KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a chance at buying my first Ktm. New bottom end four years ago and top last year. Lectron carb.
I am not super handy. Never done a top end before. Question is: am I asking for trouble with maintenance and be better off gettting something newer? Bike would do everything I love to do, but just wondering if I would be wrenching a lot…
Price is around 2grand… bike is street legal which is a huge plus for me

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Hello and welcome. Your 99 is still a legitimate weapon by modern standards. Price is reasonable by current pricing here. Street legal is even better. Some new parts are being discontinued for those but most stuff is easily sourced. Those years are nearly bulletproof but you should expect a bike that age would need regular care and service to keep it purring. I would buy that bike myself at that price. Good luck to you. Be sure to report back here once you purchase it to brag a bit.

Reactions: Ttr225

·
Dirt Wizard
4,536 Posts
As long as it doesn't have the sems ignition (which by around 99 they were mostly fazed out) you will have a reliable bike.
Parts may start to get a little tricky.
I had a 97 360, once I fixed the ignition system on it, I basically never laid a spanner on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello and welcome. Your 99 is still a legitimate weapon by modern standards. Price is reasonable by current pricing here. Street legal is even better. Some new parts are being discontinued for those but most stuff is easily sourced. Those years are nearly bulletproof but you should expect a bike that age would need regular care and service to keep it purring. I would buy that bike myself at that price. Good luck to you. Be sure to report back here once you purchase it to brag a bit.
Oh I sure will!

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

On the picture it looks like the bike ha been well cared for. When we buy used MX bikes there are a few giveaways re past owner/s:
  • Any bolts/nuts that are worn or damaged with tools?
  • Wrong bolts/nuts fitted?
  • Rust in places?
  • All bearings OK?
  • Oil leaks in suspension/from motor?

Things like worn clutch, sprockets, chain, chain guides, brake pedal, seat, grips on handlebars etc. does not worry me as they are all easily replaced.

Does bike start easily?
Some initial smoke when cold is acceptable, but not after motor is warm.

But a bike from 1999 is now 22 years old and would have been used, so do not expect a new bike! As others have already mentioned, some parts are getting harder to find. But there is still parts out there, you will just have to figure out where you can get them!

Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts