KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Yesterday my fuelgauge gave an "empty" warning on a full tank!
(First, i considered myself lucky that there was no leak..)
Contact on and off during the day changed nothing. ..
We were almost home and the gauge was suddenly ok again. Later it kept working good an badly.
What could be the origin of this issue?
Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My first idea too..
The bike has almost 50k. And is until april '23 under extended warranty.
The dealer will say that nothing is wrong, when the bike is showed with working gage...

But, is to expect that this will repeat (more and more frequent) itself?

Anyway, if this would be the only issue...i would sign for it immediately!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fill it up again when you're near the dealership, if its the float it should show empty again when you fill it up. Take to dealership and show them, they should take care of it. Worst case, take photo or video of full tank and empty gauge, that should be enough evidence that its happening for dealership to fix for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If it has a float the floats can get a hole in them and hold some fuel - this will reduce the floatiness of the float and it will only be able to raise to the top when the tank is emptier - If that makes sense - Have seen this a lot on older cars etc - maybe could be that

·
Registered
18 SDR
2,391 Posts
This is a common problem as I’ve read on the Superduke forum. I actually have this issue to the point I no longer rely on the fuel gauge (as do many others) I use the trip meter to figure out when I need to fill up. In my case the fuel gauge doesn’t alert me that I’m low until I have 10-20km left …it isn’t linear. I’m disappointed to hear this is an issue on a new Superadventure - seems this is a chronic problem on KTMs.

I bought the bike new in May of 2019 and it’s mainly had ethanol free fuel - the gauge started acting erratically in my second year of ownership - just after the warranty expired.

I did a lot of research on my any forums where people have replaced the parts, to sanding the float so it doesn’t bind - in the end the problem came back. I believe it’s a Italian manufacturer that makes the fuel sensing hardware.

It’s unfortunate KTM has these issues as it would be nice to have a fuel gauge that works reliably…

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a new SAS 2021 model and the other day it said we had 50km's to go and we were 47kms from town and I thought mmm this will be close - Filled up in town it still said 50kms to go and took 18litres to fill - lol - I always just go by KM's travelled and how my fuel anxiety is at any one time :)

·
Registered
18 SDR
2,391 Posts
I have a new SAS 2021 model and the other day it said we had 50km's to go and we were 47kms from town and I thought mmm this will be close - Filled up in town it still said 50kms to go and took 18litres to fill - lol - I always just go by KM's travelled and how my fuel anxiety is at any one time :)
Yeah it’s unfortunate we can’t rely on the gauge. Seems like you had 5 litres left (estimated about 80km). It’s a premium bike for travel and it’s something KTM should resolve. I ride with some Harley guys and their gauges are bang on - even the estimated range based on how you ride is very accurate. …I don’t really like the Harley bikes but I am envious of the fuel gauge/range functionality they have….

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah it’s unfortunate we can’t rely on the gauge. Seems like you had 5 litres left (estimated about 80km). It’s a premium bike for travel and it’s something KTM should resolve. I ride with some Harley guys and their gauges are bang on - even the estimated range based on how you ride is very accurate. …I don’t really like the Harley bikes but I am envious of the fuel gauge/range functionality they have….
Same Issue on my Kawasaki 1000 SX - It says 350KM+ for travel when tank is full - Then you ride 200Kms and it still says 350kms to go - 200KMs more and she flashing empty - Yamaha MT 10 130kms from first half of tank 50kms for next quarter and 30 kms for next quarter then she empty :) (they only show full / half / quarter / flash for fill up)

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The gauge normally works quite exact after 80km. ( it does not move before that).
When it shows 40km left, there is on average 4-5 l left . (Not so bad i think).
Anyway, i always rely on the tripmeter aswell.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Might wanna try this one, yet another free fix!

Not sure if its the same as what is on all of your different models in this thread with similar issues, but for this '16 1290SA, its clearly the float getting bound up inside the tube and a little light sanding to make it slide easily inside is all it should take to fix it once and for all.

One other video in case its sticking at the full mark:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, I went down this rabbit hole quickly! So, tips for this! Do NOT sand it too far down, seen someone post about doing that and it ended up filling with fuel and sinking to the bottom. Also, there was a bulletin from KTM about this issue, but I didn't find the bulletin number, sorry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,
Yesterday my fuelgauge gave an "empty" warning on a full tank!
(First, i considered myself lucky that there was no leak..)
Contact on and off during the day changed nothing. ..
We were almost home and the gauge was suddenly ok again. Later it kept working good an badly.
What could be the origin of this issue?
Thanks for your thoughts.
When it does that again make a video clip show to dealer and complain every time it happens so you can build up history in case it goes faulty after warranty you have a case to say it was like that under warranty.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts