KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 08 ktm xcw no spark replaced stator still no spark have 126 volts from cdi to coil coil testing was good cap good what else needs to be checked also pulser pick up good

·
Dirt Wizard
4,342 Posts
Have you bypassed all kill switches?

·
Super Moderator
1,757 Posts
I assume you have also fitted new spark plug?

Check all connectors and earthing.

Do you have same problem when kicking and also when trying to push start bike?

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
Are you testing spark while kicking or cranking with electric starter? If you test for spark while operating estart and find no spark, be sure to re test while kicking. Could be a simple solution if this is your test result. Report back with results and we will proceed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same problem new plug, stator unplugged kill switch im getting 126 volts from cdi box when i push starter button in and out quick ill get a burst off spark then nothing

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know how much voltage from cdi to coil input exiter voltage from stator

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
Same problem new plug, stator unplugged kill switch im getting 126 volts from cdi box when i push starter button in and out quick ill get a burst off spark then nothing
Re read my previous post.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tested new stator values are border line bad at 65 degrees in shop i guess it possible i got s bad stator I was getting more voltage with oem bad stator than the new one by 15 to voltage

·
Super Moderator
1,757 Posts
As I indicated and @augiedoggie also asked: How are you testing if you are getting spark? These bikes have a tendency to not start by pressing start button (no spark). If you have spark when you use the kick start and bike starts by using kick start and by push starting (find a nice hill and try to start bike down that one by jump on, start rolling down hill and put bike in 2'nd gear, release clutch and see what happens). If you can get the bike to start from kicking/push starting then there is a simple way to start the bike with using the start button... come back and tell us if bike started from kicking/push starting!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Test for spark with kickstarter and elec start with plug removed to speed rpm of engine grounded spark plug to head bolt with 3 different plugs no spark

·
Super Moderator
1,757 Posts
Tried all three with no spark
Many owners of these bikes have found that only way to get tem to start with starter motor is by tapping the kill switch quickly while pressing start button (remember to re-connect the kill switch first)

·
Dirt Wizard
4,342 Posts
Does anyone know how much voltage from cdi to coil input exiter voltage from stator
Are you testing with back yard test equipment like a multimeter/volt meter?
This stuff usually has to be bench tested.
How did you test the coil? Did you just do primary and secondary resistance?
If you have a peak voltage adapter for a multimeter you can check the primary coil voltage and that should be in between 150-200v.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've noticed that if i oscillate start switch quickly bump it ill get a spark occasionally

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Multi meter using ktm specs for coil primary and secondary yes i have peak power adapter im getting 130 volts from cdi to coil blu/whi wire

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also just found new stator is .1 from being out of spec on exiter/ignition im thinking that maybe that's why my voltage is off at coil

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
You're making progress. Tickling kill switch simulates trigger causing spark. If trigger wiring is ok you likely have defective CDI. I think your trigger is integrated into stator. You claim no spark with previous stator and coil secondary fires plug which proves ability to fire secondary. I'm fairly confident CDI is culprit. Post part number on module here on forum if possible. Will try to help

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New stator is now failing ohm test after i got my shop up to 70 degrees went from 17.9 ohms to 18.3 exiter circut i also done some digging into factory stator found broken wire on exiter coil also pulsar pickup is separate from stator not built into stator itself it tested 100.1 ohm s

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Could stator still be not sending proper voltage to cdi since stator is over the high end of spec also spec for the after market rm stator 15 ohm+or-20%
You're making progress. Tickling kill switch simulates trigger causing spark. If trigger wiring is ok you likely have defective CDI. I think your trigger is integrated into stator. You claim no spark with previous stator and coil secondary fires plug which proves ability to fire secondary. I'm fairly confident CDI is culprit. Post part number on module here on forum if possible. Will try to help

1 - 20 of 76 Posts