odd that it happened twice and never again. Thought I’d tap into the collective wisdom/experience.

·
Registered
'07 990 Superduke
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So after trailering the bike home after a dead start button after refueling at a gas station i discovered that the battery cables were loose. I believe this explains the issue and hopefully tightening them up will solve it. ::: crossing fingers:::

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can't speak for everyone, but these bikes aren't the smoothest idling bikes and they do stall from time to time. Slightly more common when it is cold out, but it can happen at any time. A small price to pay for the massive cam lobes.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Loose ground cables have been discovered more than a few times. My ground post bolt was snug but not tight. It is now.

Early 1290 SD ECU's are rumored to be more adaptable to modification. I read the learning mode is the 15 minutes at idle with input from the crank position sensor, the throttle position sensor, the mass air sensor and the O2 sensors on the exhaust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts