KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
Just joined the forum.. Been the proud owner of a black Gen3 since July this year, absolutely loving the bike.
Came from a 790 Duke, which I owned a year, before I upgraded, because.. well, POWER (and being 1.95cm and 102kg also looks kinda funny on the 790, so I've been told)

Now I've recently been at my dealer, and one of the mechanics there told me they could give me a pretty sweet deal on the full carbon set, since I've been inquiring about that ever since I bought the bike, but could never find any decent picture of it, hence I didn't pull the trigger yet.

Is there anyone on this forum that has the full carbon PP-set on (if I'm lucky..) a black Gen3, with the PP-decalset as well?
I would love to finally see a picture of it from actual angles, instead of the general 'side-shot' that I can see online, which hardly shows any details or anything..

Also noticed that (after forgetting a bit about them) Maxicarbon now makes just about every part in carbon as well, but for quite a bit cheaper... Anyone has experience with them and their products for the SDR?

Looking forward to your replies!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hey all!
Just joined the forum.. Been the proud owner of a black Gen3 since July this year, absolutely loving the bike.
Came from a 790 Duke, which I owned a year, before I upgraded, because.. well, POWER (and being 1.95cm and 102kg also looks kinda funny on the 790, so I've been told)

Now I've recently been at my dealer, and one of the mechanics there told me they could give me a pretty sweet deal on the full carbon set, since I've been inquiring about that ever since I bought the bike, but could never find any decent picture of it, hence I didn't pull the trigger yet.

Is there anyone on this forum that has the full carbon PP-set on (if I'm lucky..) a black Gen3, with the PP-decalset as well?
I would love to finally see a picture of it from actual angles, instead of the general 'side-shot' that I can see online, which hardly shows any details or anything..

Also noticed that (after forgetting a bit about them) Maxicarbon now makes just about every part in carbon as well, but for quite a bit cheaper... Anyone has experience with them and their products for the SDR?

Looking forward to your replies!
I just ordered a Gen 1 tail set from Maxicarbon for my Gen 2. Due to me tomorrow. I will let you know how the quality is but I have heard great things. I used Motocomposites before...and although the pricing was right I would rate the finish 9/10, but the fitments closer to 7/10. Many have raved about Maxicarbon so I decided to try them this go around.

I had the Motocomposite full carbon Gen2 tail prior...but then changed my mind on looks (I do this...often)...and now find myself wanting the Gen 1 tail again

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mede Nederlander!

Full carbon on a gen 3... I don't wanna know what that costs, but I do wanna know how it rides!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I just ordered a Gen 1 tail set from Maxicarbon for my Gen 2. Due to me tomorrow. I will let you know how the quality is but I have heard great things. I used Motocomposites before...and although the pricing was right I would rate the finish 9/10, but the fitments closer to 7/10. Many have raved about Maxicarbon so I decided to try them this go around.

I had the Motocomposite full carbon Gen2 tail prior...but then changed my mind on looks (I do this...often)...and now find myself wanting the Gen 1 tail again
Would love to see it! Did you go for glossy or matte?
I'm a bit torn between that aswell. I like the glossy for the visibility of the weave, but the matte is a nice contrast with my gloss-black tank..

Mede Nederlander!

Full carbon on a gen 3... I don't wanna know what that costs, but I do wanna know how it rides!
Navond!!

Costs less than what I would expect to be honest.. When I was configuring my Gen3 this spring/summer, I think all the carbon from the catalogue added up to about 3500euros.. At that point I also couldn't find any pictures online and the configurator showed next to nothing about the weave/looks etc., so I postponed..
Current pricing I got from Maxi is +/- 1400euros, little bit of discount (without installing by my dealer), and KTM is 1750euros with installing and 15% discount, but my dealer also offers me an additional 15% on any helmet in the near future if I get the KTM set from them.
So it looks like KTM significantly dropped the carbon prices if my memory serves me well..

Maxi has the rear seat cowl, but no decals, KTM has the decals but no rear seat cowl in their set.
Currently trying to see if I can work a bit with Maxi since I'll be purchasing almost all of their parts if I order from them, so I'd like to have the price a little lower.. (yeah, DUTCH! :D)

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
I'm a bit torn between that aswell. I like the glossy for the visibility of the weave, but the matte is a nice contrast with my gloss-black tank..

Navond!!

Costs less than what I would expect to be honest.. When I was configuring my Gen3 this spring/summer, I think all the carbon from the catalogue added up to about 3500euros.. At that point I also couldn't find any pictures online and the configurator showed next to nothing about the weave/looks etc., so I postponed..
Current pricing I got from Maxi is +/- 1400euros, little bit of discount (without installing by my dealer), and KTM is 1750euros with installing and 15% discount, but my dealer also offers me an additional 15% on any helmet in the near future if I get the KTM set from them.
So it looks like KTM significantly dropped the carbon prices if my memory serves me well..

Maxi has the rear seat cowl, but no decals, KTM has the decals but no rear seat cowl in their set.
Currently trying to see if I can work a bit with Maxi since I'll be purchasing almost all of their parts if I order from them, so I'd like to have the price a little lower.. (yeah, DUTCH! :D)
One way or another, the carbon fiber pieces that fit below the tank will turn out glossy where you knees rub!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Went with Matte because I love subtle. I do a treatment where it is matte carbon, then overlay a glossy black "1290" decal on the carbon. Makes it look 3D.

Got the parts and Maxicarbon looks top quality! Will install this weekend

Here is my bike in all its carbon-phase glory when I still had my BST wheels for it

Attachments

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Went with Matte because I love subtle. I do a treatment where it is matte carbon, then overlay a glossy black "1290" decal on the carbon. Makes it look 3D.

Got the parts and Maxicarbon looks top quality! Will install this weekend

Here is my bike in all its carbon-phase glory when I still had my BST wheels for it
Nice looking bike. I like the black frame. Is that stock? I have only seen orange frames in the USA.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Problem with matte is you have to be very careful with it. Theres no "buffing" out scratches. I just spent a bunch on CF parts, and thought about matte. As mentioned ,I thought it would look nice with gloss decals. But I went with gloss. It has a nice 3d look in the sun. And just seemed more practical for real world use. I have tank cover and side panels coming from HF Carbon parts in Germany some time in Jan.....Heres a link to a nice gen 1
SD with maxi carbon parts, and CF wheels. Also, if you have deep pockets, Rotobox wheels look super nice. And should for 4k.
Superduke 1290R https://rotobox-wheels.com/wheels/bullet/

Reactions: SuperDookieR

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@MishMashSD1290R Thats a sweet looking bike man!
I've made up my mind to go with Maxi, they gave me a really nice discount on the quote..
Just need to make up my mind to go either standard or twill weave, and matte or glossy.. I'm leaning a bit towards Standard/Glossy after seeing that on a Gen2 of a dude on youtube/instagram named Kischardio.
But all these twill/matte pics are making me question myself again.. damn you!

@Rick Danger Awesome looking as well! And yeah, those CF wheels are looking amazing, but I can't warrant another 4k into my bike this (end of) season.. maybe next year though.
Is the last pic you posted glossy/twill? It looks like it has a little matte-touch to it on the picture.

@leavittjim Is that happening to matte finishes for real? I would have thought that the protective coat would be to avoid that?

The standard weave is something I did grow into, also because it's "something else" and it's already the way my heatshield and Akra muffler have it. Also playing with the idea of mixing the weave/finish, but I keep coming to back to it because I'm a bit scared it's gonna look like a franken-bike with all kinds of different carbon..

·
Registered
37 Posts
@MishMashSD1290R I'm a bit scared it's gonna look like a franken-bike with all kinds of different carbon..
That was my worry. I could have my tank cover/side panels by now. Guy had matte twill in stock. But mid/end Jan. before he would make glossy twill. But I already started with glossy twill. So I think I'll stick with it. And dont forget, if your matte parts get marked up, I dont know how you could fix them. But gloss can be buffed, compounded, polished like automotive clear coat. I do think gloss decals on matte CF would look nice.....thats not my bike BTW. I think it looks bad *** though. But I would lose the crash bars. undertail exhaust must sound awesome.

·
Registered
635 Posts
@SuperDookieR i just got my rear Maxicarbon matte tail pieces and will be installing in an hour or so. The twill matte they do looks just like the Motocomposites pieces I already have on the bike. The question mark is the KTM PP piece I just ordered. Those Rotobox forged carbon wheels look waaaaay too spindly for my comfort. I got rid of my BSTs because the roads around me in California are getting so bad that they end even OEM wheels.

I went back to OEM and powdercoated Orange. Updated Pictures later today

·
Registered
635 Posts
Never realized how off center they are. View attachment 99567
Yikes! That's even more Nope than I've ever had for carbon wheels!

if you want carbon wheels, I'd go BST. They have a long history and are proven

so the Maxicarbon parts took work to get proper fitment. When I used Motocomposites prior, it was less work. The tank surround with the big gaps in my other post was a Motocomposites piece (I'll mention it now).

comparing the finish quality from either when it comes to Matte, I'd say split decision. Both are really fine pieces

I noticed the Maxicarbon pieces are thicker by a bit. That can be a plus or minus. The motocomposites full carbon pieces are what I feel is the best thickness because it allows flex more than the Maxicarbon pieces. Since fitment is awry for both, I'd say advantage Motocomposites.

but again look how far off the tank piece is I had

I think in conclusion you make trades with either but won't be unhappy overall.

So here is some shots I took just now of my bike in its latest, "tamer" configuration. I like to mess around with it and change it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been getting Z4 stuff. But the tank top and sides and front fender I ordered from HF Carbon in Germany. Fit was **** with the Z4 I'm sad to say. Took quite a while, and dremel work, to get some pieces to fit right.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've been getting Z4 stuff. But the tank top and sides and front fender I ordered from HF Carbon in Germany. Fit was **** with the Z4 I'm sad to say. Took quite a while, and dremel work, to get some pieces to fit right.
Yeah I hear you. I had to dremel and drill the Maxi stuff too a bit. It has to be tough to engineer carbon to the exact spec for anything I suppose

1 - 20 of 24 Posts