KTM Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Dirt bike fragrance

Can't stay low, the valley fills with smoke and then gets trapped by the inversion (hi and low pressure). Some days it's so bad, it makes Beijing during the Olympics look like a fresh day. Now if only it were 2 stroke smoke, now that would be heaven.
Yea buddy! I’m right there with you on the smell of 2smoke exhaust:smile2:
The only thing that smells bettern leaded premix is friggin nitromethane or methanol and castor oil. :grin2: any of you fellows remember blendzall or benol??? Love the smell of that stuff

Reactions: weedlej78 and DW

·
Dirt Wizard
4,191 Posts
Yea buddy! I’m right there with you on the smell of 2smoke exhaust:smile2:
The only thing that smells bettern leaded premix is friggin nitromethane or methanol and castor oil. :grin2: any of you fellows remember blendzall or benol??? Love the smell of that stuff
Ooh yeah. 2 banger Castor oil. Love the smell of 927. The ambience of that sh-t would put a horn on a jellyfish.

Reactions: weedlej78

·
Registered
3 Posts
So a little off the typic of timing. The pawl gear eyelets on my kickstarter broke, locking the kickstarter the kickstart gear. So since I had to drain all my fluids I decided to check out my top end. This is what I found:

"X" dimension on the piston was .15 (with a torqued down cylinder), manual say max is .1 before torqueing.

Piston looks brand new, aside from the heavy carbon from the jetting I've been chasing. No blow by on the rings.

Piston ring gaps were .13 and .15. Manual lists the max at .4.

The flapper valve in the PV assembly appears to be from a 96 or 97. More than likely a 97 KTM 360 (that's what my donor bike is). Not sure if that's a big deal but there are differences, main bearings on a 95 vs bushings on a 97. When I assemble the PV everything fits snug and there is no side to side or up and down movement, just axial movement like what's needed.

I had replaced the o-rings on both the flapper and control valves. When I inspected the control valves, it appears that the springs are doing nothing. In fact, I put a straight edge on the control valve sides and you could see like between it and the top of the o-ring. I think this helps explain why I had a virtual wind tunnel coming out of these two points during my leak down test. I'm not sure how or if this needs to be remedied.

The rod has no up and down movement at the crank, and almost no side to side.

So my plan of attack is to get a complete engine gasket kit, and stator side crank seal. I've already replaced the clutch side, thanks to some findings from my leak down test. I'm going to shim the cylinder per manual specs. Replace cylinder studs, nuts, and head bolts. They looked a little shady and neglected.

I've fixed the kicker starter my parts from the donor bike, but I think I'm going to replace the kickstarter spring and ratchet spring. I really don't want to pull the clutch again due to aged parts.

I've set the "Z" dimension, however, I'm a bit lost on what the true height is for a 95 KTM 300 MXC. My manual says it's for a 91 thru 97 and gives 46mm. I have a manual for a 96 and it gives 48mm for 300 SX and MXC. I went with 48mm and will check during assembly that there is no issues with the flap and piston/rings.

Now as for the control valves, what do I do about the o-rings? The o-rings I put on are KTM OEM parts. However, when I did my leak down test, I could get it to pressurized to 6psi but once I took the air away I'd drop to 0 in less than 10 seconds. This is the only remaining leak I can detect.

Last question/issue, would anything listed above add to or mask itself as jetting issues?

Sorry for the long post, I'm trying to process a lot of small issues I "inherited" from the previous owner's project short cuts. Please be gentle if you have to correct me for any ignorance in my info above. I don't want my kids to see their dad crying over a dirt bike.?

Hey do you still ha e your manuel does it say dimension z for exc is also 46mm??

41 - 43 of 43 Posts