KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum as I only bought my bike 3 weeks ago, but already picked up some tips (especially with the wind buffeting against the helmet). Thanks.

I just want find out if anyone has experienced a high speed wobble with their bikes from around 190km/h to 220km/h, and if so, could you fix the problem and how?

NB. Please don't mention riding slower :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum as I only bought my bike 3 weeks ago, but already picked up some tips (especially with the wind buffeting against the helmet). Thanks.

I just want find out if anyone has experienced a high speed wobble with their bikes from around 190km/h to 220km/h, and if so, could you fix the problem and how?

180-220 With hard cases on or off?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey Alan.

I,ve tested the bike with all the cases on and all the cases off, but still the wobble is there.
I've had a slight wobble at high speed with bags on due the turbulence they create but not with them off. I'd check the steering damper, tire condition and wheel balancing (Your wheels are not the spoked ones I presume being an "S"? ) as well as wheel bearings before moving to the steering head bearings. It might have a slight wobble that only becomes really intrusive at higher speeds.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I should also check REAR wheel and dumper...
A bit stiffer both the direction of the dumper and check the tyre pressure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Alan. I have the mag wheels on, tyre pressure in the front is at 2.8 bar and rear at 3.2 bar. I'll have a look at the front wheel bearings. I read in previous posts (after I posted my topic:whistle:) that moving the front shocks up a little in the 3 point brackets also helps. So I'll do one thing and test the bike, then the next thing and test again.

I'll give feedback as soon as I get working on the bike.

Bought some cool accessories that I want to fit on it also.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Ride Slower........... :ROFLMAO: .......... sorry couldn't resist............

New bike brand spanking off the showroom floor or a low km used 20 model? Probably just set up related, as it is basically a big trail bike it will have soft long travel suspension for adventure riding........ but plenty of SAS guys ride with sports bikes so I'd say assume the dealer hasn't done a proper pre delivery check and go over everything - usual suspects like wheel alignment, tyre pressures (check not too high - I've had dealerships put 42psi in the front!), forks looking parallel in the clamps, chain slack correct from the factory, fork spring and damping set for rider weight/sag (though being new it will need time for them to settle in), hand protectors set equally level (or remove them as they can cause a wiggle), chassis nuts tight (except for the one that holds the handle bars :ROFLMAO:), ....are you sure it's not your helmet or jacket flapping around in the screen turbulence causing your arms to wiggle the bars....... don't scoff, it's possible as they are really wide bars with a lot of leverage!

The KTM shouldn't have a wobble, but they are pretty sensitive so if something isn't set just right it may cause a lively ride. The tyres have a compromise dirt-sealed road tread but should still be ok for high speed road riding, assuming no faults in that batch of rubber.

Maybe raising the forks up through the clamps and stiffening up the springs/damping F & R will make your's better for high speed work but I am reading that the new 21SAS (expected on dealer floors soon) has quite a few changes, like 15mm shorter steering head position, new frame, engine rotated 2 deg forward etc etc, so maybe the superceded model wasn't the best for 200+ speeds? But I'm sure it can be dialed in once the suspension breaks in and settles.

Reactions: AlanS65

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been looking at Youtube ,and it mentions in a couple of a high speed wobble, but doesn't seem to be serious. You could try an adjustable steering damper and tighten the damping up a bit. I only just took delivery of my own 'S' a couple of days ago and can't ride it until April (unless I want to buy spiked tyres) so I'm not familiar with it yet

·
Registered
217 Posts
Here is a review on the bike that shows what you are talking about .. scoot to minute 11.00

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hear a lot of excuses in that video, from what you're wearing to weight and tires and everything else. The reality is that it's not a sport bike, it has suspension compromised for on/off road, it's higher off the ground and that's bound to end up in flex in the front and rear suspension arms. If I owned one there's no way I would travel above 160.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I hear a lot of excuses in that video, from what you're wearing to weight and tires and everything else. The reality is that it's not a sport bike, it has suspension compromised for on/off road, it's higher off the ground and that's bound to end up in flex in the front and rear suspension arms. If I owned one there's no way I would travel above 160.
To a degree you are right. I have both a Superduke GT and a Super Adventure R and whilst the GT is a madman and is quite happy at 220km/h ( so I hear ;)) I have only had my Super Adventure up to 180 (on a track of course) and it was very stable and content at that speed. I believe it is quite capable of more speed safely but the wobble is probably unavoidable because of its design.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ride Slower........... :ROFLMAO: .......... sorry couldn't resist............

New bike brand spanking off the showroom floor or a low km used 20 model? Probably just set up related, as it is basically a big trail bike it will have soft long travel suspension for adventure riding........ but plenty of SAS guys ride with sports bikes so I'd say assume the dealer hasn't done a proper pre delivery check and go over everything - usual suspects like wheel alignment, tyre pressures (check not too high - I've had dealerships put 42psi in the front!), forks looking parallel in the clamps, chain slack correct from the factory, fork spring and damping set for rider weight/sag (though being new it will need time for them to settle in), hand protectors set equally level (or remove them as they can cause a wiggle), chassis nuts tight (except for the one that holds the handle bars :ROFLMAO:), ....are you sure it's not your helmet or jacket flapping around in the screen turbulence causing your arms to wiggle the bars....... don't scoff, it's possible as they are really wide bars with a lot of leverage!

The KTM shouldn't have a wobble, but they are pretty sensitive so if something isn't set just right it may cause a lively ride. The tyres have a compromise dirt-sealed road tread but should still be ok for high speed road riding, assuming no faults in that batch of rubber.

Maybe raising the forks up through the clamps and stiffening up the springs/damping F & R will make your's better for high speed work but I am reading that the new 21SAS (expected on dealer floors soon) has quite a few changes, like 15mm shorter steering head position, new frame, engine rotated 2 deg forward etc etc, so maybe the superceded model wasn't the best for 200+ speeds? But I'm sure it can be dialed in once the suspension breaks in and settles.
:ROFLMAO:....

Just a bit of feedback on the high speed wobble situation.

Thanks for the tips Dave. Just to answer some of your questions, its a brand new bike, had 4km on the clock when I drove it off the floor (they filled the fuel tank for me, hence the reading)

So yesterday I had a few accessories delivered that I bought online, and reading some of the previous comments, decided to do a propper check of everything anyway.

Accessories: orange 2 finger clutch and brake levers, (cause who uses all 4 fingers right?),

pump operated chain lube system,

(Don't worry, already saw the flaws of my positioning the oil dispensor nozzle)'
Removed the 3 x rear Touratech boxes and brackets and replaced the stock brackets,

clutch slave cylinder guard,

rear brake reservoir guard,

TFT screen protector (incorrectly supplied so I didn't fit) and a waterproof phone holder (bracket didn't fit to the handle bar:rolleyes:, so I didn't fit either)

Checks I did and what I found:
Raised the front shocks in the 3 point brackets by about 3mm, picture below is where it was set to before adjustment, and the one below that is after my adjustment,

and in doing this I found bolts wer loose that held the forks on the bottom clamps,
Checked the axle nuts, front and back, they were tight, checked the swingarm axle, it was tight.
Checked my tyre pressures, think the rear wheel is over inflated to 3,6 bar instead of 2,9bar as specified.

So... unfortunately I haven't had the time to test the bike since I had a procedure done to my lower back last week Wednesday, but as soon as this drain comes out and I'm fit to ride, I'll take it for a spin and let everyone know my findings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, that is a bit unnerving. Remember the old acronym to check for anything loose before riding I guess. Especially on a new bike.
Yeah, a person would think that because it's a new bike, and it went for it's 1000km service already such things would have been checked by the OEM. But it's like the old saying also i guess, "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself."

·
Registered
157 Posts
Tires make a difference for high speed wobble as well. My original Karoo 3s on my 790R would occasionally get a slight wobble at triple digits, but my K60s do not. Smooth at 124 mph, but for some reason with the K60s, I get handlebar wobble slowing from 40-30 mph with my hands off the bars and tire vibrations below 10 mph on pavement. Above 40 mph and between 10 - 30 mph, she rides nice with no hands, and if she wobbles, once I grab the handgrips the wobble stops.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Under hard acceleration, as you near 200, the wobble mostly starts (it is wind condition dependent); probably because the front lightens. At first it was unsettling but it never feels out of control. I've seen 252 once (the display "fades") but the engine's still tight at 3,000km's.....
I did enquire about stabilising and it was suggested that I consider either a Scott (adjustable) or Ohlins steering damper. I don't intend doing this speed often so I'll trust the factory damper in the meantime.
The 2021 SAS has redesigned handguards and I'm wondering if this lessens the wobble (these and the mirrors are handlebar mounted and they resist wind).

ps. don't quote me on speed please, I'll deny it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
:D...... Glad you found those loose clamps...... and the weird tyre pressures........ it's probably a lot better/fixed now, so do the same to yourself post surgery, (check all nuts and appendages still in correct place ;).......).....and ride.

Hope the op went well and you recover fast. (y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey everyone.

Some more feedback. I did a bit of a trip the past weekend and did about 300km on the bike. I had the top box back on cause I had to carry some stuff with me.

The high speed wobble is still there, and even more aggresive now. Pretty sure the top box plays a huge issue here as I have heard from GS riders that they have the same issues with the top box on.

After fitting a new cellphone bracket to my handlebars, and rotating my phone to the landscape position parallel to the handbars, I noticed that it seems my handlebars are skew if I check the relation between my phone and the TFT screen. Pretty sure there is a problem with the alignment of the front shocks.

What I also noticed is that the hand protectors aren't perfectly level.

So my next steps are gonna be:
1) Find a place that does alignment for motorcycles and get the alignment checked, take it for a drive and check,
2) Get the hand guards perfectly level, take it for a drive and check,
3) Remove the top box, take it for a drive and check.

Pretty sure these 3 issues would have a dramatic difference in the wobble.

·
Registered
790R, KLX350, Canyon Enduracer, Santa Cruz
8 Posts
IMO, raising the forks in the triples is going to make the steering angle steeper, which is a more unstable condition. I would suggest dropping the forks in the triples.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts