KTM Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used '16 superduke, and as it idles it does so at 1500ish rpm's. Is this normal? Bike is in good nick and has about 4500 miles total on it. Bone stock with the exception of being decatted with a midpipe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it does seem to be happy while it's running, doesn't exhibit any weirdness apart from the high rpms.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nope, thats what mine does (2017 KTM SDGT). The bike likes anything above 4,000 rpm. Really starts to move for me past 6,000 rpm. Got the flasher set at 8,000 rpm/ Constant above 9,500 rpm. With my Plug-Up headphones in really cannot hear the bike or anything else arround me...

Best,

Doco_Oo_O

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
The decat would tend to lean it out slightly, which may be causing the idle uptick. You might consider other measures. Read up in the Exhaust and Remapping thread.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
KTM sets the idle speed at (from memory in the owners handbook) 1450rpms. My 17GT idles at approx 1500 rpms on the tacho and has had all scheduled services and updates over it's 27,000kms...... this is normal for the SD's....... they're mean't to idle at around 1500rpms - your bike is normal (y).

PS keep in mind these new gen V2's will never be able to chugg around at minimal revs like an old carby V2..... they are highly tuned with a light crankshaft and their oil pumps need rpms to provide full pressure to the bearings and the finger followers in the top end (no oil bath under the can lobes). Give it heaps and enjoy the 4cyl like performance :D.

PS what sort of SD did you buy? I assume it's an SDR or an SDGT 1290. If it's an SDGT you should get the 2019 software installed to improve the suspension and engine maps. If you are having difficulty in lower speed traffic etc then look at changing the gearing (the SDR and GT are geared identically) - a bigger rear sprocket helps (and/or a 16 tooth front) make a big difference - I have 16/40 on mine, but I feel that 17/42 or 43 with a longer chain is the better option - check if your 16 has O2 dongles or a de-cat or other mods....... there's plenty of info on the forum ;).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah yeah I should have specified, it's an R. Much appreciation for the replies, I can't wait for the weather to break and ride this thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just bought a used '16 superduke, and as it idles it does so at 1500ish rpm's. Is this normal? Bike is in good nick and has about 4500 miles total on it. Bone stock with the exception of being decatted with a midpipe.
That's it, 1500..1600. I have a coober ecu and 1500 rpm no adjustment. I've been looking too lower mine no luck so far.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's it, 1500..1600. I have a coober ecu and 1500 rpm no adjustment. I've been looking too lower mine no luck so far.
Why do you want to lower it? My old 900ss had a heavy flywheel and mild cam timing so it could idle at 800rpm. A modern Ktm1290r has very light flywheel and lumpy cam timing, they have to idle at 1500rpm, they have the flywheel, compression and cam timing of a race engine. If it wasn't for the modern fuel injection they would set the idle even higher.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
A steady 1500rpm idle is correct on the SDR/GT...... and they both prefer to rev over 4500rpms due to the above comment from Katoom. This is not a chugger V2, imagine it as a 4cyl like V2.... :LOL:..... and let it spin free and smooth - it has been designed to give 4 cyl like race performance.

A change of gearing may help you keep it in it's comfort zone for smoothness in the real world of traffic and speed camera's, without going to fast or using an un-naturaly low a gear (eg I use 16/40 sprockets which give me 6th gear at 110kph without chugging the engine in it's mounts, others are happy with 17/40 and treat it as a 5speed under 80mph, or, if due for a new chain, buy a longer chain with 17/42-43 sprox's...... SDR is geared identically to SDGT).

One other issue that occurs is more an assembly fault than a simple modern engine higher rpm setting - so it's unlikely it's your issue, but if the clutch sensor is in the wrong position, it will cause an MTC fault warning and revs to rise when the clutch is pulled in. See pic if this applies to your bike....

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts