KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everybody.

My name's John, I'm new here. I searched google for a forum to ask a question and this one seemed like the best for KTM at a glance!

My local KTM dealership went out of business, and there isn't one for quite some distance around my home. Of course this happens about a week prior to my rear caliper locking up, or at least as I found it locked up after not riding for a couple months.

The brakes (front and back) were in dire need of being bled, and the fronts worked out just fine, but the rear seems to be locked in an open position.

I tried bleeding it, but no compression is gained by any means, and the caliper is locked open. I don't get it? Am I missing something with this bike that is different from its Japanese competitors that I have always ridden before?

If my piston is seized, is there anywhere to find new rear calipers for less than $400? I need one soon as I hope to get it out of the garage to ride before it throws another tantrum at me! :eek:

Any help is much appreciated!

John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Brakes

Try to back bleed the brake system use a Large syringe and rubber hose push brake fluid from the rear brake bleeder at the caliber up in to the brake reseivor it messy but it works.

If not pull the brake caliber off the bike us some thin metal or somethink like in inbetween the brake pads use compressed aair to blow out the pistons out of the caliber the check out the bore of the caliber se if there ok if so check the piston for the same if the piston are bad you should be able just to but a rebiult kit for them.

To install the new rubber o-ring seals and piston in the caliber body use some brake fluid to lube up the rubber o-ring as you install it back in to the caliber body use a thin sheet of semi hard plastic wrap it around the NEW piston in to a semi cone shape extending past the bottom of the piston so when you install it to the caliber body small end first slide the piston in to the caliber in till it bottoms out pull the plastic sheet out so you do not cut or tear the new rubber seal ring reinstall the brake pads put it back on the bike back bleed it yo should have great brake then.

OR go to Flee bay and take a chance you have purchased a good used Caliber.

I purchased a lot off flee bay my self but if I can rebuild my old one and I know I have a good one now insteed of taking a chance of getting anouther bad one I do the rebuild my self.

Are you sure it's not the rear mater brake cyinder not bad is it giving you pressure flow and pressure is diffrent you can have flow with out beening able to build pressure.
You can rebuild the brake cyinder also basicly the same way but make sure the rubber cones are put in the correct direction.

Hey there everybody.

My name's John, I'm new here. I searched google for a forum to ask a question and this one seemed like the best for KTM at a glance!

My local KTM dealership went out of business, and there isn't one for quite some distance around my home. Of course this happens about a week prior to my rear caliper locking up, or at least as I found it locked up after not riding for a couple months.

The brakes (front and back) were in dire need of being bled, and the fronts worked out just fine, but the rear seems to be locked in an open position.

I tried bleeding it, but no compression is gained by any means, and the caliper is locked open. I don't get it? Am I missing something with this bike that is different from its Japanese competitors that I have always ridden before?

If my piston is seized, is there anywhere to find new rear calipers for less than $400? I need one soon as I hope to get it out of the garage to ride before it throws another tantrum at me! :eek:

Any help is much appreciated!

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try to back bleed the brake system use a Large syringe and rubber hose push brake fluid from the rear brake bleeder at the caliber up in to the brake reseivor it messy but it works.

If not pull the brake caliber off the bike us some thin metal or somethink like in inbetween the brake pads use compressed aair to blow out the pistons out of the caliber the check out the bore of the caliber se if there ok if so check the piston for the same if the piston are bad you should be able just to but a rebiult kit for them.

To install the new rubber o-ring seals and piston in the caliber body use some brake fluid to lube up the rubber o-ring as you install it back in to the caliber body use a thin sheet of semi hard plastic wrap it around the NEW piston in to a semi cone shape extending past the bottom of the piston so when you install it to the caliber body small end first slide the piston in to the caliber in till it bottoms out pull the plastic sheet out so you do not cut or tear the new rubber seal ring reinstall the brake pads put it back on the bike back bleed it yo should have great brake then.

OR go to Flee bay and take a chance you have purchased a good used Caliber.

I purchased a lot off flee bay my self but if I can rebuild my old one and I know I have a good one now insteed of taking a chance of getting anouther bad one I do the rebuild my self.

Are you sure it's not the rear mater brake cyinder not bad is it giving you pressure flow and pressure is diffrent you can have flow with out beening able to build pressure.
You can rebuild the brake cyinder also basicly the same way but make sure the rubber cones are put in the correct direction.
Okay thanks, I really appreciate that info.

I will give everything you said a shot this upcoming weekend.

If I do decide to go with a new rear caliper, say this thing is toast, I've been looking around on ebay and part bikes on craigslist, and would 300exc, 450sx, and older 525 calipers fit my 06? I'm fairly sure the calipers would mount up, but just before I go and spend 30-60 bucks depending...

I'm in a rush so I can make a camping trip to Cal City in a couple weeks, from the looks of your avatar info you would understand! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts

If I was you I would go to a online KTM parts web site and cross refence brake caliber part numbers of diffrent models and see what uses the same part numbers I think most of the full size ktm's newer bike use the same rear brake caliber.

I ride a 560SMR my self converted to full dirt most of the parts have the same part numbers as you'er bike.

Just stayaway from behide the HONDA test trake the dry lake bed is not so dry once you break though the dry pie crust top soil it took 2 days 2000 feet of rope 2 stuck trucks to get my bike back out of there Not fun it was middle of summer and 104 degrees It was a very bad weekend.

Okay thanks, I really appreciate that info.

I will give everything you said a shot this upcoming weekend.

If I do decide to go with a new rear caliper, say this thing is toast, I've been looking around on ebay and part bikes on craigslist, and would 300exc, 450sx, and older 525 calipers fit my 06? I'm fairly sure the calipers would mount up, but just before I go and spend 30-60 bucks depending...

I'm in a rush so I can make a camping trip to Cal City in a couple weeks, from the looks of your avatar info you would understand! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Front brake issues

This spot is about the only place I can find to ask some front brake questions and I'll try the reverse bleed trick.

I'm trying to figure out what going on with my front brake on a 2006 525 xc. I've replaced the piston in the hand brake, but I can't seem to get it to charge up. There is nothing there. Everything looks clear and the line looks good. I suspect the "Anti-foam" disc might be inhibiting flow to the cylinder, but I took it out and cleaned it. (Is there and orientation here?). Today, I'll pull the line and work my way down to the calipers.. or up to the cylinder. Any suggestions?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts