KTM Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first post:

I’m very close to pulling the trigger on a low mileage 2016 SD GT. It’s being sold by a wholesale dealer- not a KTM shop, so they don’t know the answers to these questions:

• it comes with the PowerParts seat. I checked under the seat to see if there were any wiring issues with other farkles. Everything looked good as far as wiring goes, but the salesman and I couldn’t find the plug for the seat (the part attached to the seat was there).Could that be hidden somewhere we couldn’t find, or does a KTM dealer need to add it and activate the feature in the cpu?
  • It has the stock exhaust, and as far as I can see, there were no changes to the cat. Yet there’s a box with the bike with a used exhaust flapper! Why would the po have a spare one of these? (After looking to a parts fiche, I realized there’s a cover for this - it’s possible there’s nothing behind the cover.)
Everything else about the bike is pretty sweet, and it already has a bunch of farkles I like. Just trying to figure out if there are any red flags

Thanks!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have 15,000 miles on my '16 SDGT. It's been flawless for the last 14,500 miles. Had a lot of pesky errors at first: flapper valve, fuel line recall, cruise didn't work, side stand spur broke, and a couple more I've forgotten. But all were fixed by dealer under warranty, and it's been great since.

I believe the connector for the heated seat is buried somewhere under the seat, aft of the battery, but I've never dug into mine enough to actually find it.

Consequently, I don't really have any tips for things to look for.

It's just a really great bike. Hope your purchase goes well. Good luck!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Also, the seat may need to be activated by a KTM dealer. Second, if I read that correctly, you have a box. Is the exhaust valve motor still on the bike? If it isn't, the owner might have bypassed it. The motors break and bypassing it is a common mod. The tail lights snap from their mounts. It is a poor design but see if the tail light is still solidly mounted. Farkles are where problems can arise. What farkles are there?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback!

Sorry if I wasn't clear about the exhaust flapper mystery:

When I checked the bike yesterday at the dealer, all the manuals/spare keys/etc are in one of the saddlebags. Along with that good stuff, there's a cardboard box with a (used?) exhaust flapper in it!

As I said, I didn't think to look behind the cover that's on the bike to see if there's one currently installed, or if the original one was removed and bypassed. Need to check.

As for farkles included (that I've found):
  • Puig touring windscreen
  • GPS mount
  • KnightDesign pegs (1 1/4" lower)
  • SAE pigtail below the seat (dealer claims to installed that, but could've been a PO)
  • USB port by dash
Most of these are what I'd consider "very nice to have", or must have options that I would've done myself shortly after taking possession. So it seems like a pretty sweet setup.

I guess I just waiting for another shoe to drop. You know what they say about "if it seems too good to be true..."

-max

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
G'day Emax from over the otherside of the planet!

Your 16 seems fine....... it's no big deal to remove or dissable the exhaust flapper - I've done that to my 17GT, and it runs as nice as ever. I also fitted an accessory muffler and a K&N airfilter - no change to tune is required, however I fitted a Booster plug and I like what it does for low rpm smoothness - but O2 dongles are cheaper and work almost as well so there's plenty of choice if you find the GT a bit touchy in traffic. Mine likes it's lower gearing (16/40) others use 17/40 or 16/38..... again see how you go once you've bought it.

I have the power parts ergo (heated) seat and yes there is a plug hiding under the negative earth battery lead (one for rider seat & another for the rear seat as well as 4 accessory leads), and yes a dealership will have to activate the seat in addition to your in screen on/off selection - best done when they plug in the KTM system to download any update's including the 2019 model's suspension damping software (that is a must do! (y)(y)) - get them to do this at a service and it should be free.

There were no changes to 16-18 gen 1 models, only a few of the usual new bike recalls for silly things like the possibility of a fuel hose crack, or a Brembo brake plunger fault..... usually because some hard charger somewhere in the world managed to crash his bike. No big deal, and the 16 you're looking at has probably had them done anyway.

Some US / UK riders had fuel filter blockages thought to have been caused by ethanol contaminated fuel affecting the filter media - maybe ask a KTM dealer to check if yours has been replaced when it's due for a service...... otherwise it should go like the clappers and handle like it's on rails. TPMS warnings can be turned off to allow using slightly lower tyre pressures than the 36psi and 42psi stated in the owners manual - I use 35f 37r without any issue and get great tyre mileage (solo riding).

I think some riders couldn't gel with the SDGT because they weren't able to adjust to a high powered sports V2 that only barely tolerates low rpm riding...... these things love to be kept above 4k rpm, and really love 9k rpm :devilish:.

It is more a sports bike than a sport tourer, but it is comfy enough to do long days away with plenty of luggage.

I am super happy with mine (y)

Attachments

Reactions: Nightmare

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks DaveAu!

All of these comments keep reinforcing my decision to become a GT owner. Of course, while I've been mulling this over, it looks like this particular option may have been sold (says "Sale Pending" on the dealer website). 😫

Fortunately, there's another one I'll be checking out tomorrow. They're asking more, but at least they've promised a test ride. Really excited to try one of these out!

In the end, I know I'll find what I want/need. I just need to be patient. It's very difficult with the large, gaping hole in my garage currently, and the $$$ waiting in my account.

I'll be updating as my quest continues!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Cheers Emax, and good hunting!

You might look at a gen 2 (2019-2020) - they got an upgrade to LED main headlights and cruise control on the left handlebar...... and some tweaks to the exhaust headers and cyl heads...... nothing too huge to make the gen 1 a bad choice......

My 17GT is running perfectly (I just dropped it down to the dealership so it will be dead cold and ready for it's 19k mile major service on Monday). No issues to report..... just in for the scheduled service and two new R5 tyres.

(y)

Just in case you're not aware of the gen1 - gen2 - and soon to be gen3 in 2021...... here's a pic for info..... err there's a magazine typo, the first model SDGT was a 2016, but they were released to the public in late 2015. The gen 2 got the TFT flat dash (2019 & 2020) and a stronger screen system, but the gen 1 screen works fine and I have a larger Puig Touring screen mounted to mine without any issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm aware of the various generations and their difference. Hadn't heard about the gen3 before; would love more details.

The gen2 is a more attractive bike imo, especially in white. But they're just a bit beyond my budget at the moment.

Got to test ride another '16 this afternoon from another dealer (multi-dealer with KTM, among others). Lower miles, fewer farkles (only the OEM top case). They're close in price to the first. If I can get them to throw in a PowerSports seat and verify the 2019 updates, we may have a deal.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Good luck ...... the top case is a very useful add-on and it's worth about mmmmm, $400Au for the rack and $600Au for the 50ltr case, so it's a good catch.

There's not too much you really need to do...... a stock GT makes 150hp at the rear tyre so they are not slow. If it feels a bit too sharp/sudden on the throttle, and using 'rain' mode doesn't work for you, then some cheap O2 dongles ($45 US) will soften that (DIY). I wouldn't bother doing more unless you're a track day enthusiast...... all I've done to mine is disable the exhaust valve with an ESE dongle and slip on a muffler for some subtle music.

I changed sprockets to suit my local driving conditions (city traffic & 60mph hwy limit, and lots of radar's) by fitting 16/40 cogs so I am able to cruise in 6th at 4,000rpm @ 60mph on CC without the engine protesting.

No engine tune is necessary, even if you de-cat. The ecu adjusts for a K&N or DNA airfilter, muffler &/ de-cat mid pipe but not for full race headers...... there's posts of Air Fuel Ratios checked on a dyno tune up on here somewhere. The engine does like to rev, but it will tolerate some light throttle work under 4000rpm.

Others have done piggy back PC5 with dyno tuned maps etc for full race pipes for higher peak power but this thing already has plenty. I got curious and installed a www.Boosterplug. It is more pricey than O2 dongles but I like it, though my GT was already good in stock tune with the sprocket change.

PS I was chatting with my local KTM mechanic on Saturday while handing my GT over for it's 19k mile service, and he commented that the stock 16/38 gearing was purely for passing the Euro noise regs - nothing to do with what is best gearing for local road conditions - hence the quick change rear hub! (15mins to swap a sprocket - one of the easiest mods if applicable to your roads/traffic is to put on a 40 tooth rear or go 17/42 with a new longer chain when due)... (y)

'Farkles' - plenty to select from, crash bars/knobs/tinted screens/hand guards/tank bag systems/sat nav mounts/whatever you want, carbon fibre wheels/stickers/panels...... or just ride it as is...... it's that good. Try to avoid strong ethanol fuel though...... ;)... even though the bike is supposed to be E10 proof, some still seem to have issues with fuels.

BTW the Power Parts Ergo seat is only slightly better than the stock seat, so a good option (if you don't require a heating element) might be to get the oem seat re-padded with softer foam, shaped more narrow at the front (for <32inch inseams)........ I liked the stock seat as it was level, but it was rock hard and wouldn't soften with use. The Ergo seat I bought makes me slide into the one position all the time, but it is ok on long trips....... is it $340Au ok?....... maybe not :unsure:.

Welcome in advance........ (y)

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts