KTM Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
So I thought maybe some pictures would help spur some responses.

The year of manufacture on the sticker says 89 but it has the exhaust setup from what I think is a 90.

The CDI and Coil that were on the bike when I purchased it: I only get 5v DC out of the green wire 1 of the goes to ground and I cant seem to get anything out of the other black. Doesnt match any diagrams I have seen, yet to see one like this for sale, seemingly the ground passes through the cdi then to ground rather than straight off the plug.

A new (old) CDI that I bought, I think it is out of an 86, it has the correct wire colors leading in from the stator and matches the diagrams that I have found with the ground lead coming right off the plug. I get 5v dc on both the red and green leads. DC Amperage readings on the 200m setting are around 1.0 and .05

Any comments would be much appreciated.

-Ben
86 uses that digital control but not that coil....do you have a trigger switch ( points) in you stator cover ?

·
Registered
276 Posts
So I thought maybe some pictures would help spur some responses.

The year of manufacture on the sticker says 89 but it has the exhaust setup from what I think is a 90.

The CDI and Coil that were on the bike when I purchased it: I only get 5v DC out of the green wire 1 of the goes to ground and I cant seem to get anything out of the other black. Doesnt match any diagrams I have seen, yet to see one like this for sale, seemingly the ground passes through the cdi then to ground rather than straight off the plug.

A new (old) CDI that I bought, I think it is out of an 86, it has the correct wire colors leading in from the stator and matches the diagrams that I have found with the ground lead coming right off the plug. I get 5v dc on both the red and green leads. DC Amperage readings on the 200m setting are around 1.0 and .05

Any comments would be much appreciated.

-Ben
the black wire coming out of the coil...what does that get connected to ? try unhooking it then see what happens ..I bet that's the kill switch and if its grounded you will get no spark......my 250 is pistol whipping me ...I got a great spark but it mite have a bad CDI...good thing I bought 3 of them ....sorry to hear you bought a:gun_bandana: KTM

·
Registered
276 Posts
86 uses that digital control but not that coil....do you have a trigger switch ( points) in you stator cover ?
Why does one controller have 6 wires and the other has 8 ? which is the original the 6 or the 8 ? I'm betting the 8 wire is the original...if so.... wrong CDI 6 wire has the 3 pin connector on it ..on my bike that connector is where the trigger coil gets hooked up not the coil.....mine is also an 1988

·
Registered
276 Posts
the black wire coming out of the coil...what does that get connected to ? try unhooking it then see what happens ........my 250 is pistol whipping me ...I got a great spark but it mite have a bad CDI...good thing I bought 3 of them ....sorry to hear you bought a:gun_bandana: KTM
what is the orange wire connected to ? disconnect then check for spark.....looks like 2 different control boxs

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
what is the orange wire connected to ? disconnect then check for spark.....looks like 2 different control boxs
I was under the assumption that the orange wire on the coil was the to the kill switch, Ive tried it with just about every combination of things unplugged. in either case the third wire from the coil looks like it goes to ground either through the cdi or just through the lead on the plug. just a normal stator cover none of that weird bull*** with the plug on it. what did the coil for the 86 cdi look like? The issue with this bike is I have no idea if any of it is or isnt orginal... the 6 wire cdi doesnt have the ground coming back through the coil instead it goes straight to ground through that ring coming off the plug. the 8 wire is ground coming out the coil through the cdi and out the ring connector there.

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
276 Posts
I was under the assumption that the orange wire on the coil was the to the kill switch, Ive tried it with just about every combination of things unplugged. in either case the third wire from the coil looks like it goes to ground either through the cdi or just through the lead on the plug. just a normal stator cover none of that weird bull*** with the plug on it. what did the coil for the 86 cdi look like? The issue with this bike is I have no idea if any of it is or isnt orginal... the 6 wire cdi doesnt have the ground coming back through the coil instead it goes straight to ground through that ring coming off the plug. the 8 wire is ground coming out the coil through the cdi and out the ring connector there.

Cheers,
Ben
Whick CDI came with the bike the 6 or 8 wire ? how doe's the CDI get a signal from the crank shaft ? it has to have someway of telling the CDI when to fire the sparkplug

·
Registered
276 Posts

Cheers,
Ben
Your right orange is kill.....so how doe's it know when to fire there has got to be a crank sensor or trigger switch.....can you still contact the owner you bought it from to find out if he changed any parts ?

·
Registered
276 Posts
the black wire coming out of the coil...what does that get connected to ? try unhooking it then see what happens ..I bet that's the kill switch and if its grounded you will get no spark......my 250 is pistol whipping me ...I got a great spark but it mite have a bad CDI...good thing I bought 3 of them ....sorry to hear you bought a:gun_bandana: KTM
can you send a picture of the inside of the stator cover ? it mite help and the crank sensor

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ill get pictures up tonight, the crank position sensor has green and black wires coming out of it and the wire coil itself has the two blues.
I FIXED MY BIKE !!!!!!! Ben I just found a site that has a really nice CHEAP ignition for your bike....get rid of that SEM garbage and put a modern ignition in it and you can go riding this year ha ha

Horse power ignition .com ...half the price of the others.....go to youtube and look at Bajadog ktm 250 that's my bike I bought for 300 buckshttp://youtu.be/kbOD9qXfssg

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ill get pictures up tonight, the crank position sensor has green and black wires coming out of it and the wire coil itself has the two blues.
Horse power ignition ....model 068k199 $221 .00 bucks...everyone else wants $450.00 bucks for it......send the other pics and we'll see if we can fix what you got but at least I found a modern option for you

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I FIXED MY BIKE !!!!!!! Ben I just found a site that has a really nice CHEAP ignition for your bike....get rid of that SEM garbage and put a modern ignition in it and you can go riding this year ha ha

Horse power ignition .com ...half the price of the others.....go to youtube and look at Bajadog ktm 250 that's my bike I bought for 300 buckshttp://youtu.be/kbOD9qXfssg
Where did you pick up your ignition? From what year? I like the sounds of the horsepower ignition, http://hpi.be/applistlist.php?writeimg=068K199&select=STK&clr=c right?

$225 aint bad. I assume I should get the analog cdi option. I wish they had measurements for the base plate so I can make sure the stator will fit before forking over that kind of money (twice what I paid for the bike ha)

Next I'd be looking for a clutch as mine doesnt seem to be disengaging the trans, unless it breaks free when I get an ignition in it that's stage 2.

In any event, here is a picture of the stator flywheel and the wires coming out. black and green -> crank position, blue and blue from inner thermoset coils (ill get a picture of that next)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Where did you pick up your ignition? From what year? I like the sounds of the horsepower ignition, http://hpi.be/applistlist.php?writeimg=068K199&select=STK&clr=c right?

$225 aint bad. I assume I should get the analog cdi option. I wish they had measurements for the base plate so I can make sure the stator will fit before forking over that kind of money (twice what I paid for the bike ha)

Next I'd be looking for a clutch as mine doesnt seem to be disengaging the trans, unless it breaks free when I get an ignition in it that's stage 2.

In any event, here is a picture of the stator flywheel and the wires coming out. black and green -> crank position, blue and blue from inner thermoset coils (ill get a picture of that next)

I had an old 1984 ktm 250 sitting in my garage and used the motoplat system from it....The system from Horse power is complete....write to them and ask them just to make sure....I like the twin mapping that is an option if you've looked up other ignitions you can see most are over 500 bucks

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had an old 1984 ktm 250 sitting in my garage and used the motoplat system from it....The system from Horse power is complete....write to them and ask them just to make sure....I like the twin mapping that is an option if you've looked up other ignitions you can see most are over 500 bucks
The clutch plates are stuck together from sitting so long....put it in gear and try rocking it until it un-freezes or you can remove the cover and put a screw driver in-between the plates and free them...DO NOT take the clutch apart and you must pull on the clutch lever to open the pressure plate...works everytime.....No gasket ? use Yamabond from Yamaha.....the problem looks like you have 2 different CDI boxes....stop wasting money on the SEM ignition Just think... a nice magneto system no more crank sensor no more CDI box no more thinking your bike is going to puke out on the trail....it's win win..... I just fixed my KX after sitting for 5 years I cleaned the old fuel out and it started first kick.....Love the Kawasaki's great bikes......You got the KTM cheap now buy a good ignition for it and you'll have fun for years on it

·
Registered
276 Posts
No kill switch on the bike, not entirely sure what you mean by pickup sqitch there is a magnetic pick up for the magnet on the flywheel both are present and intact as far as I can tell. I ordered a used CDI on ebay that will hopefully come in sometime this week.
Have you fixed it ?

·
Registered
276 Posts
It'll be next pay check before I can pick up the horse power system.
Dude i'm happy I found that ignition for you when I was looking for one for mine I could only find that REALLY expensive set up from " Electrexworld.uk" go to there site and look how much they want for that system 2 x as much and they are really arrogant people....when you get it going I want to see you post a video on youtube so I can see it running.....I was out in the yard today riding around and can't believe the balls my 250 has p.s after you take the old ignition off sell the parts on ebay and it will offset the money you spent.....coil $65.00..... each of the CDI boxes $100.00 bucks....they work but they are not a matching set....this is the problem..... BUT if your coil says the words 2 stroke on it you could name your price on it that's how rare of a coil it is

·
Registered
276 Posts

make sure before you order the new ignition you talk with them and make sure you get the right ignition ...better to be safe then sorry

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 94 250sx and had ignition problems. Unfortunitly, I had the "waffle" looking CDI box and could not find another one. KTM even stopped making it because it was a POS and that is why they only used it one year.
I found a company that makes replacement parts for bikes like that, it is called
Penton Racing Products. I talked to a greta salesman Jerry and I ended up getting a whole new system for $500.00
I know that is a lot, but, everything from the stator assy to new plug wire including cut-off wire came brand new and I put it on myself with no issues and worked fine.
Now, it has all new parts that can be found and no problems with trying to find old parts that may, or may not last after spending a bit of money on it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a 94 250sx and had ignition problems. Unfortunitly, I had the "waffle" looking CDI box and could not find another one. KTM even stopped making it because it was a POS and that is why they only used it one year.
I found a company that makes replacement parts for bikes like that, it is called
Penton Racing Products. I talked to a greta salesman Jerry and I ended up getting a whole new system for $500.00
I know that is a lot, but, everything from the stator assy to new plug wire including cut-off wire came brand new and I put it on myself with no issues and worked fine.
Now, it has all new parts that can be found and no problems with trying to find old parts that may, or may not last after spending a bit of money on it.
Horse power sells it for $225.00... want to buy the old CDI box ? I have 3 of them SEM = GARBAGE

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
About this Discussion
55 Replies
6 Participants
hookuspookus
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing