KTM Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The screen on my bike seems very sloppy, is this normal? If so are there any fixes? Most of the movement seems to be from the fixing arms ......

·
Super Moderator
860 Posts
There is certainly some flex in the screen on my 2017 SDGT. More so than in a fixed to the fairing style of screen, but no untoward in my opinion. I now have 42,000 kms and haven't had an issue. It doesn't move while you are riding, hasn't cracked, but I do notice the movement when washing it. I wonder whether the movement is there to help absorb vibrations?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The windshield and mounts feel to me a bit crude and wobblyish but in use I never noticed. I forgive KTM any wobbles because, overall, the windshield and mounts seem to be engineered for lightness.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The 16-18 series had a lightweight design for the screen height adjuster..... it never wobbled with the oem screen for which it was designed (incl the KTM tinted option)...... but ...... some of the guys have fitted barn door type screens with large deflectors on top, and have reported some movement at high speeds, but no cracks or breakages.

I have one of those barn door screens (the Puig Touring) but with a small sport deflector and it wiggles slightly but doesn't have a lot of weight up high so doesn't wobble around at middle or lower settings..... i don't need the full height setting for my stature, although I would use it when in freezing/rainy weather.

The 2019 model gets the all new much stronger/easier to adjust re-designed frame for a completely new screen shape, so the only complaints there are that owners aren't able to source any taller screens as accessory makers haven't tooled up to produce any (yet).

I too was concerned about how much weight my 17GT screen frame could handle, but I have been running my Puig Touring screen for more than a year and around 10k kms or more and nothing has broken or cracked. The oem screen was pretty good for my height but I wanted a tinted screen and KTM's price was about the same as the Puig so I went with the longer screen.

It just wiggles a bit in turbulence behind trucks or in cross winds...... nothing to be worried about ;).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Overtightening will cause the OEM screen to break around the mounting holes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
jfink
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing