KTM Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Where did you pick up your ignition? From what year? I like the sounds of the horsepower ignition, http://hpi.be/applistlist.php?writeimg=068K199&select=STK&clr=c right?

$225 aint bad. I assume I should get the analog cdi option. I wish they had measurements for the base plate so I can make sure the stator will fit before forking over that kind of money (twice what I paid for the bike ha)

Next I'd be looking for a clutch as mine doesnt seem to be disengaging the trans, unless it breaks free when I get an ignition in it that's stage 2.

In any event, here is a picture of the stator flywheel and the wires coming out. black and green -> crank position, blue and blue from inner thermoset coils (ill get a picture of that next)

As I said its a COMPLETE system...including base plate

·
Registered
5 Posts
1988 gs 250

Hey HP
Do I have to use an original spark plug coil for this bike [1988 gs250] or can I use one from a different year model? Also how do I check the voltage from the pickup coil[red green and black wires] that plug into the digital control.....in the manual it shows a test box to plug into but I don't think anyone would have one of these......The stator checks out ok for voltage and resistence.
Thanks Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hey HP
Do I have to use an original spark plug coil for this bike [1988 gs250] or can I use one from a different year model? Also how do I check the voltage from the pickup coil[red green and black wires] that plug into the digital control.....in the manual it shows a test box to plug into but I don't think anyone would have one of these......The stator checks out ok for voltage and resistence.
Thanks Dave
I put a B9EG plug in the 90 MX250 made a noticible difference over the standard BR9ES, I ordered them from the local O'Reilly auto parts store about $3.59/ea, found here. Make sure you get the right end for your cap. I never able to find anything conclusive on testing the coil to the cdi without the box, which might as well be a myth. I wen't with the HPI ignition HP suggested and with the exception of it not being keyed was a great choice to get my bike running.

-Ben

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thanks Ben
I need a plug coil that looks similar to http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-KTM-250MX-coil-/221361560220 ...probably hard to get?
Yeah I was thinking of converting to HPI ....How do you install without a key slot?
Thanks Dave.
I have seen a few of coils like that show up on ebay when I was looking for oem ignition parts. It's really a gamble though with how hard they are to test. The breaking point for me was HP's recommendation and looking at spending $200 on something like this versus getting something modern.

I read about the keyway it's really only meant for alignment, though it seems like it would provide more, the nut pressing the rotor to the taper of the crank is what does the work. I didn't torque it tight enough off the bat and the rotor spun. I have read that people use valve-lapping compound to help hold the rotor in place but the key is torque.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gs 250

Yep I agree
I don't know if the digital control box works as yet..... so I think I'll go HPI from the start rather than flogging a dead horse.
Cheers Dave

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hey HP
Thanks Dave
When you pulled the stator cover off is the pick up- broken ? I have a few of the CDI boxes Husqvarna uses the same ones and that tester you see in the pic was probly thrown in the garbage right after that pic was taken....Do you have a manual for the bike ? I do...... Listen I used a Motoplat ignition on mine and got rid of that crappy SEM garbage....I used the one from my 1984 ktm 250 ( parts bike ) and it started first kick......And no more CDI box.....SEM is total garbage......I have a video on you tube on how to time the motoplat " Moto plat ignition timing".....The Motoplat is just the stator and a set of wires that go straight to the Motoplat coil........ you'll need The Motoplat Stator The Motoplat coil and flywheel and the stator plate OR you can buy a Really modern ignition from Horse power.....Go look at the site....NICE ignition And its modern !

·
Registered
5 Posts
KTM gs 250

Thanks HP and Ben
No the pick up is not broken and the 3 wires from the pick up also seem fine.
I don't have a manual but found some info here http://www.mxbikes.com/forum/download_thread.php?site=mxbikes&bn=mxbikes_ktm1&thread=1080843808
I saw your video on youtube ......Mate top work!!!!
I spoke to a local KTM mechanic and he has even put complete jap bike ignitions into these.........so he says? ......But take a look at what this bloke did to his 1986 Husky in OZ http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=16308.0
I can get a 92 ktm spark plug coil to try and give back if it doesn't work,...are these the same?
Thanks Dave

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks HP and Ben
No the pick up is not broken and the 3 wires from the pick up also seem fine.
I don't have a manual but found some info here http://www.mxbikes.com/forum/download_thread.php?site=mxbikes&bn=mxbikes_ktm1&thread=1080843808
I saw your video on youtube ......Mate top work!!!!
I spoke to a local KTM mechanic and he has even put complete jap bike ignitions into these.........so he says? ......But take a look at what this bloke did to his 1986 Husky in OZ http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=16308.0
I can get a 92 ktm spark plug coil to try and give back if it doesn't work,...are these the same?
Thanks Dave
I wouldn't be surprised at all that he put a Jap bike ignition in it.....Just need the time to do it And I'm sure it was 10x better then anything KTM used

·
Administrator
14,818 Posts
Great thread guys with good info, it's stickied now.

Glad you have WAY more patience than me with
older KTMs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1988 ktm gs 250

Hi
Just A follow up on how I got her goin'
Just to see what would happen, I ordered a $5 chinese cdi and $8 coil that fits a 110 to 160 pit bike/thumpstar 4 stroke..........Started 2nd kick......so my stator and pickup trigger must be OK..........I haven't rode her yet as still to fix the brakes and put a new air filter on....but if it works after a good workout I'll put up pics and show how to do it......Anyone know where to get a rear brake master cylinder rebuild kit for a 1988 ktm gs 250?
Cheers Dave

·
Administrator
14,818 Posts
Hi
Just to see what would happen, I ordered a $5 chinese cdi and $8 coil that fits a 110 to 160 pit bike/thumpstar 4 stroke..........Started 2nd kick......so my stator and pickup trigger must be OK..........I haven't rode her yet as still to fix the brakes and put a new air filter on....but if it works after a good workout I'll put up pics and show how to do it......Anyone know where to get a rear brake master cylinder rebuild kit for a 1988 ktm gs 250?
Cheers Dave
Glad to hear you've sorted out the ignition.
As far as the master cylinder, I've looked at photos of the 1988
rear master cylinder. One could probably use any from a KTM 250
up to 1994.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi
Cheers Dave
what happened to your post on showing how to do the cdi and coil change ?

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
About this Discussion
55 Replies
6 Participants
hookuspookus
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing