KTM Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2021 - MT10 - 1290 SAS
35 Posts
Just giving my experience yesterday on the fuel so it is kinda in the same location if people are looking.

Guage gets down to 2 bars and it says I have 100kms until empty (was high way running) As soon as it gets to 2 bars I get the Low Fuel warning on the dash - As soon as the Fuel waring comes on it says 50kms until empty - I have already done 320kms and I needed to stop anyway - Stopped 14kms later so had done 334km since last fill up - Filled up to the top with 18.33 Litres - So just under 5 litres left and I was averaging 18kms / lire So should have easily gotten another 75kms from the tank + the 14kms I had done and would have been 1 litre left :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
That sounds about right, I assume KTM has built in some error factor so the fuel pump doesn't run dry. Remember, this is a submerged pump and it uses the fuel to keep itself from overheating in the tank like all vehicles with submerged pumps. Having to pull what little fuel left in the tank through the filter sock at the end of the pump also creates a bunch of air and the ecu has to adjust for it going lean-rich, lean-rich, etc.

Just replaced my fuel pump in my classic '85 Supra last week, it shows empty on the gauge (with low fuel light on) but I pulled out another 2 gallons of fuel, that kept the fuel sock fully-submerged and the pump had about a quarter inch of fuel covering its bottom section.

·
Registered
2021 - MT10 - 1290 SAS
35 Posts
That sounds about right, I assume KTM has built in some error factor so the fuel pump doesn't run dry. Remember, this is a submerged pump and it uses the fuel to keep itself from overheating in the tank like all vehicles with submerged pumps. Having to pull what little fuel left in the tank through the filter sock at the end of the pump also creates a bunch of air and the ecu has to adjust for it going lean-rich, lean-rich, etc.

Just replaced my fuel pump in my classic '85 Supra last week, it shows empty on the gauge (with low fuel light on) but I pulled out another 2 gallons of fuel, that kept the fuel sock fully-submerged and the pump had about a quarter inch of fuel covering its bottom section.
Oh yeah wasn't complaining either just compiling information :)
The other thing I thought might play into it is the twin tanks on the 21 SAS - I know you have to fill the tank the right way or you only get it half full when you go to ride away :) - First time I filled it I was like hang on I have done 300kms and it only wants 11 litres lol

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Good evening (here in Belgium)..
Thanks for all the info. This will be very usefull for a few riders.
My ktm-dealer has just ordered a new fuel-sensor. Everything will be done as a warranty issue. So i am not fixing it myself..
The dealer told me that ot was more a 990 prob.
Until then, i will be counting the numbers😉

21 - 25 of 25 Posts