KTM Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I imagine that I’m going to have some random questions about my bike. I appreciate the help.

I bought it a few months ago and I’ve been working on fixing it up. Right now, I’m concerned about my fork clicker. I noticed that the previous owner may have not tightened down the forks in the triple clamp. The clickers were rammed into the handlebars. I rebuilt the forks, set them a bit lower to prevent this and tightened them down. I took it out for a short ride, got home and saw that my left clicker is gone. I have no idea when it happened. I believe these are the Marzocchi 45 magnum forks (there were two options in 1995). Is it a bad idea to just ride it like this? I can‘t seem to find a replacement part for it. Any one have ideas? Thanks.

·
Dirt tracker
3,761 Posts
Congratulations or sympathy for you. Vintage KTMs are awesome bikes but can sometimes present a challenge sourcing parts. Your fork adjuster should be a simple fix. Used parts are best sourced from bike salvage/scrapper. I find ebay and used bike trader classifieds a good resource. Be sure your parts are returnable if they don't fit. Be sure to loosen triple clamp before attempting removal of adjuster. Post pictures of your vintage treasure here. We love the old bikes here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Augie! I’ve done a few things since getting it. I’ve rebuild the forks and shock, cleaned the carb, new carbon boyesen reeds, glued the air filter bracket together, new air filter, new grips, made a plastic piece for the chain guard and replaced a trashed / custom cut and bailing wire tied silencer. I bought a new 6 days silencer locally and welded it to the pipe of the old one. She’s doing all right now except the fork adjuster.

·
Dirt tracker
3,761 Posts
She's looking good lad! Good old vintage KTM ya got there. Nice work you done as well! Very good (y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I’ve been trying to replace a clutch cable and having trouble. I pulled the ignition cover off and found some fragments in there. No idea what they were from but they were decent size chunks. When installing the new cable it would not stay seated where it goes into the case. I had everything lengthened out all the way on the cable and the clutch perch. It would barely actuate the clutch. Any thoughts? I’m completely baffled.

·
Dirt tracker
3,761 Posts
Could be incorrect cable or possibly something inside clutch is damaged. Try actuating your clutch arm in motor with a vise grip and observe its full travel with cable disconnected. Once you observe its travel hold your cable near and observe where the cable end and barrel should be. This can determine if your cable is correct length. If the actuator refuses to move, you may have trouble inside clutch. Sometimes the clutch cover fasteners are not locktited and fastened securely and will cause cable to appear too short.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I can tell it is the correct cable. It’s a motion pro that Rocky Mountain says fits my bike. Motion pro website isn’t helpful though. I have it side by side with the old one and they are same length etc. however it actually feels like the cable itself is too long, but the cable housing (is that what it’s called?) is too short. I even tried to put the old cable back on and it does the same thing. I thought I had them routed the same way as before. The housing won’t stay in the perch or the case. When either one is installed the lever will go all the way to the handlebar and barely move the lever in the case.

·
Dirt tracker
3,761 Posts
Aftermarket cables are notoriously inaccurate. If your casing is shorter it will never grow to fit. That is likely your trouble. Be sure to check actuator for proper movement. You may need to search for a cable length chart. Motion pro tech services may be able to help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts