KTM Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19' 1290 SAS
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I'm getting ready to mount my Garmin Zumo on my 18' 1290 SAS, probably next week with the air filter change/tank pull to do the hardwiring.

I did get the Touratech locking case as well in a duo package before Xmas, as down here, perhaps everywhere - daylight discount bike/auto supply "pick and pull" is rampant.

It looks like on the 18' SAS I'm going to be stuck using the center of the bars on a RAM ball as the screen on the SAS is pretty flimsy so it's gonna move a lot if I put it above the info screen.

Would be interested to see pictures of how others have done the mounting.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hi folks, I'm getting ready to mount my Garmin Zumo on my 18' 1290 SAS, probably next week with the air filter change/tank pull to do the hardwiring.

I did get the Touratech locking case as well in a duo package before Xmas, as down here, perhaps everywhere - daylight discount bike/auto supply "pick and pull" is rampant.

It looks like on the 18' SAS I'm going to be stuck using the center of the bars on a RAM ball as the screen on the SAS is pretty flimsy so it's gonna move a lot if I put it above the info screen.

I was going to put a mount above the TFT screen but when I saw how relatively thin the mounts that hold that whole headlight assembly onto the steering head actually are, I decided to keep weight off of that part and mount it with a simple ram ball replacing one of the handlebar mount bolts ( there is a Ram kit for that). Attached is a picture of the mount . It is easy to see and out of the way of the TFT. It doesn't vibrate and I've had it like that for about 7500 miles. I have the same setup on my Superduke GT and its worked just as well there for 2 seasons (pic attached too)

I was going to put a mount above the TFT screen but when I saw how relatively thin the mounts that hold that whole headlight assembly onto the steering head actually are, I decided to keep weight off of that part and mount it with a simple ram ball replacing one of the handlebar mount bolts ( there is a Ram kit for that). Attached is a picture of the mount . It is easy to see and out of the way of the TFT. It doesn't vibrate and I've had it like that for about 7500 miles. I have the same setup on my Superduke GT and its worked just as well there for 2 seasons (pic attached too)

Reactions: matt fe2o3

·
Registered
2018 1290 SAR
123 Posts
I used a mount from Aliexpress on my '18 1290 SAR, and plugged into the switched available accessory output that was hiding behind the headlight.

·
Registered
19' 1290 SAS
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used a mount from Aliexpress on my '18 1290 SAR, and plugged into the switched available accessory output that was hiding behind the headlight.

View attachment 106165
How much movement do you get?

Any issues with that setup off road?

That is the sensible position for it, however I’ve been concerned about movement/vibration making it unusable to the eye when riding on not flat smooth terrains.

·
Registered
2018 1290 SAR
123 Posts
I have not noticed any movement on the road. I don't take it off-road too much, and when I have, I've been too concerned about falling over to keep a watch on the GPS to be honest.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Really happy with my setup on the 2022 SAS but it's a different approach. Here is what I am using:
First of all after many years for Garmins and TomToms I finally switched to an iPhone App called Scenic. I tried Rever and CaliMoto but did not like their guidance or handling - especially with gloves. Have been Using Scenic for a bit over a year and some 30k miles on multiple bikes. If you want to know more about the app let me know.
Given the app usage, I needed a good phone mount to be able to see the GPS/Nav info front and center. Have been using RAM mounts for several years, but recently felt other solutions could be better choices. So with the arrival of the 2022 SAS I got myself the KTM GPS mount that goes above the TFT display, took a 4 whole Quadlock base, with vibration damper and wireless charger, and am now putting my 13 Pro Max onto that setup. The dampener is doing a great job keeping the phone steady and the brightness of the iPhone 13 Pro Max seems second to none of the displays I have ever had. Just rode Alcoholic Pass in Anza Borrego (gravel/sand) and some trails near 29 Palms with deep sand. Vibrations are well handled and I can clearly see the screen when I am standing up on the bike.
After 2000 miles on roads and desert gravel and sand I could not be happier:

I have also added a secondary mount to the center of the handlebars where I can snap in an iPad Mini if I need more detailed maps (also using Scenic for that but with different settings.

The iPad mini is great for large maps and overviews but its brightness is not as good as the iPhone.
Both support satellite and hybrid views as long as there is a cell network. The maps as shown are preinstalled/downloaded and will work always no cell service required.
The yellow and green markers are custom POIs I installed - in this case, all known mountain passes of a particular region. Green roads are all those I have ridden in the past year. It's optional to display any of that info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts