KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's KTM of the Month Challenge!
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
yeah i know the rtv wouldn't last. it would be for a weekend band aid solution (unless it would fail under that time frame)

the guy that would make the O ring knows its for direct fuel contact and has access to the material to make the proper one... apparently. though I will more then likely have a rebuild kit ordered once they come in stock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
well o ring fits ALMOST perfectly for the gas tank petcock will suffice until we can get a rebuild kit in. Manage to get the rear brake working though the front I found the culprit.... bleeder screw leaks at the threads so will have to order a new one but until then some PTFE tape will be a quick temp fix.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
I will say the brakes are being a little bit of a head ache. should these brembo brakes not go rock hard at full lock? previously the front brakes would barely slow the bike and the back brakes were non existent (you could turn the rear tire by hand with the pedal pushed all the way down)

I bled both the front and back, the front SEEM to work better and we can now lock up the rear (when spinning the tires on a stand). but i haven't tested in dirt yet as we are trying to fix the petcock o-ring. (their sold out here) unless i order one from KTM though it will be too late for this weekend's camping trip we plan on taking it to
Good work there! Re the brakes: We race MX with KTM 2 strokers and used to struggle with the front brake being too soft after one race and needed re-bleeding before the next race. We rebuilt the master and slave, we replaced the brake fluid (all this many times) but it only stayed good for a day. So in the end I fitted an old Yamaha handbrake master I had and all our troubles went away! As we get a different racing bike (all KTM 2 strokes) we fit the Yamaha master also. Both our bikes now have them!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
dont have any pics yet of it. but the bike did its 1st maiden trip this past weekend flawlessly! was mainly a fishing camping trip so we didnt ride all that much but more then likely put around 4 hours of ride time on it.

on that note i got a quick question. the bike seems to be running pretty darn rich! the plug doesnt look oil fouled but its spewing a bit of sludge from the exhaust tip and it consistently smokes pretty heavily even after a good clean out run. Is the stock jetting generally rich?

stock jetting air screw 1 turn out.

Ipone samourai 100% synthetic mixed at 40:1

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Happy to hear the old girl ran well for you. 4 hours is a good test run. I don't fuss much about exhaust spooge. If the plug burns nice and motor runs good I don't fuss much about spooge. Jetting is only one part of the cause of it and sometimes its not jetting at all. Premix ratio and oil flash point are also factors. Riding conditions and muffler packing are also factors. It's good practice to repack muffler regularly anyway so you can try that but I wouldn't worry much about smoke or spooge at all unless it was sucking transmission fluid through crank seal. A check of transmission fluid can sometimes spot that trouble or super oil fouled plug are indications of crank seal leak. If it's only smoking a bit and running good she's a keeper.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
good call on the exhaust packing. didnt think of that one. its definitely not burning trans oil been there done that haha. may lean out the air screw a lil touch to see how she will go with that. sometimes that 1/4 turn is all it takes to be in the sweet spot. other then that will definitely just keep riding it and touch up the couple of things left that were to be done.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts