KTM Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I also looked at the install instructions for the Dirt Trix tensioner. It looks like there's no resetting procedure to muck up the valve clearance check/change such as with stock tensioners. It is, however, still a spring-loaded hydraulic device. I am interested in Gearhead's thoughts after installing them.

·
Full Throttle
5,555 Posts
I was gonna do a manual tensioner but on the rc8 i need to remove lower air box for a proper setting.
Im far from stupid , ive been using the manual tensioner on the 690 and over tightening is an issue as much as not enough..
thats why the dirt tricks was the choice, the finer ratchet means a gradual setting increase, and the way they work is that once the small spring is introduced into the centre , the ratchet cannot be pushed backwards but can only be driven forward by oil and spring.

so it is different from the stock type which can be driven backwards by force.

stock ones work perfectly until something happens
maybe a few thousand km in and out of a returnable ratchet tooth can cause a problem on some stock cct
the dirt trick just sits in the one way ratchet until its ready to sit in the next tooth.
remove the spring allows the ratchet to unfold and you can push the cct back to its mini size without 1 tooth hitting.

remember to pump the oil into the rear cct before the small cap.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I prefer the manual type. Correctly set, they are just tight enough to stop the rattle and and subsequent looseness and rattle can be taken care of in a minute. The main thing is, though, just pulling it out and putting it back in when he cams are removed for shim changes. No setting and striking.

·
Full Throttle
5,555 Posts
rattle and and subsequent looseness and rattle can be taken care of in a minute.
thats the problem with the v2 , you cant run motor until all your gear is back on top and to fine tune take it all off.
but i bet you will set it by feel while you have access to the chain
but then its a new combo so you will probably fine tune again.
ive done it hammy(y)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
thats the problem with the v2 , you cant run motor until all your gear is back on top and to fine tune take it all off.
but i bet you will set it by feel while you have access to the chain
but then its a new combo so you will probably fine tune again.
ive done it hammy(y)
What I would likely do is to install and set the manual tensioners before maintenance and then just check after re-install following cam removal/reinstall, shims etc. No reason anything should change much.

·
Full Throttle
5,555 Posts
What I would likely do is to install and set the manual tensioners before maintenance and then just check after re-install following cam removal/reinstall, shims etc. No reason anything should change much.
I know if the motor is locked at tdc and both cams were off, when setting the cam timing , a rubber dowel pushed in the cct hole to take the slack while you check the cam marks would be nice, the manual cct just snug would be nice as you said.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts