KTM Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys here's what's going on with my bike. When I first got it it wasn't turning over with Estart however with kick start it was fine. Cool no biggie. I bought a battery and replaced it. Hey it started with estart. The headlight wouldn't turn on though. The bike came with a Baja Designs aftermarket headlight however the owner included the OEM one. So I switched the headlights and fired her up. Womp it turned on then when I reved the engine boom headlight went really bright then stopped working. Then when that stopped working I turned my bike it. E start wouldn't start again. I thought maybe I could replace the wiring harnesses and it would be fine. I got a used harness it was it kinda ratty shape. Hooked it up Still nothing. The previous owner has a Baja Designs DC converter I think it's suppose to put out higher watts for the after market headlight anyway. I'm stumped here I really don't know what to do. Should I get brand new harnesses and reconnect everything again? Any suggestions. I'm a noob so I won't be able to wire anything. looking for a easy plug and play route. Thanks.

·
Dirt Wizard
3,728 Posts
If it's a dc conversion kit, has it come with the proper regulator/rectifier for it?
Dc conversions replace the original stator and have to run the correct regulator/rectifier.
If you haven't got the original stator you may have to persist with the Baja one.
They were a sponsor of this forum at one stage, may still be, I am not sure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's a dc conversion kit, has it come with the proper regulator/rectifier for it?
Dc conversions replace the original stator and have to run the correct regulator/rectifier.
If you haven't got the original stator you may have to persist with the Baja one.
They were a sponsor of this forum at one stage, may still be, I am not sure.

yes it came with both of those. The regulator and rectifier. Also the Baja stator

·
Dirt Wizard
3,728 Posts
Shouldn't be over charging with the baja regulator and stator then, unless they're stuffed. Have you had a volt/multi meter on the battery to see what voltage the reg is feeding into it?
You may need to run all electrics off the battery (like a road bike) rather than some straight off the reg and have the reg just charging the battery. Especially if you have that ignition key, then you can isolate the electrics while the bike isn't running.
Maybe get a hold of baja and see if they have a wiring diagram on how they recommend to wire it.

·
Dirt Wizard
3,728 Posts
Sorry, didn't read original post properly. You mentioned you wouldn't be able to wire anything up.
You might need to get someone to have a look at it.
It's probably been hooked up all a-se about to start with.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shouldn't be over charging with the baja regulator and stator then, unless they're stuffed. Have you had a volt/multi meter on the battery to see what voltage the reg is feeding into it?
You may need to run all electrics off the battery (like a road bike) rather than some straight off the reg and have the reg just charging the battery. Especially if you have that ignition key, then you can isolate the electrics while the bike isn't running.
Maybe get a hold of baja and see if they have a wiring diagram on how they recommend to wire it.

How do I do that ?

·
Dirt Wizard
3,728 Posts
A bit of work to do it if you're not good with wiring.
Maybe we are best checking if the bike has been wired correctly to the dc conversion and working with what you have already.
I gather the dc stator is in at the moment and the dc reg?
If you want to change it back to the original ktm wiring setup you will need the ac stator and reg at least.
I haven't done a baja dc conversion, but I have fitted a few trail tech ones. I would assume they're the same.
Most the modification is done where the old reg plugs into the harness.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now now there's something else wrong with my bike. Last night I drove it to my girlfriends house about a 15 minute drive. She was running fun but she shut off a couple times. No Biggie I kicked her over and made it. Now this morning has been hell. I woke up at 9am and I've been trying to get her started since. I don't understand could I have maybe plugged something in backwards ? It was running last night. My shim kit just came in should I give her a valve adjustment? I'm trying my hardest to avoid going to the dealer because I don't have a truck and nearest dealer from me is an hour. Also I on Saturday I got a used wiring harness and put it on. Should I go back to the old one?

·
Dirt Wizard
3,728 Posts
Really hard to say without the bike in front of me.
First thing is to determine why it's not starting. Fuel air or spark.
I suppose if you undo what you have done it may work, but I would be finding out which element it is missing.
Valves could be an issue, but the bike would've been a pig to start hot after it stopped. Should be easier to start cold if the valves were too tight.

Hopefully you haven't fried an ignition component swapping harnesses over ect.
Check your earths. It could be something coincidental like bad fuel or water in the fuel ect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really hard to say without the bike in front of me.
First thing is to determine why it's not starting. Fuel air or spark.
I suppose if you undo what you have done it may work, but I would be finding out which element it is missing.
Valves could be an issue, but the bike would've been a pig to start hot after it stopped. Should be easier to start cold if the valves were too tight.

Hopefully you haven't fried an ignition component swapping harnesses over ect.
Check your earths. It could be something coincidental like bad fuel or water in the fuel ect.

I have spark and fuel. It sounds like it wants to kick over then doesn't. I put on the old harness last night still nothing. I'm completely stumped lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe I figured out why my bike is not starting. I'll try to explain in detail. Please understand I may not say everything right I am still a noob. Also to respond to all your questions as to why I don't got to a shop or a mechanic. 1 I am a broke college student and 2 I enjoy working on motorcycles. So if it takes me a month or a year to figure something out so be it because I'll just gain knowledge. Anyway so here's why I think my bike won't turn on and if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Today I took the valve cover off of my 08 450 exc-r. This was my first time taking the valve cover off on this KTM I bought it less than a month ago. Anyway I took the valve cover off so I can adjust the valves (or shims) because my shim kit came in today. Upon taking off the valve cover I noticed a huge red flag. On the exhaust side of the valves clutch side. There is supposed to be 2 long black bolts and on the brake side there's 2 silver bolts of course you undo these to loosen the rocker arms and remove the rocker shaft so you can adjust the shims. Anyway I noticed noticed on the clutch side where there's supposed to be 2 of the Long black bolts I only had one on the exhaust side and the other bolt was some cheap Home Depot bolt that was maybe an inch. I knew it wasn't the right bolt. I have a spare engine for my bike that I like taking apart and putting back together just to understand how things work. So at first I didn't pay any mind to it. I used my feeler gauge and checked the intake shims first. Everything was in spec. Great. I then tried the exhaust side. None of my feeler gauges could get threw at any size. I then thought well maybe its out of spec let me remove the rocker arm then remove the rocker shaft. If anyone else has worked on ktm engines with shims you know the shaft is supposed to come out pretty easily. I did everything right TDC, Special tool so it can stay locked in tdc. I was there for 3 hours trying to pull the exhaust rocker shaft out and nothing it wouldn't budge. The intake shaft came out pretty easily and on my spare engine both shafts came out like easily as well. So my questions is to you guys. What can I do ? Is there anyway I can just replace my head with my other engines head by bolting it on ? The spare engine has everything on it its not in pieces. Or should I keep trying to take the exhaust rocker shaft out? Is there any reason why this is happening? Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
2 Participants
joshb973
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing