KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some say... that a 16 teeth sprocket takes the chain to run closer to the plastic cover of the monoarm. Too close!
This can ruin the chain (and the plastic cover itself) faster than usual.
So...is this real?
Have you had this experience?
I have put the 16 sprocket two weeks ago and ...is something wonderful!

So...is it better a 16-38 (or a 16-40) or a solution using the standard 17 sprocket as 17-40 or 17-42 or lower?
But in this way I need a longer and heavier chain...

PS: ...I'm waiting for the new Regina chain Z-HPE with no maintenance just to avoid to grease it (...just to avoid to smear my orange rear wheel)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Some say... that a 16 teeth sprocket takes the chain to run closer to the plastic cover of the monoarm. Too close!
So...is this real?
Short answer....no! Of course you can find some truth in anything, but that doesn't mean they don't lean closer to bullshit???
I've got 48,000km with the 16t sprocket and 118,000km in total. Chain guard is still fine, but I'll inspect it more closely at 120,000km when I next replace my chain/sprocket set.
Be interesting to see how you find that new flash chain, so keep us posted.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So...is this real?
Have you had this experience?
I have put the 16 sprocket two weeks ago and ...is something wonderful!

So...is it better a 16-38 (or a 16-40) or a solution using the standard 17 sprocket as 17-40 or 17-42 or lower?
But in this way I need a longer and heavier chain...

PS: ...I'm waiting for the new Regina chain Z-HPE with no maintenance just to avoid to grease it (...just to avoid to smear my orange rear wheel)

No issues with OEM 16T front sprocket.

What year/ type of KTM do you own? What front sprocket manufactor did you use?

Best,

Doc:unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Short answer....no! Of course you can find some truth in anything, but that doesn't mean they don't lean closer to bullshit???
I've got 48,000km with the 16t sprocket and 118,000km in total. Chain guard is still fine, but I'll inspect it more closely at 120,000km when I next replace my chain/sprocket set.
No damage after 48000...ok! Perfect!(y)
I hoped to receive this answer. Which trasmission ratio do you have? As mine (16-38)?

No issues with OEM 16T front sprocket.

What year/ type of KTM do you own? What front sprocket manufactor did you use?

Best,

Doc:unsure::unsure:
I have a SDR '19 with about 16K Km, the brand of the gear...I don't know, it has been installed two weeks ago by my KTM dealer but is a silenced one.
,,,you? 16-??

Thanks to both!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have 17/40 combo, works well for me, has 3rd gear about where i like it, doing 120kph through nice tight fast corners. It also shortens the wheelbase by around 8mm, 16 tooth lengthens wheel base slightly. Stock gearing is crazy high on the 2020.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Mine also 16/38

I guess that's down to tyre circumference which would put the 2020 1.4% taller than previous models?
Yeah, the 200/55 would make the circumference slightly larger. I had the 40 tooth sprocket on my ex GT, but when i fitted a new chain on that bike the chain wouldn't quite reach around the 40 tooth sprocket, so i refitted the stock 38, and i felt the GT didn't really need to be geared down as compared to the 2020 1290R does.

·
Registered
307 Posts
But in this way I need a longer and heavier chain... not true the stock chain is heavy enough for much more power ,Chain size is fine.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Last I heard that "new flash chain" was supposed to cost hundreds of dollars, no one could say for sure?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Some facts for those who change gearing : The larger diameter the sprocket the less each link needs to rotate. The more teeth on the sprocket the more tension on the sprocket the more forces are distributed over a greater number of teeth reducing loading. Conclusion change gearing on larger rear sprocket To avoid this loading. It takes force to wind that chain around a smaller sprocket{ as the links pivot much further]. Keep the front gear from the rear . I'm not smart I jus read a lot !

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Noo...286€ is the double of a standard good chain...if this is the price... the chain is ridicolous!
Now that I am retired, you need to be able to save money whenever you can, by doing the work yourself; it sounds like I will be lubricating the chain myself for awhile longer!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I concur with all the above - I have 16/40 sproxs on a 17GT and that corrects the absurdly tall standard internal gearbox ratio's for my riding conditions here in Aus. I'm not sure if the 2020R has the same internal ratio's as the previous R & GT's, which were geared the same, but I suspect it has.

I'm going to run 17/42 or 17/43 when my chain tells me it's had enough (see Dave B's post #12)...... with a longer standard chain - the DID stock 525 chain is excellent....... I would still put a light coating of Motul C5 on any BMW "wonderchain" even though they claim it is coated in exotic materials....... it's just my way....... chains and 'o' or 'x' rings just like a little lube to reduce friction losses, and the internals of the chain are sealed with grease anyway...... the trick is to just use a minimal amount to help with friction and prevent rust without spraying lube everywhere.

I doubt the 'no maintenance' chain will out last a normal chain, maybe it will last a similar distance, just without the need for external lubrication....... but at twice the cost??

(y)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Don't kid yourself Dave. It won't even come close to the lifespan of DID's own ZVM-X and at a similar price, it shouldn't get a mention.
My DID ZVM-X lasted 60,000kms on my Multistrada, i only changed it as a precaution.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My DID ZVM-X lasted 60,000kms on my Multistrada, i only changed it as a precaution.
I will replace mine at 50,000km. Has over 48,000km currently, but it's within 1mm of the service limit and is forming tight spots. OEM chain was toast at 31,000km.
Next chain is a JT Z3 which I suspect will perform as well as OEM, however it cost US$35.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I doubt the 'no maintenance' chain will out last a normal chain, maybe it will last a similar distance, just without the need for external lubrication....... but at twice the cost??

(y)
...Absolutely!
Up to 130% of a standard chain I'd pay.
If more than this...I will continue to use standard chains and I will continue to clean my wheels.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts