KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1290 Superduke R '17
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi dear all,
cold start then 5-6 mins idle. this is the situation of the rear cylinder header. (fully stock) it is only 2600 kilometers. btw the photo was taken in a bit darker space.

I've heard something about idle reset from facebook groups. they didn't faced this state even when they are idle resetting (leave the bike idle in 15 mins for doing that)

what do you think?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I think I would check the rear cylinder exhaust valve clearances to make sure both valves are fully seating and not firing hot exhaust straight out the pipe.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yes, welcome to the future of ever further strangled engines, courtesy of the EU with their ever tightening emissions regulations. The Superdukes are Euro 4/5 compliant, which means they run lean (this is what turns your headers as hot as they are in that picture) and runs far from ideal for engine performance and longevity.

The idle reset you mentioned probably involves removing the cat box, then running it idle for 15 minutes to allow the ECU to reset itself and adjust to the new exhaust situation. If you then chuck a servo eliminator at it combined with fueling dongles, the engine runs a lot cooler down low in the revs. These changes will positively impact the power delivery too.

In other words, when you remove all the emissions crap, the whole bike becomes a lot more fun to ride. Thats why people do it.

·
Registered
1290 Superduke R '17
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes, welcome to the future of ever further strangled engines, courtesy of the EU with their ever tightening emissions regulations. The Superdukes are Euro 4/5 compliant, which means they run lean (this is what turns your headers as hot as they are in that picture) and runs far from ideal for engine performance and longevity.

The idle reset you mentioned probably involves removing the cat box, then running it idle for 15 minutes to allow the ECU to reset itself and adjust to the new exhaust situation. If you then chuck a servo eliminator at it combined with fueling dongles, the engine runs a lot cooler down low in the revs. These changes will positively impact the power delivery too.

In other words, when you remove all the emissions crap, the whole bike becomes a lot more fun to ride. Thats why people do it.
I agree with your comment but I wonder why the same thing doesn't happen to the front cylinder header ? I checked at the same time it was not glowing like the rear one.

edit:

I've run the bike for few minutes just right now the headers were looked like same :D (the phone was amplified red color a bit due to my garage is very darker place. especially rear header's color)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I noticed a significant difference in temperatures and off-idle engine pick up after removing the O2 sensors and the SAS injectors. The engine runs extremely lean as Menso stated in stock form. I didn't use dongles but had P3 Tuning make the changes in the ECU. Very happy with the changes.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Wow that's quite a glow! If it seems to run fine, not missing or sounding strange then this is probably the way it should be. Note to self: To have a cooler longer lasting engine, lose the catalytic box.

BTW, what happened to the rear header heat shield ... GT's have this. Probably there to protect the rear shock from roasting.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yeah that's another thing. Lean running engines and exhausts that get THAT hot, won't last long. It'll eventually break from the stress, and it'll break much earlier than if the engine were running optimally.

If there's one silver lining about ever tightening emissions regulations, it's that there is a LOT of ground to regain when you finally get an engine running properly again. Right now, it's like trying to run uphill while breathing through a straw. How these engines still produce 171hp and 100 ft lbs of torque despite those torture devices is a miracle.

You can probably tell I am not a fan of government intervention.

·
Registered
19’ SDR
26 Posts
This is just for point of reference to Yunus. My 19' is bone stock (well some bling crap) hovering around 3k miles and my pipes do not look anything like yours, especially at idle.

·
Registered
1290 Superduke R '17
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This is just for point of reference to Yunus. My 19' is bone stock (well some bling crap) hovering around 3k miles and my pipes do not look anything like yours, especially at idle.
hello, leave the bike ~5 mins at idle in darker space and check the pipes. I think it'll be same. if not i should go to dealer for valve clearance.

·
Registered
19’ SDR
26 Posts
hello, leave the bike ~5 mins at idle in darker space and check the pipes. I think it'll be same. if not i should go to dealer for valve clearance.
I apologize and you are correct! my rear pipe does give off a bit of a glow but nothing compared to your photograph posted.(y)

·
Registered
1290 Superduke R '17
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I apologize and you are correct! my rear pipe does give off a bit of a glow but nothing compared to your photograph posted.(y)
no worries. my phone is amplified the color a bit due to i was in darker area. how long did you leave the bike on idle ?

·
Registered
19’ SDR
26 Posts
no worries. my phone is amplified the color a bit due to i was in darker area. how long did you leave the bike on idle ?
I would say just about 10 minutes. I needed to burn off some oil I spilled on my pipes when I serviced the bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts