KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The screen on my bike seems very sloppy, is this normal? If so are there any fixes? Most of the movement seems to be from the fixing arms ......

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
There is certainly some flex in the screen on my 2017 SDGT. More so than in a fixed to the fairing style of screen, but no untoward in my opinion. I now have 42,000 kms and haven't had an issue. It doesn't move while you are riding, hasn't cracked, but I do notice the movement when washing it. I wonder whether the movement is there to help absorb vibrations?

·
Registered
163 Posts
The windshield and mounts feel to me a bit crude and wobblyish but in use I never noticed. I forgive KTM any wobbles because, overall, the windshield and mounts seem to be engineered for lightness.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
The 16-18 series had a lightweight design for the screen height adjuster..... it never wobbled with the oem screen for which it was designed (incl the KTM tinted option)...... but ...... some of the guys have fitted barn door type screens with large deflectors on top, and have reported some movement at high speeds, but no cracks or breakages.

I have one of those barn door screens (the Puig Touring) but with a small sport deflector and it wiggles slightly but doesn't have a lot of weight up high so doesn't wobble around at middle or lower settings..... i don't need the full height setting for my stature, although I would use it when in freezing/rainy weather.

The 2019 model gets the all new much stronger/easier to adjust re-designed frame for a completely new screen shape, so the only complaints there are that owners aren't able to source any taller screens as accessory makers haven't tooled up to produce any (yet).

I too was concerned about how much weight my 17GT screen frame could handle, but I have been running my Puig Touring screen for more than a year and around 10k kms or more and nothing has broken or cracked. The oem screen was pretty good for my height but I wanted a tinted screen and KTM's price was about the same as the Puig so I went with the longer screen.

It just wiggles a bit in turbulence behind trucks or in cross winds...... nothing to be worried about ;).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Overtightening will cause the OEM screen to break around the mounting holes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've recently been noticing a (stay with me here) second (maybe third) order harmonic vibration in the screen/dash assembly at highway speeds. Started before the ECU update but wasn't there when new. Happens in 5th or 6th and seems to track engine speed more than wind force. I'm not sure if I'm describing it correctly, but it's a vibration that cycles every 1-2 seconds, so definitely not a first order engine vibration simply making its way through.

It's a bit concerning to see your gauges do the wiggle, stabilize, then do again (at above noted period)-- makes me worried about long-term fatigue in the materials. Anyone else have/seen this?

Bike's been stellar- esp after the software updates!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've recently been noticing a (stay with me here) second (maybe third) order harmonic vibration in the screen/dash assembly at highway speeds. Started before the ECU update but wasn't there when new. Happens in 5th or 6th and seems to track engine speed more than wind force. I'm not sure if I'm describing it correctly, but it's a vibration that cycles every 1-2 seconds, so definitely not a first order engine vibration simply making its way through.

It's a bit concerning to see your gauges do the wiggle, stabilize, then do again (at above noted period)-- makes me worried about long-term fatigue in the materials. Anyone else have/seen this?

Bike's been stellar- esp after the software updates!
I noticed something like that at idle. I was sitting at a traffic light waiting and noticed the mirrors were clear and then blurred similar to the pattern you described.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Sitting on a large commercial aircraft on the aisle seat near the back. Sighting along the seats in front you will note the twist and flex of the entire airplane during turbulence. Same principle applies to your screen here ... too rigid and it breaks. We had a KZ1000 exhaust muffler bracket continually break from vibration or frame flex .... it was so bad it couldn't finish a race so we made it ever bigger and thicker with no luck. An engineer we knew made a bracket with 2 cutouts that looked like a big bite taken out ... we laughed at the small gauge metal he used too. Worked like a charm and we never had a problem again ... It's probably still in use today!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Cheers @vinjah ...... just back from 3000kms racing..... errrr gentlemanly touring in the next state closer to the south pole than my sunny hot state of Queensland.... Aubloodystraylia :LOL:...... the whole bike shakes at times.... the rh mirror fuzzes but the left is ok, or the bars are smooth, then they are vibey...... but the dash remains clear at all times and all revs (well, at least when I'm looking..... you get my drift...... once the rpm's are heading to 9/10k i'm eyes forward only o_O).

Check that the dash is not overtight or loose..... should be firm but flexible. Are there any broken bits on the mount? Are your bars clamped properly? Does your SD need a tune up/synchro? How stiff is your suspension?

5th and 6th gear?..... does your chain have a tight-loose spot causing a phased vibe at speed and under load? How do your tyres look? Are they badly worn.... might have a flat spot causing a vibe?

A 75 deg motor will never be as smooth as a 90deg, but the SD donk shouldn't be a hand number either - mines quite good.... though it used to send my right wrist to sleep until I rotated the handle bars up a tiny bit to reduce the angle on my wrists. I have no bar end weights (had to lose them to fit the handguards) so you'd think my GT would be the worst for vibes..... but it isn't. I have the 19ECU software installed and now ride mostly in comfort damping but use spring 2 with luggage - sometimes I slip it into street damping for aggressive corners and I have changed the sprockets to reduce the labouring effect on the engine at legal speeds. tyres 34-5F 36-8R for comparo.

(y)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I don't think the stock screen mount on the '16-'18 SDGT was ever intended for the large screens many of us are bolting up. Hopefully the '19 and up models are better up to the task because the stock screen doesn't offer much protection for hours of 80-90 mph blasting. Side winds from 18-wheelers and flat-backed SUVs and vans make mine flop about quite a bit. My Cal-Sci tall developed a crack from one of he bolt holes, but so far so good with the National Cycle ST. With no other traffic around, it's quite stable into the triple digits.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Overtightening will cause the OEM screen to break around the mounting holes.
Cheers Jfink..... the oem KTM screen has special screws with a machined (can't think of the right word....) unthreaded section... even so, I managed to put some cracks into my oem screen holes..... I thought I might not have had the screws centered correctly as they will sometimes catch on the edge of the hole when threading them in. Just nip them tight using a drop of Permatex medium/Loctite :).

The 19 GT gets a strong & solid screen mount and adjuster system..... there will be no issues with taller screens wiggling that mount...... I see posts advising Puig have a screen for the 19's out now. There may be others out soon too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The 16-18 series had a lightweight design for the screen height adjuster..... it never wobbled with the oem screen for which it was designed (incl the KTM tinted option)...... but ...... some of the guys have fitted barn door type screens with large deflectors on top, and have reported some movement at high speeds, but no cracks or breakages.

I have one of those barn door screens (the Puig Touring) but with a small sport deflector and it wiggles slightly but doesn't have a lot of weight up high so doesn't wobble around at middle or lower settings..... i don't need the full height setting for my stature, although I would use it when in freezing/rainy weather.

The 2019 model gets the all new much stronger/easier to adjust re-designed frame for a completely new screen shape, so the only complaints there are that owners aren't able to source any taller screens as accessory makers haven't tooled up to produce any (yet).

I too was concerned about how much weight my 17GT screen frame could handle, but I have been running my Puig Touring screen for more than a year and around 10k kms or more and nothing has broken or cracked. The oem screen was pretty good for my height but I wanted a tinted screen and KTM's price was about the same as the Puig so I went with the longer screen.

It just wiggles a bit in turbulence behind trucks or in cross winds...... nothing to be worried about ;).

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
:LOL:..... yes, and I cracked my Puig Touring when I didn't notice that I overtightened the mounting screws against rubber grommets until a week later....... I just live with the cracks...... I have reinforced them and loose fitted the screen so they seem to be stable (haven't grown longer) - I asked a local screen maker if there was a way of injecting some glue but he said I'd have to replace it if it got worse/broke and showed me how the glue just runs off instead of seeping into the cracks.

Live and learn........ and don't overtighten screws on screens (or junk the rubber washers and use plastic ones instead) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
54 Posts
:LOL:..... yes, and I cracked my Puig Touring when I didn't notice that I overtightened the mounting screws against rubber grommets until a week later....... I just live with the cracks...... I have reinforced them and loose fitted the screen so they seem to be stable (haven't grown longer) - I asked a local screen maker if there was a way of injecting some glue but he said I'd have to replace it if it got worse/broke and showed me how the glue just runs off instead of seeping into the cracks.

Live and learn........ and don't overtighten screws on screens (or junk the rubber washers and use plastic ones instead) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
54 Posts
CalSci uses hard plastic spacers that do not allow you to overtighten the bolts. It really is a well thought out mounting system that bolts right up to the stock plate. Since I look over the windshield, my is completely tinted and up against the black bike, it looks awesome.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
CalSci uses hard plastic spacers that do not allow you to overtighten the bolts. It really is a well thought out mounting system that bolts right up to the stock plate. Since I look over the windshield, my is completely tinted and up against the black bike, it looks awesome.
I liked mine, too. It didn't crack from overtightening, it cracked from too much movement on the spindly stock mount. I replaced it with a National Cycle ST, which is not as tall.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts