KTM Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
:p:cool: My Duke only holds 2 qts of oil, so no mater what after 1000 miles , I'm changing it. I did the first at 300 miles and the second at 600 miles and then every 1000 miles, switched to syn at 2600 miles, Screens checked every time and filters at 600 miles and every 1000 miles, always drain when hot and warm her up before starting a ride, just my 2cts,ride safe....
(y)

Holy cow that's a bit excessive and I am OCD with my bikes. It's your money though, lol :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Interesting thread. I will be changing my oil at half the recommended interval...BUT, KTM wouldn't be recommending an interval that would lead to engine damage...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'll test the theory for everyone and run mine for the full service interval...

Reactions: RobbyKTM

·
Super Moderator
1,178 Posts
I'll test the theory for everyone and run mine for the full service interval...
I have been doing that for 42,000 kms and 2.5 years now with my SDGT. Mine uses no oil, doesn't change the feeling or efficiency of the gearchange or quickshifter. The oil gets dark in the sight tube, but no different at 15,000 km than at 5,000 km. No issues to date.

I did the same with my K1300S BMW, MV Agusta Brutale 1078RR, Kawasaki Ninja 1000 and Triumph Speed Triple, all of which have 15,000km service intervals, without an issue.

However, whatever floats your boat. It's your money. It's good to note that there hasn't been any preaching about short intervals being right and scheduled intervals being wrong. Just a valid sharing of ideals.

Reactions: katie and RobbyKTM

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Oil doesn't wear out but it does lose viscosity and additives over time and repeated duty cycles. If you track-day your bike or even dragrace it like the Russian fellow, shorter change intervals are probably a good idea. The additive packages are what makes modern oil so much better than what was available before. I haven't seen the test papers, but evidently KTM's engineers feel the viscosity drop and additive loss doesn't start to become critical until 9300 miles (15 thousand kilometers) when running Power Synt in normal use.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The 2019 SDGT service interval is 15,000km. My previous bike had 12,000km but I still changed the oil every 6,000km.

What's everyone's thoughts on 15,000km? Is it realistic? Are you changing the oil at 7,500 (or less)?

Thanks in advance.
The 2019 SDGT service interval is 15,000km. My previous bike had 12,000km but I still changed the oil every 6,000km.

What's everyone's thoughts on 15,000km? Is it realistic? Are you changing the oil at 7,500 (or less)?

Thanks in advance.
I change mine every 7500 kms on the 1290.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts