KTM Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I had read it was better. Hell, I have the 97 donor frame it would work on. My only hesitation is I only have a bill of sale for the donor, no title. The VIN checks clean. My this becomes a frankstein 95/97 300/360 ?

·
Dirt Wizard
4,191 Posts
I had read it was better. Hell, I have the 97 donor frame it would work on. My only hesitation is I only have a bill of sale for the donor, no title. The VIN checks clean. My this becomes a frankstein 95/97 300/360 ?
Nothin wrong with that. As long as you remember what part off what model is where.
A lot of cross bread mongrel dogs turn out to be better than purebred.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Did a little more investing into the SEM. I found one web site that had what looked liked what I have. It was listed for a 1994 440 SX. Not solid proof, but a lead. Then I got some brains and looked at the coil, TM11-09. Looked that up, and it is for a 1994 440 SX. It is part of a SEM K10 ignition system. The 95 300 ran the SEM K11. I'm not educated enough to what the differences are between the K10 and the K11. So I think I'm going to give the 2k2 a run.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Friggin Frankenbike

I like Frankenbike!! It would make sense to put the jap ignition on it. I’m not a fan of swapping frames to do the conversion, but if you don’t mind the work you will still have a great bike. As @DW suggested, you could add brackets to mount coil and module on your existing frame but if you strip it down to bare frame you can build it back up real nice and pretty:x come on now.... you wanted to make it nice anyways..:grin2: didn’t you???

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So, today I started the put together. I donated blood this morning, so I got a free high every time I bent over or stood up to fast. Top that off with high 90's and dehydration, and you have the definition of a snail's pace rebuild. I did manage to get the Z dimension set at 46, and the X dimension at 0. The power valve is all back together, cylinder is back on, and I got the clutch and stator mounted and torqued. Not bad for an old man on the verge of blacking out. ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
She is back together. I made the mistake of calling her a pig before. She is not a pig. She's a donkey. She just want to kick you in the face. Holy ****. I can tell my life long run of no broken bones is going to come to an end due to this bike. I'll try and post some pics and video tomorrow when I get into work.

·
Dirt Wizard
4,191 Posts
Just want to say, you're a legend @weedlej78.
Giving blood is an ultimate thing to do in my eye's.
Something I have always wanted to do, but nearly pass out just getting a blood test.

Fargin life saver, well done:wink2:

Enjoy that 2 banger.

·
Dirt Wizard
4,191 Posts
Good ol zippy ties!

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Give blood...but not too much

I couldn't find the duct tape.?
Ah buddy! I saw that picture of that ignition mess you made there and I started to worry about you....then I remembered you had just given blood so I figured maybe you was a bit loopy still:| but if yez is gonna use duct tape go to the store and find you some gorilla tape. That stuff is 5 times stronger than duct tape. But seriously....make some proper brackets for your ignition. Before the duct tape police find you and things get really weird:surprise:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The current rigging is just for testing. Luckily, I work in steel fabrication so getting exactly what I want is no problem. Just have to draw up some brackets and get them fabricated and shipped (I work remote from the shop). Still might use some duct tape just to be a wise @ss.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Gorilla tape is a thing

Yeah. I kind of got that. Try to duplicate ignition donor frame mounting... but don’t start welding until you test fit fuel tank. :surprise: what could be worse than making that pretty mounting assembly and finding tank is shaped differently than donor bike:frown2: I was serious about gorilla tape(not for mounting ignition) if you can find that stuff it is awesome. Super strong and nearly bulletproof. VIVA Frankenbike :smile2:

·
Dirt Wizard
4,191 Posts
I like the ol Zippy ties and gaffa tape, can be used for many useful things.
Even restraining humans.........can I say that? Probably shouldn't have said that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I'm pretty sure if there was a manual on raising kids, it would have a section called "Duct tape, Zip ties, and kids - How to get them to sit down, shut up, and bring you sanity".

Quick update, the 300's motor is running strong. I've moved on to fixing the rear tire. It was missing a spoke or two and had a flat. Once that's done, it moving on to the front to service the forks. Fun times, fun times.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Well good on you for your perspective on the pleasure derived from restoring your motorcycle. You seem to be making good progress. Keep up the good work and keep posting progress reports and check in as needed for help or advice.....help and advice for the bike...the kids???ahh..
I got nothin....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I've had my butt handed to me for the last month or so by my allergies and the wonderful wildfire smoke out here in the west, so not much has gone on with the 300. I did want to post a pic, I did manage to get the grips on. Hopefully this next month is easier on my candy a$$.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Old Katos never die

Old KTMs never die, even sometimes when we wish they would die:| always good to hear from you. Stay low, where the smoke ain’t. Great picture of that old soldier. I’m partial to the black plastics also. Love those old Katie’s!! Keep em runnin:grin2:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Can't stay low, the valley fills with smoke and then gets trapped by the inversion (hi and low pressure). Some days it's so bad, it makes Beijing during the Olympics look like a fresh day. Now if only it were 2 stroke smoke, now that would be heaven.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts