KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone install the pictured LED upgrade? Thinking of pulling the trigger on this. Stock lighting is pretty poor. TIA!

·
Registered
2016 690 Duke
19 Posts
I have wondered this very same thing. I wanted more feedback before dropping that much especially because my 690 spends the bulk of the year in track trim. If you do get one I'd be interested in how it stacks up to a replacement LED bulb. The PIAA in mine now is ok but it's more of a flood light than a spot light so I don't get much usable light down the road at night.

Reactions: marknormandin

·
Registered
16 Posts
I asked that same question on the Duke 690 facebook page and got some positive feedback on this. One guy mentioned that the light might be a tad low but that can be fixed by stacking up washers to lift the beam, he was well happy with it otherwise. All the other guys that had put it on were more than happy with the result, makes the bike look the part.

If you guys are in the US you can also order it from Mattgeckoleds, it's a bit more expensive than eBay but might be better quality? Not too sure though, to me they all look the same.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I asked that same question on the Duke 690 facebook page and got some positive feedback on this. One guy mentioned that the light might be a tad low but that can be fixed by stacking up washers to lift the beam, he was well happy with it otherwise. All the other guys that had put it on were more than happy with the result, makes the bike look the part.

If you guys are in the US you can also order it from Mattgeckoleds, it's a bit more expensive than eBay but might be better quality? Not too sure though, to me they all look the same.
I think I’m the guy you are referring too! It’s an incredible upgrade both in looks and function. Note that mine is the MattgeckoLED one from the USA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
942 Posts
Side note if i see one more post on the FB forum about leaking gas tanks imma hurl my computer off a bridge.

As far as the light goes it's 1/3 the price of the Matt Gecko one but have personally never run it. Friend of mine has the legit one and he loves it. Huge benefits over the stock light. I'd be skeptical of long term use with the one OP was referring to, support / quality as the chinese tend to cut corners to keep costs down.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Side note if i see one more post on the FB forum about leaking gas tanks imma hurl my computer off a bridge.

As far as the light goes it's 1/3 the price of the Matt Gecko one but have personally never run it. Friend of mine has the legit one and he loves it. Huge benefits over the stock light. I'd be skeptical of long term use with the one OP was referring to, support / quality as the chinese tend to cut corners to keep costs down.
I fugging hate FB and much prefer the forum interface but not as many people seem to use the forums anymore. Hell, I only got FB so I could get info on my bikes in the groups. Oh yea, I also added to my post above that mine is not the eBay one. It’s a mattgeckoled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 690 Duke
19 Posts
I've corresponded with Matt Gecko about the light he sells. His site was the first that I found it on and since he's a small independent guy I wanted feedback. He only said that it is an upgrade form stock but couldn't speak to it's actual performance. He does not make the light he sells, he's merely a distributer. I had questioned the difference in the one he's selling for $255 (regular price $320) US and the ones on eBay selling for $210-220 US. The stock photos are the same so I'm willing to bet they're the same light since it is a fairly specific fitment and I don't think there's a huge market to make lower quality units. Now the light I'm looking at for my Honda XR650L is another story. That one sells for about $200 for the branded unit but is in the $30 neighborhood for the China knockoffs on eBay. That light is a "universal" 6x9 rectangle light so pretty common on a multitude of applications.

With the feedback from you guys I feel more comfortable going thru Matt for one of these lights. I actually don't mind spending a little extra on a small independent merchant.

Funny you mention that. I just pulled the tank off my friend's '17 due to leaking from the fuel pump. The bike has been sitting for over a year so that may have something to do with it. Gotta see about to fix that I suppose.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Ah, see... that's why I haven't had a problem with the fuel tank leak: I'm not on facebook... ;)

I might have to give that light a look. The Duke light is still better than some I've had, but it could stand improvement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
With the feedback from you guys I feel more comfortable going thru Matt for one of these lights. I actually don't mind spending a little extra on a small independent merchant.
Agreed, I think if you're in the US or in Canada it's worth spending that extra money and go with Mattgeckoleds, although he's probably also getting the light from China to be honest...
I wish I could buy it from him but it's well to expensive to get shipped to France when you account for the +$80 shipping fees plus the custom fees. I'll end up getting one from eBay, will let you lads know if it's a scam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts