KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
duke 690 for a young rdiers first bike

so i am 16 am am going to invest in my first bike," i been paying like 6 grand for a mountain bike every year not including parts", so i am enetering the world of the motorcycle. so pretty much my dad is a heart and sole H-D guy, he told me if i get a night rod he will pay half, but if i get a Duke 690 i have to pay by myself. now i like the cost of the bike and with fuel mapping i can start out with a lower power setting, but my dad wants to do a 500 mile trip some day and i wonder how it would be on a ride like that. the seat seams like crap but i can get the KTM gel seat, but the up right ridding position seems nice as well. i do alot of downhill mountain biking " i have done 56 mile and hour 90 degree turn on a bicycle", so i probly want a bike that can carve turn and the night rod looks like its not cut out for the canyons, so i am a little lost. any sujjetions would help

ps
dont worry i will be taking a basic ridding class and a motorcycle defensive driving class, and the money will be earned by me, and i have ridden dirt bikes alot.

peace and hub grease

·
Registered
24 Posts
Got long legs? The Duke seat is a bit over 34". Other than that a great street bike for a novice with progressive power delivery but builds quickly like a twin. With 65hp and 330# plenty of go. You'll love it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got long legs? The Duke seat is a bit over 34". Other than that a great street bike for a novice with progressive power delivery but builds quickly like a twin. With 65hp and 330# plenty of go. You'll love it!

sweet, ya i am 5,11, i was also considering the kawisaki ER-6N, it pretty simmilar., but it weighs 116 pounds more and make like ten ponys less, but alot cheeper

·
Registered
178 Posts
The Duke 690 is a great bike, the er6n is a dog. I have 31 years on you and was doing the same with MTBs...switched back over (I grew up racing and riding motos) three years ago to an SV650 (also an excellent bike) and got my 690 last August. It is the pinnacle of modern motorcycling IMO. You 16 yr old butt will be fine for a 500 mile trip, there are plenty of seats availible too. (Gel, low, high etc..) This bike is the ultimate urban commuter and super on the twisties. BUY with confidence.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Duke 690 is a great bike, the er6n is a dog. I have 31 years on you and was doing the same with MTBs...switched back over (I grew up racing and riding motos) three years ago to an SV650 (also an excellent bike) and got my 690 last August. It is the pinnacle of modern motorcycling IMO. You 16 yr old butt will be fine for a 500 mile trip, there are plenty of seats availible too. (Gel, low, high etc..) This bike is the ultimate urban commuter and super on the twisties. BUY with confidence.
thanks man, ya its a fun sport but cost as much as rdding a motorcycle, not going to stop though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Everyone.

I don't want to thread jack, but I am in the same boat.

I am also looking at getting one of these new Dukes. I am looking at a 2008 currently. My first ride was a Ninja250 learner bike, sold that and picked up an SV650 naked, which I really liked. The torque was awesome in that bike, but I hated the looks. When I saw the duke, I was blown away by the design, and I love all the accessories KTM offers. Not to mention fuel economy, and weight.

Morpheus, you say you came from an SV, do you think it was worth the switch?, money aside, I want to know if I will like this thing as much as, or more than the SV. I'm not concerned with top speed either.

I still have a lot to learn, but I have self control and I plan on keeping this thing forever.

·
Registered
48 Posts
so i am 16 am am going to invest in my first bike," i been paying like 6 grand for a mountain bike every year not including parts", so i am enetering the world of the motorcycle. so pretty much my dad is a heart and sole H-D guy, he told me if i get a night rod he will pay half, but if i get a Duke 690 i have to pay by myself. now i like the cost of the bike and with fuel mapping i can start out with a lower power setting, but my dad wants to do a 500 mile trip some day and i wonder how it would be on a ride like that. the seat seams like crap but i can get the KTM gel seat, but the up right ridding position seems nice as well. i do alot of downhill mountain biking " i have done 56 mile and hour 90 degree turn on a bicycle", so i probly want a bike that can carve turn and the night rod looks like its not cut out for the canyons, so i am a little lost. any sujjetions would help

ps
dont worry i will be taking a basic ridding class and a motorcycle defensive driving class, and the money will be earned by me, and i have ridden dirt bikes alot.

peace and hub grease
welcome to the club,,, and it's great that you want to get your feet wet in street bikes.......BUT,,, I am a little concerned..

is you father Nuts?

he wants to buy his 16 yr old son a new Harley Nightrod {aprrox $17,000 before tax,tag, title and dealer prep} AS HIS FIRST EVER STREETBIKE ?????

somebody call child services,,, please !

a drug/alcohol test should be administered to the "father " too....

{maybe you were adopted , and he really does'nt like you?]

what ever happened to the time honored practice of getting your loving son a good used [low price] Universal Japanese Motorcycle, say 250 to 400 cc ?

learn some skills, learn to turn some wrenches on it [fix it ] , have fun on it without worrying if you make a mistake and crash,,, and if you do crash, you [your dad} aren't out much $,,, and hopefully you learn something,, pick it back up, and keep riding...

But a new V-ROD [Night Rod}.... should be the LAST bike on the "List of bikes to learn on" -list.

Also , have you been over to "KTM TALK" forum??

you should,,, a poster by the name of OLD3 has had all kinds of problems with KTM 690 bikes.....
He says the Dukes gas tank Melts from the heat,, and the fuel injection Sucks donkey dicks..
he seems to know alot..

with all that said.............................................:)

I hope you will enjoy your New Duke,,, and get the Old Man to pay for it,,, it is Half the cost of a V-Rod......and he was willing to pay Half of one of them..

good luck,,

this one is mine,,,,,, I rode it today in the mountains of N GA.
it is NOT for sale [4000 miles]
someday I hope to be as good as the bike:cool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Everyone.

I don't want to thread jack, but I am in the same boat.

I am also looking at getting one of these new Dukes. I am looking at a 2008 currently. My first ride was a Ninja250 learner bike, sold that and picked up an SV650 naked, which I really liked. The torque was awesome in that bike, but I hated the looks. When I saw the duke, I was blown away by the design, and I love all the accessories KTM offers. Not to mention fuel economy, and weight.

Morpheus, you say you came from an SV, do you think it was worth the switch?, money aside, I want to know if I will like this thing as much as, or more than the SV. I'm not concerned with top speed either.

I still have a lot to learn, but I have self control and I plan on keeping this thing forever.
what Morph said is right on ...... these are Great motorcycles and alot of FUN..
very reliable and well made [ no kidding , now}

the high fuel mileage {i have seen 61 mpg ,, also 40 mpg} depends on your right wrist..

and the "economy" is offset BIG TIME, by the rear tire wear.... most I get out of 2 rear tires so far is 1800 miles each.... and that is taking them down to the cords !..

so this is not an "economical" bike..

but you will get alot of looks,,, People have made u-turns and followed me to ask about what in the hell I was riding.....
she is different.

enjoy the ride !

·
Registered
2 Posts
As for the comparison to a similar powered VTwin, like the Suzuki SV650, how does it fair? I thought the SV was awesome, and plenty of power for me. I see that the torque on this Duke is 49.4lb.ft of torque, where the SV is around 45.7. The duke gets its max torque at a lower rpm though.

I'm just debating this bike, or something else with more power. I really want to go on the highway at 70mph for extended periods of time (I would get touring wind screen).

Basically, will I get on this thing and wish I had another SV? (from a power standpoint) because I was totally fine with the SV power.

·
Registered
48 Posts
As for the comparison to a similar powered VTwin, like the Suzuki SV650, how does it fair? I thought the SV was awesome, and plenty of power for me. I see that the torque on this Duke is 49.4lb.ft of torque, where the SV is around 45.7. The duke gets its max torque at a lower rpm though.

I'm just debating this bike, or something else with more power. I really want to go on the highway at 70mph for extended periods of time (I would get touring wind screen).

Basically, will I get on this thing and wish I had another SV? (from a power standpoint) because I was totally fine with the SV power.
Honestly, you probably will not like the Duke ,,,, it is a single that vibes [ although not too bad],, where as v-twins are smoother..

any of the 690s are not good highway bikes,, just not made for it..... they are urban street tools, or backroad burners,, twisty-er the better !
any time a straight road appears, it is Suck Time..
but that is fine, if you understand what theses bike where built for..

think of them as shorter motorcross bikes with street tires.....

test ride one if you can, before you buy....... all the 690s ride the same, just look a bit different

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
welcome to the club,,, and it's great that you want to get your feet wet in street bikes.......BUT,,, I am a little concerned..

is you father Nuts?

he wants to buy his 16 yr old son a new Harley Nightrod {aprrox $17,000 before tax,tag, title and dealer prep} AS HIS FIRST EVER STREETBIKE ?????

somebody call child services,,, please !

a drug/alcohol test should be administered to the "father " too....

{maybe you were adopted , and he really does'nt like you?]

what ever happened to the time honored practice of getting your loving son a good used [low price] Universal Japanese Motorcycle, say 250 to 400 cc ?

learn some skills, learn to turn some wrenches on it [fix it ] , have fun on it without worrying if you make a mistake and crash,,, and if you do crash, you [your dad} aren't out much $,,, and hopefully you learn something,, pick it back up, and keep riding...

But a new V-ROD [Night Rod}.... should be the LAST bike on the "List of bikes to learn on" -list.

Also , have you been over to "KTM TALK" forum??

you should,,, a poster by the name of OLD3 has had all kinds of problems with KTM 690 bikes.....
He says the Dukes gas tank Melts from the heat,, and the fuel injection Sucks donkey dicks..
he seems to know alot..

with all that said.............................................:)

I hope you will enjoy your New Duke,,, and get the Old Man to pay for it,,, it is Half the cost of a V-Rod......and he was willing to pay Half of one of them..

good luck,,

this one is mine,,,,,, I rode it today in the mountains of N GA.
it is NOT for sale [4000 miles]
someday I hope to be as good as the bike:cool:

ya i see what you mean, a nightrod, all my familey has harelys and he does not want me on a sport bike, i think he is crazy, and i love carving berms on a mountain bike and the nightrod cant take the corners

·
Registered
48 Posts
ya i see what you mean, a nightrod, all my familey has harelys and he does not want me on a sport bike, i think he is crazy, and i love carving berms on a mountain bike and the nightrod cant take the corners
Glad to see that you understand my point,,,,, good luck..

by the way, if you use Mozilla Firefox as your browser INSTEAD of Internet Explorer, it will alert you to misspelled words ...[your "familey" and "harelys"]

just a hint:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad to see that you understand my point,,,,, good luck..

by the way, if you use Mozilla Firefox as your browser INSTEAD of Internet Explorer, it will alert you to misspelled words ...[your "familey" and "harelys"]

just a hint:)
sweet thanks man, i got awhile to save and think, i would like to get a slip on for the ktm if i get it, but the cheapest one i can find is a FMF for almost 900$

·
Registered
48 Posts
i would like to get a slip on for the ktm if i get it, but the cheapest one i can find is a FMF for almost 900$
save your money,,, give these chaps a call...they are close to me and did a Professional job of removing the cat and replacing it with a stainless pipe and did some other mods internally...... [6- months ago ] it sounds much better
and has more grunt..... all for $350....plus it looks totally stock,, which i think is the best way to go.
http://www.pfmengineering.com/index.htm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts